Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generaldoktor has it worked out. This is the link to AOM II hosted at Apolyton.

And here is the AOM III update file.

Comment

This is some years later i know, and most people have more then likely moved on, but I bought and played CTP2 back in 2002. It had so many things that made the game so great!

Well about a year later I lost the cd, and the game seemed to of dissapeared. Could find anywhere, but amazon who sold the game, any place that allowes one to download the game until just a month ago. I came across bit torrent, cost me 19dollars before i found bit torrent. At any rate, i found CTP2 in .rar files and downloaded it, and got my wife into it. In which we've been playing against eachother for the last 2 week now.

Well it came to my attention that there was alot of features missing that i remember the game having. . .so i downloaded the patch and found it didn't really change anything.

-I remember being able to see the game progress at the end of a victory, instead the game just goes back to the menu.

-I remember being able to request certain amounts of money from the AI per turn. I can't do that now.

-I remember being able to request another empire to stop attacking a certain empire. Can't do that.

-I remember the computer being smarter, and being able to see who i was in diplomacy with, like an image.

-I also remembered being able to build cities in space.

Well i long convinced myself that I had imagined all of that, lol. So I started to work on things to make in the text files. I am currently working on making a 6th era, which will later be the 7th era when i make the stoneage era an actual era in the game. Cause right now it starts off at the ancient era, but in the text files it speaks of the stoneage era before the encient era. Kind of leading into a matrix remake, heh.

But I decided to give 1 more look about and started to read some forums in another place which lead me here, which showed me the download and updates that my cd must of originally came with when i first purchased it.

Thank you, I am downloading it now and I'm sure it will make the game all the more fun for me again

Comment

A lot of people who liked the game, are playing the "Ages of Man" mod by Australia's Stan Karpinski now. There is a separate webpage sponsored by Apolyton for it and some separate threads too, though a lot of them were hijacked for what I consider an insane debate comparing the merits of the mod, one man's hard, but informal effort, with the mass-marketed "Civilization 4" by 2K Games, which has just extended its rather sputtering popularity with a new expansion pack.

Either way, there are a few hardcore CTP enthusiasts out there; I played the game when you did and still consider myself one. (I have the original disc.) I am however, not sure about some of the things you "remember," as I got involved with first Civ3, then some of its mods, then Civ4 and AOM and now, probably, will bow to the fascist rule of the majority and buy the Civ4 new expansion pack; which will take up more of my time. Of course, there was a CTP I also, which played sort of differently than CTP2, I recall. So maybe some of your memories are "latent" from the first CTP. The only CTP2 I've played lately, were about 100 turns to familiarize myself with the original concept in order to play "AOM", which Stan, designer of that mod, suggests. I don't remember the things you do, so I guess it is still a mystery.

Edit: I do remember space cities and that was definitely in CTPI. CTP2 had a "space elevator" or something you could build a city or otherwise station units atop, I vaguely recall, but that was it. The designers eliminated deep space mostly and so did Sid Meier for Civ3, which came out about the same time, (his Civ2 had a space dimension; ) guess they thought sci-fi games were a different gendre and that was not to be their specialty.
        Last edited by Generaldoktor; August 3, 2006, 03:41.
        You will soon feel the wrath of my myriad swordsmen!

Comment

Originally posted by Generaldoktor
          A lot of people who liked the game, are playing the "Ages of Man" mod by Australia's Stan Karpinski now. There is a separate webpage sponsored by Apolyton for it and some separate threads too,
          I would highly recommend playing CTP2 with this mod.

though a lot of them were hijacked for what I consider an insane debate comparing the merits of the mod, one man's hard, but informal effort, with the mass-marketed "Civilization 4" by 2K Games, which has just extended its rather sputtering popularity with a new expansion pack.
          Wanna start up again?

The designers eliminated deep space mostly and so did Sid Meier for Civ3, which came out about the same time, (his Civ2 had a space dimension; ) guess they thought sci-fi games were a different gendre and that was not to be their specialty.
          Actually, Civ2 didn't have space, Civ2: Test of Time did (a MUCH later version). ToT also had sci-fi and fantasy too! A really good game.

