X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toby Rowe
    Nickoli, Herreson,

Who was the last person to improve the internal combustion engine?

Taking a great idea and making it even better is not a preserve of the Arms trade, of which Germany is an active member with tanks as usual: It's called progress, and to not not implement the best features from past models would be called stupidity in any language.

If your last Mark (MkI etc) was essentially great, would you try to design an improved version, or pretend that even the idea didn't exist in the first place?

Toby
    Are you talking to me? I was opposed to Heresson, ie near you, in the discussion above, but it seems like you think othertwise?
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• @Trip, Vince: Basic isn't the best language to start with. OK, VB is better than the abominable goto-Basic from the past, but it isn't great either. Neither is Pascal. Java and Python are better languages for beginners.

@Toby: I started gaming on Gameboy and Super Nintendo, but a few years later, I only played PC games, and today I'm programming games in C++ for Linux (as a hobby only). PC games won't die that fast.

Comment

• I mentioned Basic because there's a lot of support and tutorials and such for it. It's recognized as a "learner" language these days. Java, while well supported, has quite a bit more to it, and I wouldn't really recommend it as someone's first language. And Python... while neat, it doesn't have nearly the same level of support as languages like Java or Basic, which I feel is important for someone who is learning.

Comment

Is C++ still the most common programming language?

I'm such a "gobby" git, and have been so annoyed with some Mk2/3/4 game versions, but whilst so full of idea's, I thought I should perhaps learn programming myself, at my age!

If you say it still is C++- then that is what I need to learn?

Toby
          C++ and Java are probably the most two commonly used languages used throughout a variety of ways. Visual Basic, although, is quite oftenly used for pratical business applications.

Yes, having ideas is great, and it is the very nature which makes programming great. You can (try to) apply an idea you have in your mind and bring it to life through a program. That's precisely what I enjoy most about programming myself. However, these ideas you have may be such complex ideas that a few designers, tens of programmers, and even more artists all combine their efforts together to try to accomplish these ideas. Being an amatuer programmer, who more than likely will be working alone, you must not create lofty goals you cannot achieve. Your first goal as a programmer, in more specific game programmer, should be to create a console based tic-tac-toe game. From there you might attempt to create a slightly more complex game. It may seem boring and redundant, but you must first know the basics, which may not be all that easy at first, in order to even make a game like tic-tac-toe.

If you are serious about taking up programming, then I would recommend starting right out with C++ or Java. The only drawback with C++ is its lack of implemented API, essentially graphics and inputs, support. You must use external APIs, such as DirectX, Open GL, SDL, or Allegro. The plus-side to Java is that there are implemented APIs like Java Swing that you can quickly use.

For instance, I know little about Java; however, since it is easy to cross platform between C++ and Java considering their similarities, I first programmed my program (a time calculator) in C++ using the console mode (basic programming mode). Then I transferred the code to Java and used Java Swing to help me turn the program into a GUI. I personally like C++ more myself, which is in large part to that being my most knowledgable language, but I love the documentation and accessibility Java offers. Although, on the flip side Java is a run-time environment based language that requires you to have the most up to date run-times on your computer in order to execute the programs.

www.cprogramming.com, www.javaranch.com, and www.gamedev.net are 3 great sites to use as reference. If you have any other questions you can email me at kyleclark80@hotmail.com I'm probably not the most well acute person on this topic, but through my own experiences learning on my own I'm sure I could give you some valuable feedback if I haven't already.

Good luck.

ps I especially recommend not to take up learning Basic, QBasic, Pascal, Visual Basic, or any other simplified language, because they tend to teach bad programming habits. If you feel comfortable enough with your problem solving skills, then using C++ or Java right away should not be a problem.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

• I wouldn't use terms like API or GUI with non-programming types.

I don't think learning Basic is too much of a problem as long as you're recognizing the fact that you're only learning it for the basic programming concepts and not something greater than that.

Comment

• Yeah, programming's rough. Tic-tac-toe took me a while, and a blackjack game took me half a semester in Grade 10 programming.
              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

• Thanks very much all!

I've saved this page to DT for reference, loads of useful info and views within it.

Sorry Nickolai if I slighted you, I actually didn't mean to offend anyone, It's never a proud position to begin from.

Techwins;

How easy is it to transfer your knowlege/skills of one programme to another? Are they really like a totally different language to each other?

Mentioning the other aspects/tools did lose me somewhat like Trip suggested might happen!
                But, you have given me the names of utililies that programmers use to leap between programmes?

On a side note, what's the chance of a universal code? or are these codes actually owned by companies in competition?

Finally, I couldn't get any of the 3 links you gave to work, even using cut 'n paste, but no matter- the names are there now on the DT

Thanks all again,

Toby

Comment

• No offending here.
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Mentioning the other aspects/tools did lose me somewhat like Trip suggested might happen!
                    Just in case you're curious about the two terms I mentioned, API means Application Program Interface, and is basically how a programming language interacts with a computer's hardware in order to get things done (since usually the programming language you're working with won't be interacting directly with the video card, sound card, etc.). GUI is Graphical User Interface, which is basically the graphical side to programs. Buttons, text boxes, menus, etc. all are parts of the GUI. If you've heard of MS DOS, the GUI is pretty much non-existant... you enter everything as text and get text spit back out at you.

Comment

• Originally posted by tentaal
                      >>I'd like to see the future in Civ4, but not that far into the future as ctp does...

In Civ3 all the sciences are found too early in the game and you can make a l ot of monney because of that. This is not reallistic in the sense that in the "real world" we always search new technologies and spent monney for that.
                      The problem is that the hunter-gather stage is nonexistent. If there was a stone age, then we could explore a little more in the beginning. Also, there is no training period for a new technology. The knowledge is just absorbed and used perfectly from the start.

Comment

• Sorry if this was answered before, but my eyes can's read 10 pages .

I'm a little afraid about Civ4. I've seen a lot of propositions (here, in CFC, and other forums) even me have made the mine, but I've readed in some place that the Civ4 team will ignore almost all of our wishes.

I'm really afraid. I've seen in Civ3 lost some of the good things of Civ2, and the same with C3C and PtW.

There are some good information about Civ4?

Thanks
                        Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

• You should check out that PowerPoint file they gave us, I liked what I saw.

Comment

• @Nikolai: Your answer is to me? If it is, where is the PP file?

Thanks
                            Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

• Just the fact, ma'am

Comment

• Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Working...
                                X