Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladiator IV - The fights proceed!

Semi-final 2b, round 1

While the bodies of the dead are reverently removed from the arena, a voice echoes down from the commentary box:

"Ah, excuse me, but we have a rather embarrasing announcement to make. As you may recall, we had a little... er... trouble locating the gladiators for their semi-final matches, and we had to send out search parties to locate them in the city.

"Now, the gladiators are famous celebreties hereabouts, and there's quite a lot of money to be made in impersonations. It seems that those we sent to look for them made a small, but understandable, error, and recruited lookalikes instead of the real gladiators.

"Of course, they assumed we just wanted them for some harmless entertainment, and when we gave them arms and armour and threw them into the arena, you might recall that they didn't really attack each other seriously to begin with, but just play-acted fighting. One of them even tried to leave, but arena personell had been instructed not to allow them to.

"With the crowd screaming for blood, it seems they decided that this was their chance for fame... perhaps even a chance to enter the gladitorial mainstream. Though it is perhaps a little late for them now, I'm sure we can all agree that they fought like the best, and deserve all the fame they can get."

:applause:

"But now, we are fairly sure we really have found the authentic gladiators, and so we present to you: Our semi-finalists!"

Jamski-San, Theben, the Doctor and Chaunk walk into the arena, Chaunk staring down at 'his' corpse as it passes on the way out, muttering to the Doctor beside him "Egad! He used that equipment! I remember I had that made as a joke when I was drunk late one night... I don't have any idea what I was thinking of about those gloves..."

"And while Chaunk tries to locate his equipment, which appears to have been stolen by the boy who was sent to get the 'special' equipment, we will begin with the combat between Theben and the Doctor."

The two gladiators so named check over their equipment one last time and step out towards the centre of the arena to the cheers of the crowd. They are slightly the worse for wear after a long night's heavy drinking, so they might not have quite the stamina expected of them, but they are certainly serious and ready to trade blows.

As one, and without warning, the two contestants spin suddenly in an attack, hoping to surprise their opponent. Both succeed, and though Theben makes a small effort towards defence, but the Doctor makes none, and neither manage to avoid their opponents blows. The Doctor's rapier is skillfully guided and slides through Theben's armour and skin beneath his ribs, piercing his kidney, while Theben's blow is rather less powerful, and distracted by the sudden pain, but he still manages to shave a sizable area of skin from the Doctor's arm.

The Doctor's weapon is showing its weakness again, and appears to be stuck, allowing Theben, though the pain dizzies him, to swing back down and deepen the wound he just made a little into the muscle of the Doctor's arm, before leaping backwards skillfully, removing the Doctor's blade from his organs without it causing additional damage.

The Doctor, incensed, dives forward with a powerful lunge towards Theben's head and neck, but Theben is able to deflect it upwards with his shield and reach under the Doctor's guard to nick his stomach.

Theben took 29 damage, leaving him with 71HP, while the Doctor took 36 damage, leaving him with 64HP.
    Send away for round 2.

A somewhat more action-filled beginning to this combat. The Doctor tries harder than Theben, but acheves rather less.

Past threads:

Gladiator -poly- 2 "The Competition"
    Gladiator -poly- 2 "The Competition" Part Deux
    Gladiator III - Sign Up
    Gladiator III - Let the Battle Commence!
    Gladiator III - Let the Battles Continue!
    Gladiator IV Signup
    Gladiator IV - The fights begin!
    Last edited by J Bytheway; May 24, 2004, 04:11.

Bloody coward.

Comment

Nice trick. Jamski-San lives yet!

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

You're a bit more bloody than me.

And let me be the 1st to say that I'm disappointed in the manner of our 'resurrection'. It's like we didn't accomplish anything ourselves. Okay, I know I'm overreacting, it being a silly forum game and all, but still...
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I enjoyed that method of resurection... unexpected, and it works

Now I just want my semi final to restart... Jamski, get your orders in!
          Play hangman.

