Transition 2009: Executive Changeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transition 2009: Executive Changeover

The oldest, continuously operating Civilization fansite is undergoing a complete executive changeover. In what is the most significant change in its administration since one of its co-founders left its ranks two-and-a-half years ago, its other co-founder is following similar suit.

Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) Chief Owner/Administrator Daniel "DanQ" Quick is leaving that role and the site's staff altogether effective May 1, 2009. He reached an agreement to transfer controlling ownership to current staff member Robert Plomp (formerly "CyberShy"). He, in turn, is splitting that role equally with fellow Civ fan Jeroen Schweitzer to become Chief Owners/Administrators. Following their own respective considerations in turn, the rest of the site's current administration are leaving those capacities as well. Co-Owners/Administrators Wouter "Locutus" Snijders, Ming and rah and Co-Administrator Solver have also all decided to no longer be apart of the ACS staff, to coincide with Quick's departure.

Quick intends to continue to be an active part of the online Civilization community, however. He will be retaining ownership and otherwise control of PolyCast, an ongoing series of podcasts on Civ, and Age of Nations, a now concluded dramatic machinima series based in the Rise of Nations game engine. He will also continue to serve as an adviser to the Committee behind CivCon '09, the Civilization convention to be held this August in Hunt Valley, Maryland.

"Apolyton Civilization Site is a big name in the Civilization community. We're excited to get a leading role in the future of this site," says Plomp. "Daniel Quick has been very important to it, and he'll be sorely missed. We are quite positive that we'll be able to deal with the issues Apolyton is facing these days, and it's our goal to have Apolyton remain an important source for Civ-related information and communication".

"This was not a decision I came to easily, or lightly," Quick says. "I have been a fansite operator in the Civ community for almost 13 years. I have had the honour and privilege of working with so many thoughtful and talented individuals who share a passion for the computer (and now also console) strategy game known as Civilization. I have made associations, connections and friendships that I value very much and look forward to continuing and growing beyond the here and now.

But I know that my stepping aside is in the best interests of Apolyton and myself. It is time for me to make way for Robert and Jeroen who are willing and able to take on the challenges this site faces. I have had the opportunity to speak to them about their intentions and preliminary plans, and am encouraged."

"As we speak we are busy investigating and considering some pretty awesome possibilities for the future," Plomp adds. "Thanks to Dan for all the work he has put into Apolyton, and all the enthusiasm and dedication that has made Apolyton an important source for Civ-related content for a decade!"

Quick and company have served as Apolyton's first Cabinet, the internal name given to the site's administration, since November 2006 (with Solver joining its ranks the following September). Quick co-founded the site with Markos "MarkG" Giannopoulos in July 1998, who left the site's staff earlier this year. Quick has written and posted an open letter to the Apolyton and greater Civilization community on his decision here. ACS has been an independently owned and non-commercial operation since its inception.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Originally posted by DanQ View Post
    The oldest, continuously operating Civilization fansite is undergoing a complete executive changeover. In what is the most significant change in its administration since one of its co-founders left its ranks two-and-a-half years ago, its other co-founder is following similar suit.

Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) Chief Owner/Administrator Daniel "DanQ" Quick is leaving that role and the site's staff altogether effective May 1, 2009. He reached an agreement to transfer controlling ownership to current staff member Robert Plomp (formerly "CyberShy"). He, in turn, is splitting that role equally with fellow Civ fan Jeroen Schweitzer to become Chief Owners/Administrators. Following their own respective considerations in turn, the rest of the site's current administration are leaving those capacities as well. Co-Owners/Administrators Wouter "Locutus" Snijders, Ming and rah and Co-Administrator Solver have also all decided to no longer be apart of the ACS staff, to coincide with Quick's departure.

Quick intends to continue to be an active part of the online Civilization community, however. He will be retaining ownership and otherwise control of PolyCast, an ongoing series of podcasts on Civ, and Age of Nations, a now concluded dramatic machinima series based in the Rise of Nations game engine. He will also continue to serve as an adviser to the Committee behind CivCon '09, the Civilization convention to be held this August in Hunt Valley, Maryland.

