No announcement yet.

To 2000AD or beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just trying to compromise. What I would really want is getting to Alpha Centauri, although I usualy prefer conquest or cultural victory.

Comment

New Poll Needed?

I have not read all the posts, but the two options in the poll do not capture people's opinions:

2010 - no future units or abilities

2050 - very limited future tech

2100 - some future tech

2200 - 3000 and beyond - Let's blue-sky about the future and make it real in Civ4!!!

My vote is for 2100 with the victory condition of the first successful permanent settlement on Mars
      ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
      "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
      Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Re: New Poll Needed?

[SIZE=1] My vote is for 2100 with the victory condition of the first successful permanent settlement on Mars
        Hmmm. I like that. It could make for a semi-open ending: You discover the stuff you need for the spaceship, plus terraforming, ecology, etc.

You can build and launch your ship, but that doesn't mean your Mars colony will be successful. But once you've reseearched the entire tech tree, you can focus on improving your spaceship parts, terraforming, etc.

So, instead of "Future Tech 1", you've got "Terraforming 2" or "Low Gravity Combat"--I dunno, techs that improve your chance of successfully colonizing.

I'm not for actually going to Mars in the game.

[ok]
        [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

I would like to see some sort of expansion into the future.

We start the game so many thousands of years ago, it would be good if we could look a few hundred years nto the future.
          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
          I am of the Horde.

Comment

I'd like to see an expansion/stand alone game like MoO 2 that Civ would transform to once you won the game with by landing a colony ship or something.

Sorta have a "You won the game!" screen then switch to a futuristic planet level conquest/civilization game.

Comment

dunno if someone siad this before (to lazy to read long english posts ), but, how about play until 2100 as a normal game, then it ends but there's is going to be more techs/eras if you like to continue.
              That would seem to be a waste of time for the programmers.

as for the basic idea of adding MORE MORE MORE and chaning civ's overall tone to one of weirdness (CTP)... just wondering did anyone play Empire Earth and consider it a better overall game than Age of Empires?

Which was the more polished (for its time)? Which was the standout above the crowd?

Empire Earth threw in the kitchen sink.
              Age of Empires perfected things.

I would rather Civ be Age of Empires and focus on HISTORY... it's purpose than be Empire Earth/Call to Power and venture into the strange age of mechs and weird Alpha Centauri-like techs and diamond ages
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
                I'd like to see an expansion/stand alone game like MoO 2 that Civ would transform to once you won the game with by landing a colony ship or something.

Sorta have a "You won the game!" screen then switch to a futuristic planet level conquest/civilization game.
                Here's how you can do that real easy, in four simple steps:

1. Win spaceship victory

2. Remove C4 CD

3. Insert SMAC CD

4. Click "Play"

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

That would seem to be a waste of time for the programmers.
                  It seems that almost any feature could be a waste of time for programmers... the question is... is there any demand for future technologies in Civ... and the poll shows that there is at least some... probably enough, in fact to include in the game, as an option, not a requirement.

Thus those who choose can stop tech development at 2050, and there can be an extended tech progression for the others who choose to continue.

I would rather Civ be Age of Empires and focus on HISTORY... it's purpose
                  Thats a rather presumptive statement... I'd say that most of the time civ games are divergent from "History".

The game as a whole seems to be more an empire (ok.. or a collection of cities and units) simulator, than a history simulator. The whole game is an abstraction... whats wrong with abstracting a future... as an optional choice?

Comment

I am completely against any future tech, and I think the Great Project at the end should be something that is imaginable with today's science (moon base could do the trick IMHO)
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Well I honestly can't see whats wrong with giant stompy robots.
                      Honda already has a medium stompy robot so it can't be tooo far off. Nor is the neural interface. Besides it would be funnnn.

Comment

If things don't happen as in real history before 2004, why is it so different to see what happens after?

Comment

Thats a rather presumptive statement... I'd say that most of the time civ games are divergent from "History".
                          They are based upon real history. that is the differece.

Have you ever noticed how people... hardcore and casual gamers gravitate towards games that are based on things that they KNOW?

More people bought Civ II and III than Alpha Centauri.
                          And I think the same thing goes for MOO II/III.

People understand what a chariot is... they don't want to have to memorize the relative advantages of a "Boolean Boot Drive" over a "Romulan Space Cannon"

Thats what mods are for Civ Games.
                          ---
                          I say keep the game historical and end it in 2025. (with future tech bonus capabilities: Future Tech #1,2,3,etc.)
                          -->Visit CGN!
                          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

If the future isn't in the main game, at least let the designers do their own interstellar/ mars/ Alpha Centauri/ moon/ otherwise future scenarios.

Comment

I'd got with somewhere between the two mentioned dates... Something like 2100... I would like to go into the future, but not too far...
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

i dunno, it could be kinda cool that after you build a spaceship, you could try and colonize other planets and continue building your nation from an earth nation to an intersteller empire, colinizong planetes and battleing not only other rival human factions (if they still exist), but also alien races...

Well, maybe not for civ 4, but that would be a cool game somewhere down the line. be difficult to pull off tho, would have to develope some sort of awesome auto-micromangaing for that one or maybe after you colonize your first planet, it switches to planets as the base producer instead of cities
                                "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                                - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                                Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X