This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stan,

I couldnt find a decent Biplane, I'll keep digging though. sorry for the lag.

Also I drafted some SLIc for the spycreating barbarians once entrenched. I'm not that familiar with SLIC so I'm hoping you can proof and correct it.

Code:
    HandleEvent(EntrenchOrder(army_t)) 'SpyBarbarianSpawn' post {

int_f	SpawnGuerrillas(location_t	theLoc, int_t	SpyPlayer)
    {
    int_t theSpy;
    int_t theGuerrilla;
    location_t	SpyLoc;
    location_t	UnitLoc;
    	unitLoc = tmpUnit.location;
    	SpyLoc = theLoc;
    	theSpy = UnitDB(UNIT_SPY);
    	theGuerrilla = UnitDB(UNIT_GUERRILLA);
    	player[0] = SpyPlayer;
    	if ((unit[0].type == UnitDB(UNIT_SPY))
    		if(PlayerGold(player[0])>300) {     //Maybe this line can be removed
    			if (HasAdvance(player[0], ID_ADVANCE_COMMUNISM)) {
    				if(CellOwner(SpyLoc) < 0 || CellOwner(SpyLoc) != player[0].owner){
    					SpawnRebels4 (6, tmpLoc, i, 1);
    				}
    			}
    		}
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Re the Biplane, I could only find one crappy one at civ fanatics with no animations. Much appreciated if you can come up with some thing.

Re slic, best to email me and explain in full what you want to do and include your code.

CellOwner(SpyLoc) < 0

will cause a major problem as cell owner starts at 0 for barbarians and goes up.

CellOwner(SpyLoc) != player[0].owner

There is no player[0].owner as far as I know.

Comment

Stan,

the code is supposed to allow for spies, when in territory that does not belong to you, to create a barbarian spawn in the other players territory, simulating a guerrilla uprising. I think I should make it be disband though, I may try it myself if I get time this weekend.

player[0].owner and most of the code I took from from your WatchTower Slic.

I thought I had a biplane from civfanatics that was decent but I think its the same crappy one you saw, I'll keep digging or I'll make one.

Comment

Stan,

Will AoMIII feature the ability to gift units to other civilizations like in Civ4?

I think the Slic might be realtively easy: disband unit inside the territory of a civilization you are not at war with. And then the slic will recreate that unit but with the other player as the owner.

Comment

well in real life, you cant actually give away soldiers... but there has been long histories of "lending" soldiers, like sending soldiers on campains under allied unified command. Of course its possible that equipment is traded b/w nations.

what about a system where units w/ limited life, like kings and heros, are created for the recipient and a certain garrisoned unit in a nearby city dies. If the lended unit is still alive at the end of its term, then the unit is recreated, maybe even elite (or general for lended elites), but if it died in battle then the lender does not recieve the unit back. That way, the general likely to win can futher ensure his position and future, while a fresh, but cunning and skilled general can make up ground on his enemies.

lending equipment can be done thru disbanding units like E said, but the new unit has to be weaker than the disbanded unit. that way, its less likely a technologically behind nation can put the most advanced army on the field. For historic examples, see WW2 Asia-Pacific, South Vietnam (esp their pilots), and just about just about any current arms sales.
            Last edited by HuangShang; January 21, 2006, 03:29.

Comment

I am generally not in favour of lending or giving units.

You can help an ally now with gold and public works. Units co-operating under an alliance can happen now (you ignore their ZOC and you can set a target for an ally (AOM 2)).

As HS said "well in real life, you cant actually give away soldiers... "

I think I will be leaving it at that at this stage.

Comment

stankarp, did you have to add new diplomacy stuff for giving an ally PW? Any chance you can find a way to access for territory or give territory (by offering cell X,Y)?

Comment

stankarp, did you have to add new diplomacy stuff for giving an ally PW?
                  By E.

I am using a new code that generates one only request from any and all ai in a turn, via a alert box, supplementary to normal Diplomacy.

