Open Letter to Apolyton CS and the Greater Civ Community

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher View Post

Yes, Dan did a lot over the years and in a lot of ways I am grateful. But that's not relevant to this discussion. It is perfectly reasonable for Imran and others to explain why a lot of the people -- many of which are not what you dismissively call "trolls" -- feel that this is the wrong decision. The fact that Dan has done a lot for the site doesn't mean we can't discuss this or ask him to reconsider.
    You know, you're right, we should be able to have a mature discussion about it. That doesn't change the fact that several of the most active posters in 'splitter' threads are only in them because they like creating drama, and don't actually care about the issues other than through that drama. Quite frankly if I were Dan I wouldn't engage in such discussions, at least for now.

You yourself have continuously mocked 'PolyCast. Now it's gone and all of a sudden you are aghast. Sorry, it doesn't wash. I actually think you do genuinely care - but it's constantly fighting with your desire to score points against Dale and others.

If you really want an open debate, try not being an ass for a couple of weeks and I think you'd be more successful.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
      You know, you're right, we should be able to have a mature discussion about it. That doesn't change the fact that several of the most active posters in 'splitter' threads are only in them because they like creating drama, and don't actually care about the issues other than through that drama. Quite frankly if I were Dan I wouldn't engage in such discussions, at least for now.

You yourself have continuously mocked 'PolyCast. Now it's gone and all of a sudden you are aghast. Sorry, it doesn't wash. I actually think you do genuinely care - but it's constantly fighting with your desire to score points against Dale and others.

If you really want an open debate, try not being an ass for a couple of weeks and I think you'd be more successful.
      I don't like PolyCast at all. I've made that very clear. That has nothing to do with the obvious impropriety involved in taking PolyCast and hosting it elsewhere.

Dan can do what he wants with it -- I've made that clear, too -- but it's increasingly apparent to me that Dan does not comprehend the social dynamics of this site. There's a ton of people upset by this, and he should hear why. Your solution to basically shut up and kiss ass does nothing but let certain people keep their 'ignorance is bliss' philosophy.

FWIW, you are being an ass in this thread by calling anyone who is questioning what is going on here a troll. If you re-read the thread, you'll see I was not being an ass. I was being serious and not calling any names or going overboard. I was explaining the general sentiment among a significant portion of the site's population. It was you, DrSpike, that came in with offensive characterizations about the intent of people who questioned what's going on here. You are not contributing to an honest, mature debate and you are being an ass. Strongly recommend you re-read the thread and reconsider the direction you are dragging the thread.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No, some people are striving for a mature discussion. They are not trolls. The ones who are trolling are though (it's important not to just look at this thread)

And they are spoiling it for the first group, which is a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike View Post
          No, some people are striving for a mature discussion. They are not trolls. The ones who are trolling are though (it's important not to just look at this thread)

And they are spoiling it for the first group, which is a shame.
          PM me if you want to troll this discussion further. I'm done with it.

Again, re-read the thread. Imran and notyoueither (NOT TROLLS by any reputation) were politely and pointedly describing the sentiment in the community at large. You came in and essentially name-called everyone participating in the discussion as:
          trolls here who care more about creating drama than they do about building community

which was the first troll of the entire thread. You're now contributing further by continuing this assertion that isn't relevant to the thread in any way.

If I were Cybershy, I'd seriously reconsider making you moderator of any forum here considering you're demonstrating an ineptitude with forum protocol that should be inconsistent with administrative standards.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Lol, cut the righteous indignance. The fact of the matter is you are a victim of how you choose to act. I don't think you should change that - it's quite entertaining - but don't squeal like a stuck pig when it closes off avenues you might otherwise have had.

Comment

@ DrSpike. Can't leave well enough alone.

Comment

I do not want to close this thread.
                Can we please stick to the letter of Dan and respect him because of everything he did?

Everybody has been able to make his point.
                From now on I'll delete all posts that refer to the name of Polycast, implicit or explicit.
                If you want to discuss this topic create a thread in the OTF.

Thanks to all.

Robert
                Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                  I do not want to close this thread.
                  Can we please stick to the letter of Dan and respect him because of everything he did?

Everybody has been able to make his point.
                  From now on I'll delete all posts that refer to the name of Polycast, implicit or explicit.

Thanks to all.

Robert
                  I have a better idea, permaban Asher. It's all his fault anyway...
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

As for my retaining ownership in the PolyCast series of podcasts, including its name, this was part of my transfer of ownership agreement with Robert.
                    I was under the assumption that you would continue to host it here. You created Apolyton. It made perfect sense to me that you'd keep your own little nook and keep up-to date with the goings on here.

Not only is PolyCast the series' established name, but the name reflects its roots. Roots that I am proud of. I find it unbelievable that I am now being labeled by some as a "traitor", a deserter, and an all around someone who does not care about Apolyton.
                    We find it inexplicable that you would take Polycast anywhere but here. Frankly, I don't understand or accept your rationales. You are always welcome here, and there is no 'conflict' between you and Cybershy with you staying on at Polycast and hosting it here. None whatsoever.

That could not be further from the truth; I guess that there will be always be critics who try to find fault with anything that others do.
                    Dan, have I ever said a word negative about PolyCast? Ever? I thought it was a good idea, which is why I expected you to continue hosting it here as PolyCast.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hence the reason I created a discussion thread yesterday for this topic, so that it wouldn't make this tribute thread drift.

It is a question for the administration. Why don't you let my thread come back again, or shall I start another one here?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The name "PolyCast" still has something to do with Apolyton. PolyCast is a Civ community podcast, and Apolyton is a member of that community.
                        So why not host it at CFC and call it Polycast?

Dan, it's already acquired the nickname of PandaCast so it's in your best interests to ditch the Poly name altogether for something that is more appropriate with your decision to host it elsewhere.

Further, PolyCast began on and, up until the start of this month was, as an official podcast of Apolyton. To me, changing the name from "PolyCast" would have in great part been trying to restrict, possibly even remove, acknowledgment of that proud association.
                        You made that decision Dan, when you chose to take it with you. I'm sorry, but you chose to throw that association in the trash. Taking the name won't change the reality, which is that PolyCast has nothing to do with Poly anymore, no moree then it has to do with CFC.

I like you Dan, but I think this is a terrible decision on your part, and I wish you'd reconsider.

Comment

Pandacast
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                          X