X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filix
    replied
    Originally posted by Grandpa Troll

I agree Math, I often do that..but switch buying is well..never mind that can of worms has been opened,ate,puked up and ate again tooooo many times
    Ok it was just an idea

Leave a comment:

• Grandpa Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Mathemagician
    i dont think that is legal
    but starting an expensive improvement in time sure is
    I agree Math, I often do that..but switch buying is well..never mind that can of worms has been opened,ate,puked up and ate again tooooo many times

Leave a comment:

• Mathemagician
    replied
    i dont think that is legal
    but starting an expensive improvement in time sure is

Leave a comment:

• filix
    replied
    Its good to produce an colusseum or a cathedral before you get the invention that allows you to build the wonder.
    When you get the knowlege buy the cthedral and switch to the wonder

Leave a comment:

• blackice
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Grandpa Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by blackice
    One you missed?

Dang man!
    I was kinda thinking..of a strategy I used once..named several cities Boston (where i built London)..of course i switched the location to like Atlanta and had it defended and the human kept attacking different Bostons trying to take over London..

Leave a comment:

• blackice
    replied
    One you missed?

Dang man!

Leave a comment:

• Grandpa Troll
    replied
    Ok two schools of thought, anyone else have any ideas how to defend/beat london's?

Where we all agree is in the start of the game.
    yeah thats a great point

Leave a comment:

• blackice
    replied
    Ok two schools of thought, anyone else have any ideas how to defend/beat london's?

Where we all agree is in the start of the game.

Leave a comment:

• blackice
    replied

Ok Max spill the beans what do you have with all that experience to add. Come on I know you have something to add.

Leave a comment:

• Max Webster
    replied

And oldies alike though, Good input.

Yeah teach an old dog some new tricks

Leave a comment:

• Max Webster
    replied
    Rocking, yeah. Now yeah talking .....rockn and rollin

Leave a comment:

• blackice
    replied
    That would mean you will need 2 spacefighters over every city that has enough production to produce a space fighter in reasonable time, 50 cities maybe? you need 2 spacefighters over every city in order to secure that active air defence kills at least one space fighter.
    Not really, they can not launch from that city if you are above it, so one does the trick beside whats to stop them from moving 2 squares and launching... Now lets see your opponent launches a 20-30 ship attack when they are done they are truely done. One should consider a 10% loss per turn but let's assume londons is at stake, you would produce 20-30 s.f.'s. That would mean at minimum you have made a huge dent in thier ability to take your cities.. Now you are going to launch a counter attack wiping out most if not all, depending on how many more s.f.'s you made. Yes your opponent can attack on the next turn but don't forget to make a successful nuke, marine, space plane attack. You need lots s.f.'s... So this slows if not wipes out the mass civ. killer attack. Face it next turn it is all s.f.'s and it starts all over again the next turn. So no one wins that one. Even with just attrition with pollution off both players lose enough to the point no one wins. The game will crash no different than civilization the original game. One thing for sure londons is gone and the entire point is mute.

I see a lot of your strategy depends on a large science advantage Dimytes. Other than a large land and goods advantage this is not the case most of the time in head to head games. This much we do know and it should not be either. So when we write of tactics and game strategies such as the marine, nuke, space plane, space fighter tactic. More or less what we are assuming is an even game as it should be or what's the point right?

So lets break this down into 2 components. One assumes a land and goods advantage and or a way weaker player. That strategy is easy and worth mention too, go on the attack, drop science for the gold and mass produce troops. Again this gets into a cost (attrition) game. No one has every city covered so it is viable and has been done. ;0)

That way if behind on science your opponent provides it and that slows them down from the "surge" so to speak of the londons. Spies are very useful at this point too again cheaper than nukes and way more useful. Joe Londons just may find that city does not exsist with in a short time. Keep spies, lawyers in the mix at all times. As you clear the path spot thier spies if any and go after them with a vengence. Clear the way to major cities do not go after weak one's because you can. Ignore them head for the gold, science and center if the opponents civ. Do not worry about being routed because all your civ. should be producing marines and air now and waves of troops are to follow. Also it depends on your science and how close to robotics you are, if close keep the science. Say 7-10 turns max. Still depends on if at war or not, build the military to attack.

