Do you Wii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many consoles you have if no one's buying any games.
    Not true. Devs take hardware into account when they decide whether to make and market a game for a console. If Wii at some point has as many consoles out there as the 360, why wouldn't people want to offer those users something to buy? Particularly if there is less out there to buy - thus less competition for the money. Admittedly probably less money per console, but still.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
      Not true. Devs take hardware into account when they decide whether to make and market a game for a console.
      Historically, they did this because more hardware units sold meant more games sold.

This is not the case with the Wii and its new-found "casual gaming' audience. Publishers will look at overall game sales on the console -- would you rather publish your game on a console with 10 million units sold with 5 million games sold per year, or on a console with 7 million units and 10 million games sold per year?

Particularly if there is less out there to buy - thus less competition for the money. Admittedly probably less money per console, but still.
      there's no real shortage of Wii games -- they're just all crap.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I think developers will have to react to the very favourable Wii sales. I think the main uncertainty is how will they react - with more (sorry but I agree with Asher on this) crappy games or by upping the quality and trying to sell more copies.

It's just too early for anyone to tell, regardless of the strong opinions of some. Either way there is clearly a solid base to work with.

And let's not forget comparing mouth watering games like Gears and Forza2 to Paper Mario just isn't fair. The X-Box 360 has not been blessed with many top tier games until now, some 18 months after release.

Comment

• So numbers are out for N.

5.84m Wii sold through March worldwide
          29m Wii games worldwide

The resource for people who make and sell games.

hmm. I have no ideas if the software are sell to consumer #s or to stores...

Comment

• Nintendo cannot track sold to consumers. They sell to retailers.

Nintendo's numbers also include Wii Sports for every console sold, probably. The attach rate for their reported numbers is 1 higher per console than NPD's, so go figure...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• After further reading, I see that.

And I suppose MS and Sony are in the same boat there.

Comment

• In the same boat as in reporting shipped numbers? Yup.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
                  At the end of the day it doesn't matter how many consoles you have if no one's buying any games.
                  At $50-70 gross per unit, it sure does.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Isn't it awesome how right I am all the time?

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata noted that the Wii’s Virtual Console sales have been slowing down.

As of January 24, over 1.5 million games had been downloaded from the Virtual Console. Given the low cost for Nintendo inherent in the Virtual Console system, this was a remarkable show for a collection of age-old games that would have otherwise been mere memories. From February until now, though, sales were in the 1.8 million range; a strange occurrence given that the console's user base has grown substantially since early January. Iwata's comments suggest that in the first two months Nintendo was selling 750,000 titles each month, but that has dipped to 600,000/month since February. Those aren't bad sales numbers, but with many more Wiis in use today than in December, the downturn is surprising.

Not to mention awful software sales across the board:
                    the games arne't selling. Oh sure, if you look at VGcharts, 3rd party games have mostly bombed. Godfather tanked, Sonic was ignored in Japan but did OK in the US, Elebits was a colossal failure, and so on. This is what a lot of people expected, but the real news is 1st-party software. In Japan, Twilight Princess is the worst-selling Zelda of all time, selling under a half-million units on the Wii (Windwaker sold 2.6m). Warioware sold less than 1/3 the Gamecube version, which was merely a port of the GBA game. Fire Emblem bombed as well. The new Pokemon battle game sold around a quarter million units...down from 2 million on the Gamecube. Almost the same thing has happened in the USA, with the exception that Twilight Princess outsold Wind Waker (GC and Wii combined) and did fairly well in Europe, too. But almost nothing is hitting the top ten charts in any country, except...

Wii Sports and Wii Play. That's about it.

This is not just a case of "Nintendo gamers don't buy 3rd-party games," because they're not lining up to buy Nintendo games, either. My theory: the problem with all these non-gamers is, well, they're not really interested in video games in general. They're interested in Wii Sports. Wii Play is artificially high because of the controller. I think that "hardcore" gamers aren't picking up the Wii as fast, and when they do, they might mess around with a few games, but their money is more likely to go to the Virtual Console and whatever platforms they own (PS2 or 360) because the big-production games are there...or released there first, often without broken controls.

Comment

• N Japan 2007 release lineup. Who knows what will come to NA/Europe and when, and probably some will get delayed, but...damn...all the heavies except for Mario Kart:

* Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race (DK Jet or DK Bongo Blast, US) - June 28, 2007
                      * Wii Health Pack -- 2007
                      * Disaster: Day of Crisis - 2007
                      * Mario Party 8 - 2007
                      * Project H.A.M.M.E.R. - 2007
                      * Wii Music - 2007
                      * Super Mario Galaxy - 2007
                      * Super Smash Bros. Brawl - 2007
                      * Battalion Wars II - 2007
                      * Forever Blue - 2007
                      * Mario Strikers Charged - 2007
                      * Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 2007
                      * Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - 2007

Comment

• How much do you want to bet that half of those "slip" into 2008?

Comment

• well, I did say that I think some will get pushed back, either due to translation issues or what have you.

Comment

• * Wii Health Pack -- 2007

WTF is this?

Comment

• Apparently it's a "heavy"

Comment

• Wow, that would be a good lineup. Let's hope it stays that way; Corruption has already slipped quite a ways from launch.

Kuciwalker: Wii Health pack is some sort of exercise thing using the Wiimote. Don't know specifics.

Comment

Working...
                                X