No announcement yet.

To 2000AD or beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same for me. The futuristic aspect of CtP was definitely great, we want some fusion tanks and space stations damnit
    "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

• Originally posted by Daz
      3000AD, and if you dont like it, finish earlier...!
      I'd rather play 100% of a game than 75% of a game.

I'd also prefer the game not to go into science-fiction. Its too open to going pear-shaped. Leave the future to a dedicated extension/expansion pack if demand is high enough for it.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin
        Leave the future to a dedicated extension/expansion pack if demand is high enough for it.
        Unlikely.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• If you play the future, all feelings of reality are gone.
          Pherhaps that's the reason why I never liked SMAC.

Playing civ is like you actually ARE one of the world leaders. CtP lost me in the end game, it's science fiction to run water and space-cities, but it isn't very satisfactional to my mind.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• I loved CtP, it is what introduced me to TBS. I cIV to go to 2200, that is probably the earliest we would have the technology to have inter-stellar travel. Also, the system that is colonized should be changed, I dought there is an earth-like planet at Alpha Centauri, it is a multiple star system, planetary orbits would not be stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by CyberShy
              If you play the future, all feelings of reality are gone.
              Pherhaps that's the reason why I never liked SMAC.

Playing civ is like you actually ARE one of the world leaders. CtP lost me in the end game, it's science fiction to run water and space-cities, but it isn't very satisfactional to my mind.
              I suppose its just a matter of personal taste. I think it would be more fun to be a world leader in 2500AD than in 2500BC.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin
                I loved CtP, it is what introduced me to TBS. I cIV to go to 2200, that is probably the earliest we would have the technology to have inter-stellar travel. Also, the system that is colonized should be changed, I dought there is an earth-like planet at Alpha Centauri, it is a multiple star system, planetary orbits would not be stable.
                I liked the spacerace victory even if it is unlikely to find a habitable planet at Alpha (or Proxima) Centauri. What I sometimes do is after I have a successful AC launch and the game ends I pull out MOO2 or 3 and play my race in that game to simulate their expansion among the stars.

Comment

• I want to see the game end in 2050, with a few near-future techs (definitely more outer space involvement). However, make sure that the number of eras is moddable so that people can go crazy with their giant robots and whatnot.

-RdF

Comment

• I will go with 2050.
                    However I would like to see a Stealth DD and Cruiser since they are now on the drawing boards will be in service by 2010 or so.

The F-22 is now in service and the F-35 will be in service by 2007/8.

Comment

• We really don't need giant robots. This is not Battletech. They wouldn't stand much of a chance in a near/far future battlefield even if we developed the technology. Much of the mass is used to move and balance them anyway. Anything walking on a battlefield (including people ) is vulnerable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                        What if you want to keep playing after 2050, just to finalise the conquering you weren't able to do earlier?

Maybe set a cap on the tech tree, but let people play on!
                        You already can. You've always been able to.

Comment

• 2000-2050AD.

Save all the future stuff for Alpha Centauri 2.
                          And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

• [double post]
                            Last edited by lajzar; July 20, 2004, 16:58.
                            The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                            And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                            But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                            Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

• Originally posted by roidesfoux
                              I want to see the game end in 2050, with a few near-future techs (definitely more outer space involvement). However, make sure that the number of eras is moddable so that people can go crazy with their giant robots and whatnot.

-RdF
                              Get rid of eras, and you solve this problem. Eras was one of the worst ideas in civ3. Everything they do game-wise could be done just as easily by linking events/interface changes to specific techs instead. The one thing they helped (viewing all teh techs in a logical way) could be implemented in ToT-style by having the local tree for a given tech generated dynamically. This simultaneously reduces teh workload for modders.
                              The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                              And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                              But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                              Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

• Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
                                I think we can have civ go all the way to 3000 AD, when the calendar year is 2950!!!

Totally agree with you DarkCloud.

Now there's a game I'd like to play! What would that be, Civ 73?

My vote would be around ~2100. My opinion is that Civ is just as much about where our civilation is GOING as it is about where we came FROM. How many people play the Zulu trying to recreate their defeat by the British? I like the idea of a Mars colonization being an end goal - afterall, we know WHAT we need, just not HOW to get it yet. It adds grandeur to the game. It could even be a vistory condition option, that way, if you don't want future technology at all, you can disable it and be done with modern technologies.
                                "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

Working...
                                X