"Apolyton Civilization Site is a big name in the Civilization community. We're excited to get a leading role in the future of this site," says Plomp. "Daniel Quick has been very important to it, and he'll be sorely missed. We are quite positive that we'll be able to deal with the issues Apolyton is facing these days, and it's our goal to have Apolyton remain an important source for Civ-related information and communication".

"This was not a decision I came to easily, or lightly," Quick says. "I have been a fansite operator in the Civ community for almost 13 years. I have had the honour and privilege of working with so many thoughtful and talented individuals who share a passion for the computer (and now also console) strategy game known as Civilization. I have made associations, connections and friendships that I value very much and look forward to continuing and growing beyond the here and now.

But I know that my stepping aside is in the best interests of Apolyton and myself. It is time for me to make way for Robert and Jeroen who are willing and able to take on the challenges this site faces. I have had the opportunity to speak to them about their intentions and preliminary plans, and am encouraged."

"As we speak we are busy investigating and considering some pretty awesome possibilities for the future," Plomp adds. "Thanks to Dan for all the work he has put into Apolyton, and all the enthusiasm and dedication that has made Apolyton an important source for Civ-related content for a decade!"

Quick and company have served as Apolyton's first Cabinet, the internal name given to the site's administration, since November 2006 (with Solver joining its ranks the following September). Quick co-founded the site with Markos "MarkG" Giannopoulos in July 1998, who left the site's staff earlier this year. Quick has written and posted an open letter to the Apolyton and greater Civilization community on his decision here. ACS has been an independently owned and non-commercial operation since its inception.
    Thanks for all the hard work DanQ

Ming,rah,Solver and Locutus, I thank you, through ups and downs,passions and persistence, you folks have charted ACS through an oft riddled bay of opportunities, to the open waters that lie ahead.

Thanks for allowing me a home to explore the Civin experience I so aptly follow this day, for almost a decade I have been here, and it will allways have a special place in my heart and soul.

Thanks will never be enough, but they are what i have to offer at this point

Brother Bruce
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I'd just like to be the first to criticize the new ownership.

If I need a reason I'll make one up.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Seriously.

Ming may be a bastard, but he's our bastard. This is some weak sauce.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Thanks everyone. Apolyton will always be one of the places I call home.

Jon

Comment

So what happens to the OT? I'm trying to figure out if the "Nazi" approach will be taken to moderation?

If so, where should we all meet up?
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Isn't the poster formerly known as Cybershy one of the God People?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Indeed.

Comment

Oh no.

Comment

From the other Forum:

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    Did you finally tire of us Ming?

Will you be staying on as a moderator?

Questions needing answers. Who's in charge of PR with this new regime?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      So what happens to the OT? I'm trying to figure out if the "Nazi" approach will be taken to moderation?
                      In my discussions with them, they have yet to finalize any real plans or "approaches" at this point in time. Actually, I don't they really know what they want to do with site yet.
                      Hopefully, they will make the changes needed to increase game coverage and traffic. The OTF still represents significant traffic for this site, so I'm sure they will keep that in mind for any decisions they will make.

I hope everybody will give them a chance to see if they can raise Apolyton to a new level.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Everyone deserves a chance, of course. However, my natural optimism is severely tempered by some aspects of this news...

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                          That was my initial thought, also...
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Screw it. I don't love anyone that doesn't love me back.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Jeroen and me are still in the process of making plans and ideas for the future of Apolyton.
                              Jeroen, as an outsider, has some very interesting approaches to online communities and gaming sites and I'm really excited about that.
                              We're also in the process of bringing a new administration together.

It's quite a loss for Apolyton that all of the current administration will lay down their position. Dan, Ming, rah, Locutus and Solver, thanks for all the hard work! Good luck with your new projects and plans! I'm sure that we'll keep in contact!

Robert

http://www.queentube.net/video.php?t...God's%20People
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X