Dale

Comment

If you like CTP2, this is the best Mod out there.

If you do not like CTP or CTP2, play civ4.

If you realize that these are merely games, and value different perspectives on how TBS-based gaming approaches the presentation of concepts, play both AOM and civ4.

Simple enough...
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale

I would highly recommend playing CTP2 with this mod.

Wanna start up again?

Actually, Civ2 didn't have space, Civ2: Test of Time did (a MUCH later version). ToT also had sci-fi and fantasy too! A really good game.

Dale
              Okay Dale, I'm not into reopening the "Great Debate." The Australian guys are more combative and I'll leave it to them, if they want that. I'm going down to the store this week to plunk down for "Warlords" and I imagine, if he's interested in this type of game, the new inquirer may well do the same.

I am a little curious why the expansion is being released this far from Christmas. They won't be able to get off another one, before the holiday. Though critical of the game, I do play it and subscribe to numerous threads here on Apolyton dealing with it, which seemed to be tapering off. The very strategy itself of releasing the expansion this early before the big shopping holiday suggests a similar tapering of interest, as does a release during this strange summer period, here in North America, when indoor recreation such as strategy games would not seem to be at a premium. (Of course there is a crushing heat wave on presently, which Weather Channel tells me is virtually worldwide.)

Regardless, as I said, I will be down buying and playing "Warlords" and I'm sure many enthusiasts new and old will too. New debate not needed. For the inquirer, (LordLightning,) CTP and its AOM mod remain excellent, IMHO.

Oh, and Dale, I'll dig "Test of Time," which is the version I have, out of the garage sometime. I originally found it a little hokey compared to CTP, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Civ3 a lot; (as continuing to dislike Civ4, if I do, would not keep me from trying and maybe enjoying Civ5.) Who knows, maybe Civ 2 "TOT" has in fact withstood the "test of time."

[SIZE-1] Originally posted by Hexagonian [/SIZE]

If you like CTP2, this is the best Mod out there.

If you do not like CTP or CTP2, play civ4.

If you realize that these are merely games, and value different perspectives on how TBS-based gaming approaches the presentation of concepts, play both AOM and civ4.

Comment

Originally posted by Generaldoktor
                I am a little curious why the expansion is being released this far from Christmas. They won't be able to get off another one, before the holiday. Though critical of the game, I do play it and subscribe to numerous threads here on Apolyton dealing with it, which seemed to be tapering off. The very strategy itself of releasing the expansion this early before the big shopping holiday suggests a similar tapering of interest, as does a release during this strange summer period, here in North America, when indoor recreation such as strategy games would not seem to be at a premium. (Of course there is a crushing heat wave on presently, which Weather Channel tells me is virtually worldwide.)
                Cuz it was ready. That's why.

Oh, and it was 8 degrees here yesterday. Once again American TV shows us that only America exists.

New debate not needed. For the inquirer, (LordLightning,) CTP and its AOM mod remain excellent, IMHO.
                No debate there.

Dale

Comment

I was glad to support Ages of Man and have picked up the CD.It must have been hell to put together this game as only a handful worked on it.
                  I have been a long time fan of CtP2 as well and it still keeps me coming back for more.
                  I dont think I would invest this much time in any other game. With the playtest and builds (E is working hard) and mods,the replay value is unmatched.
                  Dale its great to see you posting here again.I know your hard at work with Civ4 modding.Have been follwing the forums. Giving some of the features that are in CtP2 will make Civ4 a perfect replacement for burned out fans, At some point.Thank you.

Comment

I must remember the whole space thing from the first ctp. I own both civ3 and civ4 and their expansions. I was extremely dissapointed in civ3. I liked civ4, but missed the futuristics of ctp2. . .excluding the lack of space cities.

Besides, my computer really lags on civ 4, once it gets up and going, though I did hear the patch supposely helps with that. So maybe I'll reinstall the game and the patch.

I did download all of AOM, have them installed and so forth. Its interesting, and I like it. Though, its kind of pushing me away from my 6th era in the making, that and my wife. . .My wife doesn't like the idea of a advance acting like a experiment gone wrong, shoving mankind back into the stoneages. . .well kind of. The advance destroys every city but 1 in every empire. Makes several units and buildings obsolete, and eventually heads into a paradise like stage.

