This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console Wars - the revenge

Wii breaks records - including in the US.

Old Post 11-27-07 02:36 pm Click Here to See the Profile for DrSpike Click here to Send DrSpike a Private Message Find more posts by DrSpike Add DrSpike to your buddy list
    Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
    #500 Report this post to a moderator

quote:
    Originally posted by Asher
    You know the markets are "special" when given a choice between two products, they make a different choice than I would.

Corrected.

That's incorrect, as the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed and COD4 are provably inferior.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Glad to hear it.

What did you think of the Wii sales?

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        Glad to hear it.

What did you think of the Wii sales?
        I don't see any sales to comment on?

Or are you referring to the fact that Nintendo decided to ship 350,000 Wiis in a single specific week to generate PR that some people aren't bright enough to recognize as just that?

I fully expect Wiis to sell out throughout the holiday season this year. That doesn't impress me at all, because people still aren't buying games for it. Buying the cheapest console because it's trendy isn't impressive. It's even less impressive because Nintendo is very clearly controlling stock of their console such to "strategically release" them to maximize PR.

It's good for Nintendo's shareholders -- but longterm success is measured in terms of software sales, and Nintendo's got to be worried about that. It's not about selling your content delivery platform if the content isn't purchased.

Edit: I do like how they broke the record set by the Gameboy Advance just a few short years ago. How is the GBA selling today, out of curiosity?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

But in the black-and-white and green world of Wall Street, it all comes down to numbers, and the Xbox numbers from the week including Black Friday are pretty stellar. Microsoft tells me the company sold 310,000 Xbox 360 units last week; beating, it says, PlayStation 3 sales by better than two to one. Not a bad week for a company that sold 366,000 units through the entire MONTH of October.

Microsoft's numbers are still 40,000 units shy of Nintendo's
          Nintendo Co for the "Black Friday" week, but this is a pretty compelling data point to show blog complaints about console failures are apparently not taking a toll at the cash register.

Another datapoint: Microsoft says Xbox 360 software sales, the game titles connected to the game, are on track to outsell PS3 and Nintendo Wii software sales, combined. For the month of October, Xbox 360 software represented 54 percent of total software sales, accounting for $162 million. That compares to 30 percent for Wii and 16 percent for PS3, according to NPD Group.
          Just to put things in perspective.
          Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

What do you think of the firing of Jeff Gerstmann?

Nintendo fans got to spludge everywhere.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

He was fired? How do you know?

Comment

It's all over the news.
                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I heard a stupid rumour that doesn't make any sense at all (that he was fired for giving Kane & Lynch a bad review, like everyone else).

Comment

But Penny Arcade made a comic about it and that is like the nytimes of videogames

Comment

The whole thing rubs me the wrong way. They don't fire the EiC for giving a bad review to a bad game, regardless of sponsorship.

Comment

Penny Arcade confirmed today that their comic is accurate and not a joke.

Comment

Whether or not this fat bastard was fired, how can you avoid looking at the larger issue here. These "impartial review sites" have ads for the games they review taking up the background and side and top banners of their site. They link to sites that sell the games and have partnerships with Direct2Drive and Amazon. They receive free stuff from the publishers of the games.

Game reviewing frankly sucks, if not because of all that, then because of how absurdly high the scores are for the most derivative games.

Jeff Gerstmann should finish his last taco in hell

Comment

Asher, are you one of those people that seriously believes Nintendo is constraining supply? As Nintendo themselves have pointed out, all that does is hurt them at this point. There is no secret warehouse full of Wiis waiting to be unleashed on the world; if they can sell every unit they make (which they obviously can) they'd get as many as humanly possible out on the shelves.
                            I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

The thread title miss the icon... It's a console war...not a console slumber party!

(thanks for Wiglaf for the Inspiration)

bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X