• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ecthelion
    Good point Zoidberg
    Thank you
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

• All that the elimination of post counts in the OT did was move the spam to the on-topic forums. I can easily imagine a couple of funny guys setting up their own, "real", PBEM game, giving themselves a fair number of

"your turn"
      I always suspected that, but never wanted to make the accusation...
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by Rasputin
        he is from OT they never serious
        Oh, quite often the Off-Topic is very serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT

C'mon. The reason why the OT went crazy as you described was when moderatorship was first imposed: the kids weren't used to being controlled online.
          The same was true for all of us (i. e. not being used to moderatorship), not just off-topic posters. Strange that only in off-topic would people go crazy...

The truth is that the off-topic went out of control because people spammed nonsense, not because the site had moderators... Perhaps we're all more mature now, but back then off-topic was a zoo and you know it!

Originally posted by JohnT

"The Bump Thread" and it's like are eliminated by effective moderatorship, not because of post count elimination on the OT.
          This might be true.

All that the elimination of post counts in the OT did was move the spam to the on-topic forums.
          Perhaps this is true, but I imagine it's easier to moderate on-topic fora than an off-topic one.

I can easily imagine a couple of funny guys setting up their own, "real", PBEM game, giving themselves a fair number of

"your turn"

types of +1's.
          C'mon, this is nonsense! This is a site started around Civ 2 and other strategy games like it. Playing and discussing these games is the very reason Apolyton exists...

Let me give you an example. I'm involved in two PBEM games. The first was started in august 1999 and has two threads. The first runs from 03-08-99 to 23-10-01 (that's more than two years!) and contains 120 posts (you read it right!)... Here's the link:

It's continued in this thread, currently containing 78 posts:

Check out how many players these 198 posts are divided among (the players in the game changed quite a lot due to fading interest in the game until we reached the current set of reliable players)... Do you actually believe this was done to increase post counts?!

The second PBEM is found here (first thread contains 129 posts and lasted from 04-12-00 to 28-06-02, that's a year and a half):

Continued here (24 posts; thread lasted only from 29-01-04 to 15-04-04):

That's a total of a whopping 351 posts and we're talking about one thread that was started in august 1999 and one that started in december 2000...

Oh, let me guess... The screenshots from the games are fakes, right?

If this is considered spam or shouldn't be allowed on a site that orbits around turnbased strategy games (and games in general)...

Sorry, but I call BS on your points.
          If you by BS mean b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t, then you disappoint me my Apolyton brother. I thought you were one of the more sophisticated posters over there, but I guess off-topic posting habits die slowly and pop out every now and then...

A year or so ago I posted in the OT forum about googling "Weapons of mass destruction" and some other related things (yes, it was a week after everyone else already knew about it, but still quite funny)...

Second or third reply was "I just googled Carolus Rex and got s-h-i-t-h-e-a-d"...

Read the last line in my post (that you actually quote), where I actually say it's not right if the things you claim are true!

If I were you I would try to change things... Make all the OT posters stay away for a week to lower the revenue and show your importance... Or propose that only people who contribute financially to the site get post counts... Or figure out something else... Lashing out at people only cement old (and current?) views on the OT people...

If you want post counts under current state of affairs, post the pictures of your children in the picture thread...

Carolus
          Last edited by Carolus Rex; June 3, 2005, 12:26.

Comment

• Carlous- I think JohnT was making a joke there (he was being sarcastic)- see his last line ... :worry:
            Last edited by DarkCloud; June 3, 2005, 12:33.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• There are plenty of posters who contribute in both the on and off topic forums, and I have no problem with the fact that my off topic posts do not count. Before all the complaints about the PBEM games and the forum games, came the complaints about the demogames, which still form the vast majority of my ontopic posts.

However, I am sure the very last mafia game has contributed a portion greater than 1.5 percent of my total post count, or 45 posts. I see nothing wrong with rasputin making a 150 posts in a thread with more than 20 times that number of posts.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Edit: in response to DarkCloud.

That has to do with forum games (not PBEM) and I'm not saying he's wrong about them...

AFAIK, BS means b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t... I might be wrong; english isn't my native language (I must admit I was surprised by his harsh tone, and "call BS on something" sounds awkward, so he might mean something else...).

Carolus
                Last edited by Carolus Rex; June 3, 2005, 12:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT

All that the elimination of post counts in the OT did was move the spam to the on-topic forums. I can easily imagine a couple of funny guys setting up their own, "real", PBEM game, giving themselves a fair number of

"your turn"

types of +1's.

As well as the official "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" spam threads ... including this very own forum's picture thread with 3,995 replies since July 2002. Is it not surprising to find that 4 of the 21 Dieties are among the top 6 posters in that thread alone? For Rasputin, that one thread accounts for 1.5% of his entire post count.

Then there are the "Civ-related" hangman games in "Other Games." A well thought-out post on Gorecki's third symphony* isn't worth as much as

Much you say is true, John.

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                    Edit: in response to DarkCloud.

That has to do with forum games (not PBEM) and I'm not saying he's wrong about them...

AFAIK, BS means b-u-l-l-s-h-i-t... I might be wrong; english isn't my native language (I must admit I was surprised by his harsh tone, so he might mean something else...).

Carolus
                    BS can stand for "Bachelor of Science", or I suppose, some other things, but in this context, your interpretation is correct.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• It must suck to put such a long, thoughtout response/rebuttal to a post -- just to find out it was a joke/troll.

Ah...the joys of internet socialization.

*This was not a joke, I really mean this.
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• Is this about to get ugly or did that last beer somehow hurt my abilty to read english?
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

• It sounds to me that JohnT is trying to be serious in his response, as is Carolus, I think the joke reference is specific to "Gorecki's third symphony*" which the asterisk is noted at the bottom of the page for the humourless.

Not sure if I am humourless or just out of the loop but I don't get the joke

Regardless, I would like to see an option to either lock your post count or delete it, I actually find myself worrying about being accused of spam and going back and editing posts that probably warrant a new post (like when I put a reply to someone's response to my post in my original post, must make it confusing for someone reading it latter and i am not sure the original responder would ever see it )

/me the humourless
                          "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

• If it's technically possible one could alway let OT-posts count again but include stats broken down on different forums.

Or include OT-posts as a second category...

nah, I guess that would only add confusion.

But stat broken down on sub-categories *would* be cool.
                            Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

It must suck to put such a long, thoughtout response/rebuttal to a post -- just to find out it was a joke/troll.
                              Heh, heh! I know a troll when I see one...

As Sparrowhawk writes, I'm sure JohnT wrote a serious post about how he feels the OT is being treated (which I responded too). Perhaps he was teasing me in his reply to me, but that's ok.

I think we share the same devotion to Apolyton and discussions can get a little heated sometimes when passion's involved...

Carolus
                              Last edited by Carolus Rex; June 3, 2005, 13:45.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg

Thank you
                                No problem

Comment

Working...
                                X