No announcement yet.

Society II Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna be out for the weekend, so no hurry to get orders in. Not like there normally was either...
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• Smiley,

I have some suggested changes to the game, but I need time to think them through. I am fairly certain that:

1. Number of caravans should be limited to tech/2 which limits the max trading to 1325.
      2. Armies should cost at tech level, since they are effective at that, and investment of them at lower levels costs you something else anyway.
      3. Trade income should be granted next turn, but costs this turn, representing the investment.
      4. The attack formula is really broken. I would like to propose the simpler (attacker army count/ defender tech)-(defender army count/ attacker tech)=== positive then all territories bounding both empires of the defender are lost. I'm not sure how to handle the losses or the army units.
      5. The acropolis should allow you to change govs without penalty, but only give you the tech of monarchy.
      6. There need to be some handle on the nukes thing, else this turns into a complicated version of nuke war.

Lastly, please, I conceed, will someone please put me out of my pain this round?

All my stuff goes to LL again.

I should have more suggestions as we proceed.
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy

5. The acropolis should allow you to change govs without penalty, but only give you the tech of monarchy.
        I disagree for historical reasons.

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy

6. There need to be some handle on the nukes thing, else this turns into a complicated version of nuke war.
        Nukes should be more expensive.

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy

All my stuff goes to LL again.
        Thanks again

Though somehow I don't think it's going to help me much

Comment

• Okay some more ideas concerning govs.

1. You can neither sneak attack or nuke from a republic. You can only declare war. You can retaliate from this form of gov when someone attacks you. If you are at war from more than 3 turns you automatically drop to a monarchy (without the 1 turn no rev penalty).
          2. You cannot nuke from a monarchy. You can declare war or sneak attack. Again you can retaliate. If you are at war from more than three turns you drop down to despotism (without the 1 turn no rev penalty).
          3. You can do anything from the despotism, however, I propose that tax revenues are halved from normal when your empire gets greater than (7?) cities.

If these are adopted, I see no reason why the acropolis would need to change since republic would be a peaceful means of victory.

Spies:

1. Not automatic, you need to build them. Cost is 10(or 5?)*tech level representing the production of two (or one?) cities.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• 3. You can do anything from the despotism, however, I propose that tax revenues are halved from normal when your empire gets greater than (7?) cities.
            Halve it when you get to tech level 10. To demonstrate how more advanced civs have a hard time maintaining order when they become more techonologically advanced.

And spies should have to be built as well
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Excellent suggestions Spaced

Comment

• to limits on nuking based on governments.
                to more expensive nukes and more expensive armies
                to more expensive technology
                to limiting trade to tech level
                to getting trade income later, as this takes away the incentive to trade, since building new cities would yield a better return. Trade has a built in "penalty" by making one's neighbor more powerful.
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

• These changes don't come into power now, however, do they?
                  XBox Live: VovanSim
                  xbox.com (login required)
                  Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                  Spore page

Comment

• I'm thinking that these changes will apply to next game.

Comment

• Next game. This one's most likely only got a few more turns to go, so send in your orders!

Comment

• Aye-aye, Sir. Orders sent, though I don't expect they'll have much effect on my fate...
                        Last edited by vovan; June 27, 2004, 23:18.
                        Spore page

Comment

• I don't see any need for future orders.

Gameis is a clear winner.

What do you think vovan?

Comment

• Well, seriously, there are two ways for them to go (EDIT: Or should I say - for you to go ), I think - either race for the spaceship, or battle it out. Racing for the spaceship would be a surefire victory, and it seems it would be so for Gameis, simply because he has more money.

However, since LL knows that in a space-race Gameis would win, then he would dedicate all his resources to military production. But then, if Gameis knows LL will strike him hard, then he would have to divert resources from space race, and channel them to defence, or maybe even offence. You never know.

Though I agree, this will be over soon, and chances are neither ol' Spaced, nor me are going to be winner.

EDIT: Though, LL, if you think Gameis is the clear winner, and would be willing to... you know, give everything to me, then I wouldn't mind that.
                            Spore page

Comment

• vovan,

LJ is saying that since I have resigned, if you do as well, then he will as well and this will be over with Gameis as the winner. Then we can start again with the new rules.

Comment

• Okay, I will probably resign after Smiley processes this turn. I just wanna see what happens. I probably won't survive through the turn any way, so...
                                Spore page

Comment

Working...
                                X