Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thx for the fast reply, but i did the copying.. didnt work.
    in the "ctp2_data" directory i have a folder called "german" instead of "english"... i tryed renaming but nothing changed.
    by the way, how can i find out what disc version (xplosiv, other... ) i have?

Comment

• I know someone in France managed to get AOM to work on the French version but that was over a year ago and don't know where the thread is.

Look at the disc you have. If it is an Activision disc it will say so.

Comment

• ok thx, i will try to get it running
        there is "activision" written on disc and cover, so i think its
        the original version...

i am now realy curious about the mod! i loved CTP2 but it was
        not balanced very good, and i hope AOM is the way CTP2 was ment to be

frag monkey

Comment

• so what happened with AoM 4? it was released the 21st?

Comment

• Is there any way to turn off the barbarians in version 4?

Comment

• Hi,

Whenever you start a new game, you have to set the difficulty. There's the difficulty itself, and then you can also set a 'difficulty' for barbarians, "Marauders" being the most difficutl setting.

I guess you have to start a new game and set your difficulty differently, but maybe you can also access the cheat menu (the most right tab on the top screen menu bar will give you a dropdown menu with, among others, Save Game, Load Game, and... Cheat Menu). On the bottom of the cheat screen, you see your current difficutly settings. I don't know however, what would happen if you were to change these in the middle of a game, but you could try.

Tellius
              Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

Comment

• Yes, but neither seems to work with AOM 4? I'd like to play at least initially without the barbarians attacking at all. I am set at beginner and no barbarians when I start a new game, I went into the cheat and set barbarians as not so bad (don't have game at work to look up exact wording).

The barbarians keep coming and in huge #'s with better military than I am capable of creating. I could understand this if the difficulty was set higher, but I just wanted to get a feel for the game and work my way though before I start turning difficulty up higher.

The game plays very nice, lots of details and options which is all great and I see a lot of hard work went into it. But while realism is a great option it should be just an option that can be tweaked until a player is prepared to reach that level. I'm hoping I am doing something wrong, or maybe there is a config file setting I can control this by as the conventional difficulty and barbarian settings don't appear to work.

Thanks for answering, btw!

Oh, does anyone know why the AOM forums are not working?

Comment

• Hi,

Then I hope someone else with a better understanding of all the txt files can and will answer you on this one.

You can normally see a huge difference between the most difficult barbarian setting and the lowest one...

Tellius
                  Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

Comment

• Thanks, Tellius.

I started a couple of new games last night - the first was with difficulty on hard and requesting ruins only. I did not see any barbarians, but the AI was tough and I was conquered.

The next game I started with medium and requested ruins only, but there were barbarians who built their own cities close to mine. I am still playing this game and the barbarians have been manageable so far, but the AI is still tough and I'd prefer not to have the distractions. It seems I spend most of my production on replacing military units so its difficult to stay on top of the other aspects of development.

I like that the game progresses more slowly than CTP2, and each advance brings a portion of what CTP2 advances achieved. This makes the game a lot more challenging.

Comment

• He waynem

The Barb settings at the Start screen have just influence of the "normal" appearence of Barbs, in CTP II. If you choose the easiest one there will be no barbs, or at least just a few every now an than. And you won´t get much benefit from the ruins with this setting.
                      Nevertheless there will be, as far as I know, some huge Barbarian Incursion because of AOM IV. It´s programmed in the Slic files to reflect the great Barbarian Incursions at the End of the Ancient Ages, the so called Dark Ages. So you have to reckon with them anyway.

Walter

Comment

• Thanks, Walter, sounds like there is no way around it.

Comment

• If I recall, there should be no barbs at all for first 100 turns (not completely sure about that number). After that barbs will show up, but in AoM, they are spawned by a barb "leader" who will be stationary. Finding and killing the leaders will end barb spawning for 1 or 2 hundred turns, I think. These are just the regular barbarian activity, not the special "Barb Hordes" events.

Comment

• Hi there!
                            I've a strange issue with that mod.
                            I'm using a french version of CTP2, with the mod installed. The problem is that the game won't launch a new map, and keeps asking for my CD... which is already in the computer!
                            Is there any fix of such things?

Comment

• Did you try this?

Originally posted by stankarp
                              This is a known error and is covered in the AOMII readme.

If when trying to launch AOM you get a “can’t find ctp2 disc error”, the following should fix it.
                              a) go into your ctp2 disc by right clicking in My Computer and use explore.
                              b) In folder ctp-program/ctp is a file, texture.dat. Copy then
                              c) Paste that file into the same location in your AOM folder to replace the one that came on the AOM disc or download.

Comment

• Unit Updater

Can units be updated in AOM ?
                                "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X