Civ IV? Other Games Gamers opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV? Other Games Gamers opinions

I skipped Civ 3 altogether after having read some very disappointing posts in Apolyton Civ 2 fora... Mostly from people who loved Civ 2 and whom I "knew" well enough to trust...

The Civ 2 fora are (almost) dead now and I don't know many people in the Civ 4 fora, so I would really appreciate if the moderator leaves this thread in this forum... Please, rah?

So has anyone here played Civ 4 yet? What do you think of it?

Edit: In case the thread is moved, perhaps some friendly soul could post some links to similar threads elsewhere? Thanks! Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea in either case...

Carolus
    Last edited by Carolus Rex; November 7, 2005, 16:06.

Hmmmm, If we limit it to this one thread, and we don't go crazy, I'll give this a chance here for the other games gamers to provide their possibly unique insights into civ IV, but if i get to much complaining, i'll close it.

My opinion is not good because i'm still struggling with video card problems. I see about half the terrain, and funny embassador pictures.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm playing it and having fun. At the moment I'm playing on warlord and testing different strategies, but tis fun.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I don't have the game yet. When I went to buy it, the store had just been sold out

I intend to buy it on wednesday, but I won't have the opportunity to play it before next week.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Hmmmm, If we limit it to this one thread, and we don't go crazy, I'll give this a chance here for the other games gamers to provide their possibly unique insights into civ IV, but if i get to much complaining, i'll close it.
          Ok, thanks!

SB,

Do you have any use of the old Civ 2 strats? (I guess that's how I will start playing the game; trying a Civ 2 approach)

Carolus

Comment

Apparently ICS is completely out, and I wouldn't expect camels to be available.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york

Apparently ICS is completely out, and I wouldn't expect camels to be available.
              Well, I will not shed any tears over the passing away of ICS! The mighty camel, however... What will happen with "When in doubt, build a camel!"? Perhaps DaveV has a thought or two to share on that...

Carolus

Comment

The new camels are cottages.

I got it midday Friday and played incessantly from then until about 1am early Monday morning.

My initial impressions are that it's definitely worth playing, and the fact there was some beta testing this time means that the game is pretty well polished gameplay wise, though many with older systems (and some with newer) are reporting Rah's type of problems.

It's early days but I think in depth it's going to beat Civ3, and maybe even be in the ballpark of Civ2/SMAC. The MP also looks fun, and also works out of the box this time.

Comment

I'm liking it so far, but have little time to play.

It has a different flavor, but is civ still in its roots. There seems to be lots more options and not as much micromanagement. But I as well as just about everyone else is still checking out the possible strats and learning the ins and outs of the new stuff.

While I'm at work, I seem to be enjoying Vel's strat thread in the Civ4 forums and I do not understand your comments about not knowing anybody.

I've already seen quite a few Civ3 regulars posting their thoughts about 4.
                  We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Im waiting before picking up Civ4. Have a new computor (3 months old) and still would need to invest in a video card.
                    From what im reading I could play the game now but problems would start around mid point as play gets busy.Bottom line for me is honest reporting on what is needed in upgrades to play this game without a single problem.
                    For now I have picked up Ages of Man a add on to Call to Power 2 which has a many new features with powerhouse AI.

Comment

IMO, Civ 4 is the best Civ game ever made...

it keeps me up until 4 in the morning every night

only time will tell whether or not this game will have the longevity of Civ2/ToT as I played that up until last year...

maybe this is just a sort of "hype" period and it will wear off... I dunno...

but I am having so much fun... I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'll echo Sava. Civ4 is the best one yet. Religions, redone resources & borders, new diplomacy and AI, culture, the ability to play as a builder. Just wonderful stuff.

I hesitate to play the game during the workweek because I know it'll be 2 o'clock and I'll be dead tired at work the next morning!!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I'll echo Sava. Civ4 is the best one yet. Religions, redone resources & borders, new diplomacy and AI, the ability to play as a builder. Just wonderful stuff.

I hesitate to play the game during the workweek because I know it'll be 2 o'clock and I'll be dead tired at work the next morning!!
                          I just don't get a lot of sleep
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                            While I'm at work, I seem to be enjoying Vel's strat thread in the Civ4 forums and I do not understand your comments about not knowing anybody.

I've already seen quite a few Civ3 regulars posting their thoughts about 4.
                            If I undestand Carolus correctly he is saying that he doesn't know many of the Civ3 regulars (not having much experience playing the game) and is hoping that the Civ2 regulars (of which I consider myself one) will answer his question. If he posts in Civ2 there is a pretty small community left there and his is less like to get an answer to his question.

I can't answer however, I don't think my computer couldn't run Civ3 (not that I ever tried it) and I wouldn't dream of making it try to run Civ 4 (the metaphor of asking my Grandmother to run a marathon comes to mind........it ain't gonna happen ).

Seems a bit much to me to upgrade my computer to play Civ2 and short of doing that I won't be trying the game out. Besides, ogame (www.ogame.org) takes up most of my gaming time today

/me
                            "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

muhuhahahahah

I just wake up at like noon and then start playing again!

being a bum

Civ4

when Sava and Imran agree, you know we must be right
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X