No announcement yet.

"Chiron's One Ocean" turn tracking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY 2102 to H0bbes. Nothing special happened.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
      Forwarded!
      And I was lucky...
      Are you playing with SMAniaC? Normally those units should have five movement points.

Comment

Yes, since my seapods run on 5 movements I assume I do.
        And I updated with the info behind your signature link after the 15th.

Just checked my alphax.txt, and it states 5 movements for the foil chassis. Perhaps it simply doesn't display properly?
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Are you playing with SMAniaC? Normally those units should have five movement points.
          Yep, Geo. Seems you need to make another copy of SMAX on your machine.

Speaking about rules:

I'm _strongly_ against Stockpiling and it seems very tedious to me to insert it after each unit. Besides, it's a _bug_ and shouldn't be exploited.

And other rules look pretty obvious and all of them cover bugs and other stupid things that can be exploited the way that could spoil the fun. Hobbes, I don't quite get why you're so surprised.

Comment

Just checked my alphax.txt, and it states 5 movements for the foil chassis. Perhaps it simply doesn't display properly?
            Could be of course. I've never played a SMAniaC multiplayer before, so we can't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirov
              I'm _strongly_ against Stockpiling and it seems very tedious to me to insert it after each unit. Besides, it's a _bug_ and shouldn't be exploited.
              Some clarification about the stockpile energy bug.

The nature of the stockpile energy bug is that when production is finished and then switches to stockpile energy, the game already gives a turn worth of energy in the same turn the previous production item was finished.

Normally when a unit is finished the base continues to produce another item of the same type, so the stockpile energy bug doesn't feature in the story.

When a base facility or secret project is built and there's no item in the build queue, production automatically switches to stockpile energy. Then the stockpile energy bug does feature and free energy is received.

You could deal with this situation in three ways.

If you want to play the game completely without the stockpile energy bug, you should make a rule that it's forbidden to put stockpile energy in the queue behind units, but also that you always must put some item other than stockpile energy in the build queue when you're producing a facility or project.

This seems to me just as tedious as putting stockpile energy behind every unit.

A second option is what Kirov proposes: forbidden to put stockpile energy in the queue after units. This has as side-effect though that facility-builders get an unfair advantage over unit-builders/warmongers for the reason mentioned above: the stockpile energy bug still features when completing facilities and projects.

That's as far as I know the main reason why the third option (stockpile energy bug allowed) is used in most PBEM games H0bbes and I have played. Then unit builders don't get a disadvantage over facility builders and the playing field is evened. The rule is also more likely to be lived by and not forgotten than the first option. Players have an incentive to consistently add stockpile energy after units, while there's no advantage in always putting some item after facilities.

Personally I also consider using the stockpile energy bug a useful way to know when a unit production has finished. As said above, if nothing is in the queue the base will just continue building another unit, and you won't get a message a unit is built.

That being said, I'm neutral on the issue of stockpile energy bug. I'm fine with what the majority decides.

Comment

Well, that explanation changes a lot. So far I thought it is using this bug which gives advantage to builders... I guess there's a lot of misunderstanding on this issue, as I've heard several kind of explanations and seen different stockpiling in different replacement games (most popular being inserting stockpile everyone, be it a unit or fac).

All right, now I'm in favour of stockpiling. What's Geo's opinion?

Comment

Take a look at your thread in AC-Creation section.

Comment

I would go for not deliberetaly using Stockpile Energy between unit/facilities production... reason is it gives players an advantage over the AI's.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Kirov & myself are for using the stockpile energy, Geo is against, Smaniac is neutral.

The ayes have it.

Turned.

There will be at least one reload message- drawbuffer error.
                      Last edited by H0bbes; November 12, 2005, 18:53.
                      If you want to kiss the sky/Better learn how to kneel/On your knees boy - U2, Mysterious Ways

http://zanature.wordpress.com

Comment

2103 to Geo.

Comment

Wow, that's a mighty jump you took in the graphs Kirov.

Onwards to Maniac.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Didn't receive anything.

Then again, it's been sent only five minutes ago.

Comment

I have the habit of posting first before sending, and did my turn report inbetween.

Try again in a few minutes.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Wow, that's a mighty jump you took in the graphs Kirov.
                                Lucky with juicy pods.

Comment

Working...
                                X