The other an even game where by the time you have the londons not only are you close to your opponent but land and goods and skill are even. By doing that we do not confuse the newbies.
    After all that is what this thread is for creating and even balance a level playing field.
    Face it the better your opponent the better the game you have.

That being the case you should be 4-7 turns from robotics. Stay the course and develop gold and science. Be tactful and go after odd balls like hollywood. Use special units to obtain extra gold, at this point you will need to increase you city improvements also. Start with basics acadamy and market in every city. Even if that means giving up a nuclear plant. It will pay off in the end. You should not only catch up to the opponent but should pass them in short order.

Now who would would pass a major space convoy and drop down and nuke a civ., that you know has the ability to do the same to you? Seems a waste to me especially if you are going to lose your edge, londons. Deterents work especially when you deliver the goods... Use diplomacy it's part of the game...So is BS poker BTW having fifty space fighters at this point in the game is not unheard of.

The big mistake people make with nukes is launch them too early without the ability to finish it. You take the pollution hit, unhappiness and the rest. So even with londons your hurting. At this point in the game to do such an attack successfully you need a combination of wonders. On that note same goes for city improvements, one can win a game against wonders with just city improvements... Follow up with nuke attacks and take the city over, create a buffer zone. Earth world find another angle of attack, donut world hit the back door.

Now this thread is rocking

Leave a comment:

• Dimytes
    replied

Actually there are a few defences, but most are deterents as stated above. One other is to rest space fighters over thier cities. No way to launch then. The key is obviously the space deterent and a.a.
    That would mean you will need 2 spacefighters over every city that has enough production to produce a space fighter in reasonable time, 50 cities maybe? you need 2 spacefighters over every city in order to secure that active air defence kills at least one space fighter.
    Thats a lot of space fighters...
    If you aren't ahead in advances you won't be able to build up such force until he has done the same. He could clear his space quite easily then.

True with some variations as ber pointed out, for instance why stop at forty when by the time your at forty you have commie.
    I usually have hit 40 quite some time before I get communism unless it is a map with good gold sources.

London's is good but we will be posting on ways to beat it. There are many, in a current game I have the opponent had londons, I have 80% of all wonders.
    I don't see any ways to beat london exchange that your opponent can't do. Well there is one thing that can cover up for the lack of sience, build Gallileo telescope in a size 10 city and then put so many workers on sience that you have no surplus on food, This usually gives you about 1000 sience in that city if you build all available sience improvements.
    But on the other hand, your opponent can do this before you as well...
    As a matter of fact there is a 2nd thing you can do, focus 100% on developing mass production so London Exchange gets obsolete.

©2004 Dimytes
    Last edited by Dimytes; October 8, 2004, 18:21.

Leave a comment:

• blackice
    replied
    There is no real defence against that. Only thing to do in my opinion is to get the advances first and strike first.
    Actually there are a few defences, but most are deterents as stated above. One other is to rest space fighters over thier cities. No way to launch then. The key is obviously the space deterent and a.a.

And then all gets back to the old rabbit strategy:
    True with some variations as ber pointed out, for instance why stop at forty when by the time your at forty you have commie.

8. Race for London Exchange! 100% focus on this. If you win this you will most likley get 80% or more of all future key wonders.
    London's is good but we will be posting on ways to beat it. There are many, in a current game I have the opponent had londons, I have 80% of all wonders.

9. Watch your opponents chin hit the floor.
    Never seen that.

Satisfied Blackice?
    Rarely good to see you here helping the newbies and oldies alike though, more of course is always good. Good input.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X