No announcement yet.

Oslo bombed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think you know what "police state" means.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      I don't think you know what "police state" means.
      Sure I do : +2 Police, +2 Support, -2 Efficiency

What I was reffering to was that you don't see armed guards in banks, malls, schools etc. here. At a youth camp, the security will be the teachers or the people behind the arrangement.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Would it be terrible if police could reach any location in under half of an hour in an emergency?

Comment

• Is that the response time in, say Alaska ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
            Is that the response time in, say Alaska ?
            Something like 60% of the state lives in Anchorage and like another 20% in Juneau, and then everyone else owns a small airplane, so yeah. Probably. But Alaska is the boondocks.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              Something like 60% of the state lives in Anchorage and like another 20% in Juneau, and then everyone else owns a small airplane, so yeah. Probably. But Alaska is the boondocks.
              Maybe he's saying that places within 50 km of Oslo are the middle of nowhere?

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                Maybe he's saying that places within 50 km of Oslo are the middle of nowhere?
                Ehrm, try take a look at the place via google maps - it is actually quite close to "middle of nowhere"

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                  Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                  Uhh how are we supposed to learn from this if we don't criticize anyone?
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                    While I don't agree with your positive attitude to ethnic purity, you are correct to recognise the disconnect between the elite and the masses, and also correct to identify the mechanism of moral superiority at play here (bolded above). This sense of superiority manifests itself in various ways, particularly in the contempt for democracy shown by the EU Elite that has been discussed here recently.

The problem with multiculturalism is not multi-ethnicity, but an approach by the elite which seeks to celebrate differences, rather than what people have in common. This is where integration fails, as people are encouraged to look inwards rather than outwards. There is also a sense of victim-mentality which tends to get encouraged. This makes integration much harder.
                    My position on "ethnic purity" isn't as radical as some people here seem to think, I think the nicest places to live are places where 90+% of people identify ethnically as belonging to the nations traditional ethnicity or ethnicities and the mean IQ is above 100. You can get people all over the world to come to such a place and live there as long as their descents identify fully with one of the native ethnicity (say in Germany assimilating either into Germans or Sorbs works fine because Sorbs are a basically a traditional minority, Germany wouldn't be Germany without them. If the US could reduce social dysfunction among Blacks to 1960s or even 1970s levels assimilating African immigrants into the traditional African American culture would be great as well).

Unlike some optimists however I do realize such assimilation is only possible in Europe with traditional rates of immigration or perhaps slightly lower (because they are culturally more distant than say Italian immigrants to France of the 19th century). It also requires a vital and proud culture and nation, something others can admire, not a self hating constantly apologizing post-modernist nation that defines itself as a bunch of laws (ie civic nationalism or constitutional patriotism). So yeah an self-confident assimilationist policy, with a awareness of the continuity of local culture, customs, aesthetics and families would do fine.

I often talk about low IQ immigration being a economic and cultural bane, but just 2/3 of the losses in average IQ in the West are due to immigration, the rest is dysgenics among the residents. Any eugenic policy or culture strong enough to counteract the dysgenic trends would also be strong enugh to uplift the performance of the descendants of the reduced stream of immigrants.

I'm not proposing fixed numbers for this, I'm just proposing that we monitor social stats and regulate immigration according to a rate where we actually demonstrate we are assimilating them rather than at a rate at which we would like to be assimilating them.
                    Last edited by Heraclitus; July 24, 2011, 18:51.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• dp
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Not sure what the point is with all the retrospective criticism. It's Norway, they never expected something like this, were not prepared for it, and didn't know how to properly respond. A lot of it can be explained away with inexperience and shock.

What happened happened.
                        This is idiotic. Nothing ever happens somewhere until it does. Other police forces have learned from the mistakes at VT and Columbine, and have active shooter doctrines to prevent this type of tragedy from reaching this scale.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          It is not for us to learn from.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            This is idiotic. Nothing ever happens somewhere until it does. Other police forces have learned from the mistakes at VT and Columbine, and have active shooter doctrines to prevent this type of tragedy from reaching this scale.
                            No, what's idiotic is to assume the police forces themselves will not have any retrospective. They assuredly well, and they will certainly learn from it.

What's idiotic is wasting your time acting astonished Norway didn't have SWAT teams on standby for a remote isolated youth camp.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• If somebody goes and shoots up the boy scout camps up in the remote parts of Northern Alberta, you're looking at a lengthy response time as well.

Comment

• BTW I've been scouring Breivik's manifesto for references to religion:

“I’m not going to pretend I’m a very religious person as that would be a lie.”
                                His philosemitism appears to be secular. Also speaking against the Christian fundie hypotesis is that he appears to be pro-homosexual or at least normally (Scandinavian norm) tolerant of them. Also several sources say that a lots of the stuff there was plagiarised from Ted Kaczynski aka the Unabomber. I haven't had time to compare so I'm reserving judgement on that.
                                Last edited by Heraclitus; July 24, 2011, 19:16.
                                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                                X