X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for Demos 7 & 8

Hi All, and Happy New Year!

BTW save Everything big you post in the near future... I would have lost two long posts in the latest server mess if I hadn't had them backed up.

Here is a coding plan for the not-too-distant future that I have worked up with some input from Gary. It is intended to roughly cover progress through April 2002. It is in priority order. I am going to try to go to some level of detail in this, although the details will be greatest for the items nearest in time. Currently my guess is that the breakpoint for demo 7 comes, appropriately enough, after item 7. However, due to the vagaries of fate and team availability, items before seven might be left out, and items after seven might well be included. Some code architecture items will not be clear, just ignore a milestone if it’s meaning is mystifying.

There are still many open issues from the Planning for D6 thread. Everyone who is interested is encouraged to glance over it again and see if the features mentioned there that didn’t make it on to my list belong. After some discussion I will revise this list as appropriate.

Let me know what you think!

1. Refactored territory administration system, with economics implications. (Gary, Mark, already about 80% complete)

2. Implement civs controlling territory organized in provinces with many squares (Gary) (requires 1)

3. Technology model running with limited test techs.
    3a. Agree to XML spec and method for handling Applications (Richard, Gary, Laurent)
    3b. Tech test code passes simple test case for tech and application activity, and turn handler appropriately distributing research points as called for by tech test XML. (Gary)
    3c. Military code uses tech system to determine when elements are available for build, determine effectiveness of elements, and feedback RPs into tech when battles occur. (Laurent)
    3d. Economics code uses tech system to alter productivity and economic sectors (farming etc.) and feedback RPs into tech from these activities. Education infrastructure creates RP's player can assign. (Mark)
    3e. Alpha tech interface that informs players about levels of technologies, and allows allocation of RPs generated by education to various Activities. (Gary)

4. Old government/social model code integrated mostly as-is. Essentially we have F_Smith's old implementation of the government/social system from "the beast". It already has a simple interface for changing government model parameters. The plan here is to take that old code, adapted to the current architecture, and get it into the next major demo. (Mark, already about 40% complete)

5. Rivers, ports, ships, boarding etc. (Gary, Laurent)

6. A much improved AI, using AI Plan architecture to handle relatively simple attack in defense issues. (Gary, Mark)

7. All game initialization data in XML files (mainly settings, tech, economy, military data and scenarios - we will leave game saving and restoring for D8+). (Gary, Laurent, Mark)

--- Release Demo 7 (Tentative)

8. The start of an on-line help system. The on-line system should have links to the relevant manual portions. (Gary)

9. A more useful merchant system, eliminate merchant teleporting, enable use of merchants as military quartermasters, have areas of the map which are attractive to both civilizations and merchants because of their resources. Perhaps use merchants for tech diffusion. (Mark)

10. Much larger tech tree with more Applications and Activities. (Richard)

11. Limited diplomacy model (Mark or Gary, or hopefully some new coder).

12. Update government/social model to current spec including Riots model (Mark)
    12b. Update government GUI to current spec (Gary).

13. A beginning proper map generator (Gary).

14. Social/economy model interactions.

15. save files

--- Release Demo 8 (Tentative)

[edit]Our targets have changed substantially since this went up. In mid-February we redirected ourselves in theReworking our Demo Approach thread. The goals in this thread are still relevant, but making the game more understandable to playtesters who walk in now gets higher priority than just implementing more models. What is listed here as demos 7 and 8 might stretch to Demo 10 or so under the new situation.
    Last edited by Mark_Everson; March 28, 2002, 22:42.
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

My main comment is that I would promote 7 to position 1. My reason is that this area is progressing, and the more work that is done before the reorganization, the more work that will need refactoring. Once it is done, adding new features in any of the areas becomes quite easy.

Cheers

Comment

Agree with Gary. Also promote #15 somewhere before demo 7.

IMHO Saves=everything
      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      George Orwell

Comment

Hi All:

Gary, I did agree that 7 could go first with you, just forgot to bump it up. And the list was meant to be mostly mine anyway

Axi, there is already a guy named Chris Maeda working on the saves. I don't think he's shown up on the forum yet... So there is hope for your demands!
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

I feel quite strongly the saves should be incremental. That is, you don't save the game, just the changes since the last save. This will make the size of the saved files enormously smaller.

I also believe that it will be possible to save the entire progress of the game this way, allowing restarting at any point, or animated replays, to see just what did happen.

