No announcement yet.

Guild Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical areas are up to 8 people 'multiplayer'. Some are 16 people multiplay. Towns have hundreds, but they are mostly like a chatroom, not really 'playing'. However, unless you are in a guild, or doing PVP, chances are you will be doing most of it alone with heros and henchmen. You might find a couple folks at random, but getting a full party of 8 at random is rather rare.

All of it is free to play once you buy the game. con is just confusing people. There are no "free to play towns" IT'S ALL FREE. No monthly fee ever period.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
      So free, if I don't play multiplayer,

Screw that.

ACK!
      I really don't know why it's so hard for you to get.

The game has free multiplayer online gaming, in parties of 8 (with as others have said towns having more players in, but you can only chat to them and go about your business - buying weapons/armour etc).

Free means no payments. Multiplayer means more than one player. Online gaming means you don't need the people with you in your house, you can play over teh internet.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I really don't know why it's so hard for you to get.

The game has free multiplayer online gaming, in parties of 8 (with as others have said towns having more players in, but you can only chat to them and go about your business - buying weapons/armour etc).

Free means no payments. Multiplayer means more than one player. Online gaming means you don't need the people with you in your house, you can play over teh internet.
        Because, "parties of eight" really makes no sense whatsoever.

Why 8?

You could have just said , hmm, what's that word.......oh yes.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh, which one should I get?

ACK!

Comment

Because, "parties of eight" really makes no sense whatsoever.

Why 8?

You could have just said , hmm, what's that word.......oh yes.

ACK!
            I said yes not once but twice. And parties of 8 makes perfect sense.

I'm forced to conclude you are just a little slow.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I said yes not once but twice. And parties of 8 makes perfect sense.

I'm forced to conclude you are just a little slow.
              I'm forced to conclude you are a jackass.

Parties of 14 make perfect sense, too.

But, it doesn't change whether the game is free or not.

ACK!

Comment

I corrected my post

I was replying to the first question was if the game was "free" or not.

My answer was "Free to play"

Once you buy one of the chapters and all three chapters are stand alone, you no longer have to pay anything to play.

Towns are places to meet, buy and sell stuff, rearrange your skill bars, form groups.

In general in most locations the party maximum is 8, there are exceptions but not a lot, and not enough for discussion with someone who wants a quick explanation of the game.

The party of eight does not have to be all real people. You can also take NPC's with you either henchman or heros. Heros are like henchman you always have, and can customize, instead of the hecnhman which are basically what you see is what you get. So its emtirely possible to "solo" any of the chapters, and never play with another real live player. Henchman and heros can help you instead.

Once your party is formed you "instance" into a zone, and begin killing stuff. The zone is basically always the same, and when your "party" instances into that zone, your party is the only ones in the zone.

If you have ever played WOW or EQ (have you?) thats really the major difference. Those MMO's are persistent worlds, and once you get into that world you can be with other players and oter groups.
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Once you buy a chapter, the game is free to play.
                  *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Oh, which one should I get?

ACK!
                    Depends:

Prophecies: very lengthy campaign, the most traditional rpg progression, basic PVP

Factions: Short (and annoying) campaign, more classes, better PVP

Nightfall: Fairly long campaign, Heros, average PVP (ranked a bit above prophecies for including hero battles)

IMO: Prophecies is still the best of them all for someone new. However, it's age means you will be stuck in some areas trying to use henchmen alone if you don[t get in on a good guild. This could make it difficult.

Nightfall is my second favorite, but you WILL be going it alone with Heroes. Generally, they are much better than henchmen, but they also lend gameplay to parties of 2 or less and filling the rest with heroes.

I'ld get factions last. Even after EOTN. Unless you REALLY like the ideas of rits and assassins or PVP.

To answer the 'why 8' question, orignally, GW was meant to run on a dial up. So, that played into it. But, GW is about choices. They didn't want you to be able to fill up a party with 5 of every class. You need to pick and choose. It's quite an art getting a party of 8 that can survive any situation. (with a little foreknowledge, it's not hard at all to come up with a party of 8 to conquer a specific area)

There are a couple areas that let 2 parties of 8 in the same instance at a time, however.

And, if you do get one, I'ld offer the advice that monks and mesmers are not exactly newbie friendly as a primary profession.
                    Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; September 21, 2008, 01:55.
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I'm forced to conclude you are a jackass.

Parties of 14 make perfect sense, too.
                      It makes sense, but the game has parties of 8. So I told you that the game has parties of 8, not 14.

You're not related to FrostyBoy by any chance are you?

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Depends:

Prophecies: very lengthy campaign, the most traditional rpg progression, basic PVP

Factions: Short (and annoying) campaign, more classes, better PVP

Nightfall: Fairly long campaign, Heros, average PVP (ranked a bit above prophecies for including hero battles)

IMO: Prophecies is still the best of them all for someone new. However, it's age means you will be stuck in some areas trying to use henchmen alone if you don[t get in on a good guild. This could make it difficult.

Nightfall is my second favorite, but you WILL be going it alone with Heroes. Generally, they are much better than henchmen, but they also lend gameplay to parties of 2 or less and filling the rest with heroes.

I'ld get factions last. Even after EOTN. Unless you REALLY like the ideas of rits and assassins or PVP.
                        Prophecies was the best game for it's time, but if I was starting now I'd go for Nightfall. It's a great campaign and you get heroes. Then if you want to play Prophecies later you can.

Comment

This is scarry, because Im agreeing with Dr Spike

For starting out I would get Nightfall as well, so you can start developing Heros.

If you do get it, post here that you did, and what your first characters name is, and what time you usually play. I am sort of in the mood to play so I may join you

Comment

Is EOTN soloable with the heroes and mercs?

I've heard that it isn't - so I haven't bothered buying it (not that I play Guild Wars all that much ) even though it is very cheap now at $10.

I have both Prophecies and Nightfall - I couldn't get much into Prophecies - it is a bit slow at first and that's where I got stuck (plus I think you need a group to get out of the pre-Searing zone).

Nightfall is much better to start with but overall I've heard that Prophecies is more epic of a story (certainly longer), but the additions of heroes makes Nightfall a must purchase.

Comment

I soloed EotN, but my hero builds are flawlessly tuned so that might be a factor.

Comment

Anything is solo-able with Heros if you know what your doing.

Some things are obviously easier than others but its all do-able.

Sharpe!

Are you still in The Lords of Tortuga? If you are gonna play let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X