Civ as MMORPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumbold

None of them have been runaway smash hits, but the Paradox games are very educational. EU1 and 2 especially are brimming with historical events that fascinated me.

The problem with 'Edutainment' seems to be that anybody that starts by trying to turn education into a game format fails miserably. The ones that succeed are really fun games that manage to add a layer of information on top without ruining the playability.
    I liked the 'Ceasar' games for the same reason - fun games with a smattering of real world history thrown in. And of course Civ is the ultimate example(for me) of such a succesfull combination of a fun game and education.

@vovan - dont you find that civ is kinda an rpg as it is? In that you take on a character for your civ - you play a good guy/bad guy and you civ's 'stats' improve over time as you invest in war/infastructure etc?

The main problem you'd have if you wanted to do a traditional rpg slant on a civ game is the time period a civ game covers. So how best to represent your character and the thousands of passing years? Would you have children(like in Medieval Total War)? Its a difficult one to do well and maintain the overall game cohesion.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

I liked the 'Ceasar' games for the same reason - fun games with a smattering of real world history thrown in. And of course Civ is the ultimate example(for me) of such a succesfull combination of a fun game and education.
      CoT - ever read my column on Civ and history?

Sometimes, like with Civ, some of the cooler aspects of the history are hidden. As if the developers were afraid it would turn people off. In addition to the Civ stuff i discuss in my column, theres the food situation in Age of Empires (1). As long as there are berry bushes and gazelles its more efficient NOT to farm - which ACCURATELY represents the anthropoligical consensus that hunter gathering was more efficient than agriculture - but as your pop grows, and resources decline, youre pushed to farm - again reflecting the understanding that agriculture both enabled and was required by pop densities growing beyond natural resources. and this happened in - yes - the late neolithic, what AOE calls the "tool age".

Yet AOE is just a silly RTS. Cause its time, number and space scale issues DO make it just an RTS, and not a sim. Yet within that silly RTS are some REAL historical lessons.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
        @vovan - dont you find that civ is kinda an rpg as it is? In that you take on a character for your civ - you play a good guy/bad guy and you civ's 'stats' improve over time as you invest in war/infastructure etc?
        Hmmm... You could put it that way I suppose. After all, reloplaying is more how the player plays the game than how the game is structured.

Though I still fail to see how one could make that into a "classic" RPG, where you manipulate the one guy and do stuff. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
        XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark edit......

CoT - ever read my column on Civ and history?
          No, where is it? i'll go have a look

@Vovan, well one way is the old 'populas'/'megalomania' way - your char is god like, which has its own drawback on a historical/educational type game.............

I sort of get the feeling this civ MMORPG will be more like starcraft than actual civ as we know it - but as you say we'll have to see as time progresses and we hear more info
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Yet within that silly RTS are some REAL historical lessons.
            Same with Civ, particularly in the scenarios, where you get a much better sense of the geography, and how all the nations relate to each other.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

My column:

http://apolyton.net/misc/column/183_hegel.shtml
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't like to bash new ideas, they drive innovation, but a Civ RPG?

It's definitely not a Civ RPG in the making. The only similarity between that game and Civ is the word Civilization in the title

Remember, Civilization is a common word of the English language, and can't be trademarked alone... The trademark we know and love is Sid Meier's Civilization... As such, anybody who wants to attract the Civ player can put the word Civilization somewhere in the title; this has been done in this particular occurence.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

just in case someone doesn't know a catass is a guy whose house smelled like cat ass because he wouldn't get off EQ long enough to clean the litter box.
                  Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    I don't like to bash new ideas, they drive innovation, but a Civ RPG?

It's definitely not a Civ RPG in the making. The only similarity between that game and Civ is the word Civilization in the title

Remember, Civilization is a common word of the English language, and can't be trademarked alone... The trademark we know and love is Sid Meier's Civilization... As such, anybody who wants to attract the Civ player can put the word Civilization somewhere in the title; this has been done in this particular occurence.
                    It'll probably be as good as the other games that have tried this

Comment

Working...
                    X