X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we ditch the meta-debate?

Comment

• Cue obscure post from an analyst about the virtue of meta-debate.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• There is definitely one thing the 360 has over the ps3 and wii and that is face plates.
        Attached Files
        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
          Can you provide an example of a time where I provided a link to some numbnuts Analyst who just seems to be repeating what a lot of people say?

I post links, but to facts -- not to meanderings by incompetent "analysts". LOTM incessantly posts "analysts" without apparently realizing most of them live in their parents basements, and those that don't still don't know much. It's akin to quoting some random poster at IGN or GAF. It does nothing for the thread.
          I think it does - you are a forceful poster even when not being overly aggressive, and people who don't know much about the subject matter could easily reach the conclusion that all of your opinions are indisputable fact. It does the thread good to show that some of your views are disputed, by people here and elsewhere. You should be able to rebut such points without resorting to being a bully.

And congrats on 10k.

Comment

• Originally posted by flash9286
            There is definitely one thing the 360 has over the ps3 and wii and that is face plates.
            That alone is enough to make me regret getting the Halo 3 360 - it would look so much better on the white or black one

Comment

• The problem is they already have been rebutted. Do you not see the problem with trying to rehash the same argument for weeks after weeks after weeks? It's already been discussed TO DEATH. The discussion has finally died down because it was a boring, one-sided debate and LOTM seems intent on kickstarting it with a bull**** "analyst" comment, which as I said, means nothing. We all know people disagree with me, there was many lengthy debates on it, but posting more comments after the debate has died out saying "I agree with ______", in so many words, serves no point but to spam.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

That alone is enough to make me regret getting the Halo 3 360 - it would look so much better on the white or black one
                The funny thing is that faceplate costs more than a 360. $300 is what the guy is asking for.
                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

• Apparently you can't actually buy that faceplate

edit: I don't count it as "for sale" with a price tag of $300

Comment

The problem is they already have been rebutted.
                    The strawman position, that no one is holding has been rebutted - IE that Wii, even in January or Feb of 2007 couldnt have increased production sufficiently to eliminated shortages in 4th q of 2007. The thing is most people dont understand "Nintendo is holding back supply" to mean that. They think it means Nintendo made decisions over the summer to hold back supply, which is why the five month figure, etc, is relevant.

Of course Nintendo COULD have increased production much higher, starting in Jan 2007, and did not. Cause the Wii had only been out a couple of months, its performance really was a surprise, and no one knew it wouldnt be a fluke. You can spin that into "Nintendo held back supply" if you wish - the article I posted wasnt about that spin, it was about the ongoing issue, it included both Nintendo spin and an independent POV.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      The strawman position, that no one is holding has been rebutted - IE that Wii, even in January or Feb of 2007 couldnt have increased production sufficiently to eliminated shortages in 4th q of 2007.
                      Even your OWN analyst says "5 months". What's 5 months from Jan or Feb 07?

The thing is most people dont understand "Nintendo is holding back supply" to mean that. They think it means Nintendo made decisions over the summer to hold back supply, which is why the five month figure, etc, is relevant.
                      Where the hell do you get "the summer"? I've been saying WELL before that Nintendo is keeping demand well above supply intentionally. But NOT INCREASING supply, this is EXACTLY what they are doing.

Even if we take the absurd "five months" lead time from June, they'd meet the Christmas rush. But as I've said, historically MS has proven it takes 2-3 months at most, not 5 months, to dramatically ramp up production.

Of course Nintendo COULD have increased production much higher, starting in Jan 2007, and did not.
                      They could have May 06. They could have November 06. They could have Jan 07. They could have Feb 07. They could have Mar 07. They could have Apr 07. They could have May 07. They could have June 07. They could have July 07. They could have August 07. They could have September 07. They could have October 07. They could have November 07. They could have December 07. THEY HAVE NOT.

All of this PR stupidity is insanely transparant "Oh, good golly, I can't believe people WANT to purchase our product! IF ONLY WE HAD KNOWN! Oh, oh well we'll wait out this demand spike for 16 months!"

The stupidity here is killing me. This still boils down to the EXACT same argument we've had for months! Why hasn't Nintendo ramped up production? The two choices, which you STILL ignore are:
                      1) They don't have faith in their product
                      2) They intentionally keep supply substantially lower than demand for the free hype/advertising it provides (note that they aren't even advertising Wii in some markets now -- saving them money!). They got FREE advertising over all of the press coverage of them saying they aren't going to advertise.

It's so, so, so obviously a strategic move on their part.

Comment

• I still think that they don't wanwt to retool more factories because they are going to announce a new consol next year.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

All of this PR stupidity is insanely transparant "Oh, good golly, I can't believe people WANT to purchase our product in these numbers. We were third place last generation, we expected to be last place again. We expected to expand the market a bit beyond our loyalists, but not much. The sales on launch took us by surprise, as have the continued high sales.

Fixed. Makes perfect sense to me.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• theyve also cut back on advertising, another part of Nintendos evil strategy to get better PR:

Comment

theyve also cut back on advertising, another part of Nintendos evil strategy to get better PR:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12...pulls_wii_ads/
                              I already discussed this. As you've now demonstrated, Nintendo gets free advertising from the media due to the "shortages". They create a paniced marketplace, make sure the press knows (like they did here), then sit back and watch. In this case they even got to remind people who wanted Wiis that they can still buy the DS!

It's a rather evil strategy, but it's working. Some people still haven't caught on, which is really disappointing.

Comment

Fixed. Makes perfect sense to me.
                                It would because you haven't followed the market at all.

We expected to expand the market a bit beyond our loyalists, but not much.

It's very clear from Nintendo's E3 showing prior to launch they expected BIG things from the Wii. They emphasized on how it's open to EVERYONE now, which to me implies they recognized a far larger audience. Duh? That was May 06, BTW. After it created a panic when it first went on sale, that was Nov 06. After it continued to sell strongly through the typical Jan-Feb lull, they still didn't up production.

You can continue making all the excuses you want (and you are), but they had TONS of opportunities to increase production and they never did. You ignore the fact that even if they do make excess units every once in a while, these aren't writeoffs -- they are STILL sold, just not right away. There's a small cost added for warehousing but it's trivially small given the potential benefit of vastly improving monthly sales -- unless, of course, it's part of your strategy to sell a lot, but still under demand for the free publicity and paniced marketplace strategy...

Comment

Working...
                                X