No announcement yet.

To 2000AD or beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would we want to limit this game to 2000 when we can satisfy everybody by:

- building a technology tree with futurist techs like in CTP2
    - keeping the "by era" organization
    - giving the player the control of two separate parameters: last year, and maximum tehcnological period.

Thus, if you like playing sci fi, which was a part I did enjoy in CTP2, you can. ANd if you like playing medieval or even only antiquity, which I sometimes tried by changing some game parameters, you still can.

So why try to make unpopular choices when two simple parameters can satisfy everybody?
    Where everybody thinks alike, nobody thinks very much.
    Diplomacy is the art of letting others have your way.

Comment

• As I'm sure I've said earlier, any development time and resources that goes into developing futuristic stuff is time and resources that doesn't go into developing other areas of the game. For example, perhaps if Civ3 had gone up to 2500 they wouldn't have been able to add the element of culture. The game would have lasted longer but had less depth. So the choice is really between a long thin game and a short deep one, if you see what I mean. Perhaps the ideal is a long deep one but that ain't going to happen. Civilisation is a history-based game, and I would rather it kept the same scope but tried to be as deep as possible within that scope. Sid and co gave us Alpha Centauri for those who like the futuristic stuff.

Comment

• face the future with unwavering eyes
        Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
        So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
        rocking on everest

Comment

• I like the idea of ending the game at 2050, and having a "launch to Alpha Centauri" option. Then, just pop in SMAC and continue the fun.

What we really need is a SMAC 2, or at least a patch that drastically improves the AI. I'd be very happy with that.

I agree about leaving the future stuff out of Civ4. Maybe they could have several expansions - one could be a futuristic one with alien contacts and invasions, mech walkers, inter-planetary travel, nanorobots, whatever.
          Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

• Rip enough ideas off other games, and you have enough to base a future society on.
            I say go for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeiter
              I like the idea of ending the game at 2050, and having a "launch to Alpha Centauri" option. Then, just pop in SMAC and continue the fun.

What we really need is a SMAC 2, or at least a patch that drastically improves the AI. I'd be very happy with that.

I agree about leaving the future stuff out of Civ4. Maybe they could have several expansions - one could be a futuristic one with alien contacts and invasions, mech walkers, inter-planetary travel, nanorobots, whatever.
              So are you popping in SMAC or MOO2 after you finish Civ?

With the colony to Alpha Centauri and all, I think they have to end it around 2000 or so. Afterall, we really don't know what the technology will be like in 50 years, let alone 100 or 1000. I think it is possible that in 1000 we won't be worrying about war and the like. I won't place odds or bets on that though, just that with the right tech it could happen.

-Drachasor
              "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

• Please don't pass 2050.....
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• Perhaps a mix. The date is not so important, but 2050 is nice because it's near future, and it's the traditional end year. A few 'future' techs could be included, I think, but make them not so much 'future' as 'emerging technologies', like fuel cells, superconductors and (maybe) fusion. As a physicist I know such things are achieved in labs (exept for the fusion, well maybe, but just a little bit) all the time, and it will only be a question of a decade or two before some of them find their way into military, consumer or business applications. Look at the Giant Magneto-Resistive materials in todays' hard disks - those were pioneered in the 80s in labs.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

• What if you want to keep playing after 2050, just to finalise the conquering you weren't able to do earlier?

Maybe set a cap on the tech tree, but let people play on!

Comment

• I would pop in SMAC.

The SMAC launch was said to be in the year 2060, so I figure if you finish a "colonize Alpha Centauri" wonder in Civ4 by the year 2050, then that leaves 10 years for the final preparations, so I figure it would be realistic and feasible.

I've never played MoO2, but I guess players could instead pop that in, if they would so choose. What is the backstory for that game?
                      Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

• How would SMAC trail on from cIV?
                        It's just one nation that builds the wonder.
                        How does the guy in the nation you just PWND manage to stow away on the UNS Unity?

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                          How would SMAC trail on from cIV?
                          It's just one nation that builds the wonder.
                          How does the guy in the nation you just PWND manage to stow away on the UNS Unity?
                          IIRC, the factions in SMAC are because you were an idiot who picked people of such divergent personalities they couldn't get along without their leader. The leader gets killed en route, hence the factions split. Tsk, tsk.

You would think you could find a qualified group that could get along with each other.

-Drachasor

PS. MOO2 you start just on your homeworld, with perhaps one colony ship, I don't recall. You can travel to nearby worlds and colonize them. The era is 2050 or so at first, I think. There are humans, but also other species.
                          "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

• 3000AD, and if you dont like it, finish earlier...!

Comment

• I voted 3000AD. One of the things I liked about CtP is that it went further into the future. Civ4 can go a few steps further and extend the 4X'ing into the solar system.
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                              X