At any rate, I think they should make a call to power 3, that allows space cities :P . I do think its possible to edit CTP2 for space building. if you read in a certain file it talks about something not being able to be build in space. I'll have to find it again, but i am heading to bed.

Comment

• I guess I've never played far enough into AOM to know about the Doomsday advance you're speaking of.

Re: Civ4; a lot of people's computers are taxed by it, including my 3-year-old, 3 gig, 512 RAM, 80 GB hard drive, which should not be obsolete, except it has a 128 mb video card, which was okay until Civ4 and maybe some other games from this year. The thing is a system hog and a lot of it, like the corny 3D, is unnecessary. It has something called "memory leak" also, which I don't fully understand, but they keep trying to reduce it with every patch/version and I think it is still there, to a great extent. Taxes the system also.

Activision owns the rights to Call to Power and won't sell them for a reasonable price or develop the game further. For some odd reason, they seem ashamed of the game, maybe because some designers who used to work with Sid Meier, developed it as competition and Sid's products are now clearly at the top of the food chain for popularity. There will never be a CTP3. Sorry. I am too.

Comment

• Actually, the memory leak as it's being called after the patches is not a memory leak in the technical sense.

Technically, a memory leak is where a piece of RAM is used but never released even when emptied.

With Civ4, as you get more and more units, more RAM is needed to store the info. The memory is released when the unit dies. However, anti-Civ4'ers are calling that a "memory leak".

Dale

Comment

• The dooms day is my own creation to the game. Nothing to do with AOM.

I wouldn't say never. Who knows, things happen. I'm not keeping my hopes up. Civ4 works fine on my computer, until i reach about 300 turns then it starts moving real slow. . .

Comment

• Okay, sorry about the misunderstanding about your mod.

Turn 300 is about the point my Civ4 gets sluggish, (real sluggish,) but a lot of that is discovering the whole map.

Just yesterday, in the new Warlords version, I (Ragnar) swindled Wan (Korean guy's) map out of him. Turns out he had been negotiating with other AI who wouldn't negotiate map with me and he had the whole thing. A giant Ice Age map of big islands, with lots of ice and water. As it all came in view, game speed dropped to a crawl.

Yeah, I could play on smaller maps. But if you buy a game, you want to explore its maximum potential. To me, big maps maximize possibilities and full graphics maximize the game experience. My system falls within both their "minimum" and "recommended" requirements; the d-mn thing should run. (I checked the revised requirements again the other day in the new "Warlords" manual.)

BTW, Warlords coolest scenario for me is Chinese Unification, which is done on a "small" map. I'm having a blast with it, even though the barbs ate me alive the first time; and no system problems on that, for as far as I got. (Honorable Mention for Vikings and Mongol scenarios.) But I meant what I said about wanting the maximum potentialites of the system explorable for me, particularly if I fall within the advertised minimum requirements.

Comment

• Hi,
                              I got a problem running AOM II, if i press the LAUNCH button in game a window pops up saying "insert CTP2 CD.."
                              i tryed copying the texture.dat but didnt work
                              i have a german CTP2 CD.. could this be the problem?
                              thx
                              Frag Monkey

Comment

• Not sure about the German version but this has worked with other version such as Xplosiv discs.

Cant find CTP2 Disc error.

When I first started thinking about releasing CTP2, I was told all CTP2 game discs were identical. However, after I released, a number of people reported that AOM would not recognize their ctp2 disc. Subsequently, I found out that some discs are not identical to the original release (which AOM was designed on), especially Xplosiv discs out of the UK.

1) Place your ctp2 disc in the cd rom, close down the game if it auto starts, go into my computer, and open the ctp2 disk by right clicking and selecting explore.
                                2) go to setup/data/add/ctp2_program/ctp, copy the file texture.dat.
                                3) open your AOM folder, go to AOM5.5.05/ctp2_program/ctp and paste the texture.dat from your xplosiv disc to replace the one in the AOM folder.

Comment

Working...
                                X