That gives you the option to say yes or no, then the adjustments are made at the start of the human turn. Took a lot of fiddling and I put a restriction of only one possible request per turn so It does not end up like EU with messages everywhere.

The code covers;
                  An ally asking for gold.
                  An AI asking for PW aid.
                  A friendly AI proposing a Human arms reduction if Frenzy is too high.

Offering your territory is possible (in addition to the existing offering of a city, which happens a bit now with AI surrendering more regularly than before, I often give away a couple of cities I cannot defend or don't want because of cap restrictions).

It would be done by offering a watch tower/border fort , cut yours, place theirs. However, Martin had trouble with this because changing ownership of these types of tile improvements brings out a bug in the source code where those areas may go black again as if unexplored. On that basis I would be reluctant to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by stankarp

By E.

I am using a new code that generates one only request from any and all ai in a turn, via a alert box, supplementary to normal Diplomacy.

That gives you the option to say yes or no, then the adjustments are made at the start of the human turn. Took a lot of fiddling and I put a restriction of only one possible request per turn so It does not end up like EU with messages everywhere.

The code covers;
                    An ally asking for gold.
                    An AI asking for PW aid.
                    A friendly AI proposing a Human arms reduction if Frenzy is too high.

Offering your territory is possible (in addition to the existing offering of a city, which happens a bit now with AI surrendering more regularly than before, I often give away a couple of cities I cannot defend or don't want because of cap restrictions).

It would be done by offering a watch tower/border fort , cut yours, place theirs. However,

Cool!

Martin had trouble with this because changing ownership of these types of tile improvements brings out a bug in the source code where those areas may go black again as if unexplored. On that basis I would be reluctant to do it.

i think he fixed that in the playtest so it might be doable (and nice to give away some excess turf for more defensible borders.

Comment

Re giving away territory, Martin already wrote code for if a city changed hands, watch towers and fortifications in its area also changed hands.

It is in his BetterAI.slic and associated functions. I am sure that if you close the game and restart, the problem goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by stankarp
                        I had a customer yesterday who has put Civ 4 asided (very disappointed), confessed he had CTP2 but gave it away, so has paid for another second hand CTP2 disc and AOM disc so he can play AOM.
                        Okay... ya got me. Civ IV is still way too buggy for me and itsjust clunky. I downloaded AOM II to give it a try... but no CTPII disk anymore. Where could I get one quickly?
                        Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Welcome,

Stan might have one or Ebay, probably Amazon as well.

PS Stan in your interview you said you tried to buy the source code, how much did they want? we could raise a collection...

Comment

I still have CTP2 (takes about 8 days on average to get to USA or Europe).

$13.00 (Australian) including shipping (much cheaper than Xplosiv disc from Empire Interactive in UK).

AOM II is on target, but beware, I have found out how to disable the editor:-)

Comment

Stan I dont know if you've seen this:

I think it would be nice to add to AoMIII but I dont think we have to bundle it. I'm using civ_str.txt from the playtest so it should be compatible. But if you made changes to dipwizard.ldl and civ_str could you post them so I make sure they are compatible. I think this will be a nice touch to the awesome diplomacy you are doing.
                              Last edited by Ekmek; February 5, 2006, 14:53.

Comment

Sorry E, missed the question re the source code. I asked as a matter of interest rather than really offered, which was probably a mistake. As after that Activision seemed only interested in that, rather than a new EULA (Commercial) or even helping me by running off more games in bulk (discs only).

They wanted $250,000 US. Without the graphics.

I will be talking to you later this week re testing AOM III with the playtest.

I am planning a smaller map option to combine with the shorter game option already available. It would reduce the size of the gigantic back to the current huge map, but also increase the smaller ones a bit, i.e. reduce the differences a little. As Hex pointed out, some of the extras in AOM, such as the Barbarian spawn events are possibly a little excessive on smaller maps. It would make playtesting the combined code easier (it would be a bit quicker).

Comment

Working...
                                X