Comment

Odd that. Just posted here but it didn't bump the thread... strange database errors instead... :???:
            Play hangman.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
              And let me be the 1st to say that I'm disappointed in the manner of our 'resurrection'. It's like we didn't accomplish anything ourselves. Okay, I know I'm overreacting, it being a silly forum game and all, but still...
              Hey, you all set it up so perfectly by being slow to start the semis and then playing 2 rounds without damage. I couldn't resist .

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                It's like we didn't accomplish anything ourselves.
                There is a sense in which you didn't accomplish anything yourselves. After all, your were all basically back where you started (minus a few HP...) .

Comment

Sent anyway.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Sorry, though we were waiting for something. Orders sent

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Semi-final 1b, round 1

Chaunk fidgets and looks very impatient as he waits for his equipment to be sought out. In contrast, Jamski-San sits calmly, as still as a rock garden.

At last Chaunk leaps up, declaring "I'm dreadfully sorry, old chap, but I just can't wait any longer. These are the only weapon and shield I need." He walks across to the edge of the arena and, grasping the woodwork from which the seating is constructed, heaves powerfully and tears two strong oak beams from the structure, one sporting a cruel rusty nail. He tosses the beams in his hands, testing their balance, and smiles in grim satisfaction.

Chaunk walks across to Jamski, "Excuse me? Are you ready to begin?" Jamski nods slowly at him - perhaps in agreement, or perhaps simply bowing. Chaunk takes it as the former, and swings powerfully with his beam-mounted nail, which crunches deeply into Jamski's arm, penetrating bone, before Jamski even makes a move.

Jamski seems unfazed, and he twists his shield around to push the nail from him arm whilst simultaneously drawing his sword from its scabbard, the action smooth and beautiful in the way only katanas can allow. The motion continues as the blade twists around swiftly beneath Chaunk's guard and slices him deeply across the belly, threatening to disembowel him. At the same time Chaunk grasps the beam in his other hand, and with little finesse but considerable power, punches it at Jamski's chest, the force transmitted through his flexible armour enough to shatter ribs and puncture one lung.

Trying not to breathe and increase his pain, Jamski turns his sword and swings it back towards Chaunk, aiming for his neck. Chaunk ducks and spins. With the unadorned beam in his left hand he deflects the sword upward whilst twisting the beam in his other hand, allowing him, upon completing his rotation, to completely bypass Jamski's guard and send the nail through Jamski's ear deeply into his skull. The deflection was not, however, enough to completely escape Jamski's swing, which skims across the top of his skull, removing his scalp.

Spoiler:
                      Jamski and Chaunk, thrown in opposite directions by the force of their opponents blows, both fall - Jamski collapsing on the bench from which he never rose, and Chaunk thudding into the sand of the arena. After a brief spurt of blood from his punctured arm, Jamski lies still, but Chaunk rolls over with a groan, remaining conscious long enough to raise a triumphant fist and receive the cheers of the crowd before falling back and being rushed off for medical attention by arena staff.

Jamski is dead, while Chaunk takes a brutal 58 damage but survives with a mere 2HP remaining.
                      Congratulations Chaunk - our first finalist.

That was (unsurprisingly) over rather quickly. I have no idea what Jamski was doing giving orders that would leave his opponent with just 2HP! I'd like to take this opportunity to praise Chaunk for his insightful orders throughout this semi-final. He pulled victory from what I, at least, thought was certain defeat. Well done ;).

Last edited by J Bytheway; May 23, 2004, 16:37.

Comment

Superb description!

And a pleasant result too
                        Play hangman.

Comment

Arrrrrgh!

/me - San dies *

(I screwed up - I forgot about Chaunk's armour)

Good luck for the final to my worthy opponent - the most worthy to ever face the legend that was Jamski-San.

-Jam

Comment

And... Doctor, Doctor! Don't think I don't see you posting in the mafia thread - I hope to see some orders when I get up in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                              (I screwed up - I forgot about Chaunk's armour)
                              Cruel though it is to relish another's mistake, I'm glad I don't have to ressurect you both again . Thanks for your prompt contributions, and for being so easy to write about. Remember to join in again next time, so that the legend of Jamski-San may continue to echo through the ages .

Comment

Working...
                              X