Cheers

Comment

I feel quite strongly the saves should be incremental. That is, you don't save the game, just the changes since the last save. This will make the size of the saved files enormously smaller.
            Although I tend to agree since it makes save/load faster, I doubt on the file size issue. Do you mean you will have several linked files (in which case the latter files will indeed be small)? If you have a single file, it will usually get bigger after 2 incremental saves than it would have been had it been rewritten entirely.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

What I had in mind was a single zip file (per game) containing a zipped up file for the start, and one for each successive turn.

What I do want to avoid is having to save a possibly huge, and substantially identical, map for every save. If a map is Earth sized, it will have something like 120x300 squares (depending on the projection accepted - remember my comments on using real coordinates). Each map square has around 1000 bytes of information, say. This gives 36 Mb per map. 1000 turns gives...

Cheers

Comment

I really like the Civ option, at the end of the game, of replaying the spread of empires. I usually replay it many times. The incremental method allows very detailed replays.

One thing missing from Civ is that when you meet a new civilization you have no idea of its history. This is unrealistic since that is pretty much the first thing you would find out. I would envisage that (at a price) you could replay another civilization's history, to get some idead of its behaviour.

Cheers

Comment

Gary, if we used incremental saves, then swapping savegames would be impossible. We should do it like every other game out there. Plus making it possible to isolate the elements of the savegame from the file (the map, the population, the infrastructure, the civs).

As for the map, it will be as big as our computers will let it be. We may end up with a game unplayabe in maps with more than 1000 tiles - so what?
                  "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                  George Orwell

Comment

I also think we should have standard save files. But I do really like the replay option. I think it would be worthwhile to have a dedicated file, or sequence of files to enable replay as Gary suggests. Since for replay many of the very small details aren't important, those files could be relatively small compared to a save file.

Comment

Gary, if we used incremental saves, then swapping savegames would be impossible.
                      I cannot see why this follows at all. What is the problem?
                      I also think we should have standard save files. But I do really like the replay option. I think it would be worthwhile to have a dedicated file, or sequence of files to enable replay as Gary suggests. Since for replay many of the very small details aren't important, those files could be relatively small compared to a save file.
                      I think that the extra complexity of having two systems will probably be counter-productive. The only possible reason is to save disk space, and I really don't see this as being a problem.
                      There is another possiblity which I like the idea of - that is to load the game at some point, and choose another civilization. So yuou can play the game as Scipio or as Hannibal, to see how well you do. Incremental saves allow this in an easy manner.

Cheers

Comment

I think Axi's point was that if there are 452 sequential files involved in a save, and you miss on, you're dead. whereas if there is one file its easy not to screw up.

Originally posted by Gary Thomas
                        There is another possiblity which I like the idea of - that is to load the game at some point, and choose another civilization. So yuou can play the game as Scipio or as Hannibal, to see how well you do. Incremental saves allow this in an easy manner.
                        Periodic saves of the whole game also allow this.

I just think that So Much is going to change over even a few turns that you will end up saving virtually the entire game every time anyway. The unchanging parts are: The map outlines, and numbers of sites per map square will change infrequently. Just about everyting else will change over relatively small numbers of turns. Everything in the economy changes gradually, Same for much of the Social model. These are the largest memory-users in the game.

At any rate, we need something to save the Whole game for the first turn. I don't think incremental saves are going to be Needed, even if we go that way, for Many demos into the future. So I suggest we table the topic until we can see what fraction of the data change over a few turns, and we can then gauge the worthiness of incremental saves.

Cya,

Mark

Comment

I think Axi's point was that if there are 452 sequential files involved in a save, and you miss on, you're dead. whereas if there is one file its easy not to screw up.
                          There will be only one zip file per game. It will contain the original scenario in an internal file. Each incremental save will be another internal file. So to send the game to someone else you send just the zip file.

Actually this system uses less files than other systems, one per game rather than one per save.

Cheers

Comment

Hey Gary:

Sorry, you had said that way at the beginning of the discussion and I missed it.

Comment

I want to echo Axi's question about swapping files. If you somehow delete the save file, will you be able to save it and have the same functionality? (save as).
                              You will miss the replay, since we won't keep all the history in-memory. Now, you don't have to delete files, but you can swap them, make save as, copy and move them, and eventually screw up the final replay.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Working...
                              X