Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for something different in a Civ style Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do we have to buy it on disk, or will a download come out soon?
    also, do we get it now if we buy the disk?
    EDIT: missed page 2...

Comment

Berenbaum at Activision sarcastically suggested that buying on Ebay was the only way I would get the CTP2 discs.

Truth is, they're harder and harder to get. Activison doesn't have any more apparently, definitely won't make more, so there are few remaining out there. In the end, with AoM, Apolyton Source project, etc., people may end up being unable to find CtP2.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I have a question to ask. Where were all you guys who are complaining about the burning and shipping charge last year when Hexegonian commented that is was not reasonable to expect a modder to burn and ship discs at his own expense?

To clarify again, not everyone can download a 400 MB package. eg, I could not download my own AOM without paying extra on monthly internet account, in which case I might as well get the hard copy.

Also, I had agreed and taken steps for Apolyton to host but was never contacted again despite 2 more emails so I took the punt to go the way I did because I knew not everyone could download. (I have since received an apology for the failure to contact me back). And now taken steps for AOM to host. I did offer at the time a cut down version without the special effects, wonder movies etc but this was rejected as it would loose the atmosphere of AOM.

I am more than happy to send the AOM material at my expense to volunteers in North America, UK, Europe and Asia for them to re-ship the discs to people who want a hard copy or cannot download such a big package. Volunteers please?

The final of AOM is waiting completion of Beta testing in USA and by me. Last game I played 30+ hours without any problems, want one more full test before shipping. Also waiting on possible changes to the source code to take care of a couple of things, mainly my pet hates such as easy access to cheat mode from within the game, and allowing selection of the number of players on gigantic map from setup rather than userprofile.txt. Button access to new menus and messages is implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
          Truth is, they're harder and harder to get. Activison doesn't have any more apparently, definitely won't make more, so there are few remaining out there. In the end, with AoM, Apolyton Source project, etc., people may end up being unable to find CtP2.
          Get out your CtP2 CD and have a good look at the casing. Does it say Activision on there, or maybe something else by any chance, say Xplosiv? Activision doesn't need to make copies of CtP2, as long as budget game publishers such as Xplosiv do so, and they're still selling games a lot older than CtP2...
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

"Truth is, they're harder and harder to get. Activison doesn't have any more apparently, definitely won't make more, so there are few remaining out there. In the end, with AoM, Apolyton Source project, etc., people may end up being unable to find CtP2."

I tracked down a reasonably cheap source of CTP2, after buying 30 copies on Ebay and Amazon just in case. There is a link to it on my Get AOM page. (There are actually 2 links, they are to the same company, in one link they charge more than the other, so check them both). They have quiet a few copies, must have bought them in a liquidation sale. If I was trying to make money out of AOM I would have tried to buy them up in bulk and sat on them.

Also, Xplosive in Uk are, as far as I know, the only people still making the game. But they charge a fair bit for it.

Apolyton also removed a link to the Amazon page recently where CTP2 are offered for sale. There were 2nd hand copies there for as little as $2.00 sometimes.

Finally, my advice is I am not in breach of the EULA on 2 points. I was pretty careful to make sure of that.

Comment

Note:

My neice is a lawyer who lectures in Intellectual property.

Comment

Ahh, Xplosive can release new CDs by themselves? That's good. Gotta see if there's any other copies floating around, by chance.

Comment

Stankarp

You know that the code is still being worked on . A mod of this scope along with the changes in the code ( its a long list now) would make CtP2 by far the best Civ game made to date.
                  Also a finished product like this sent to Activision might make them change their minds. After all getting the code to CtP2 was a major step. Another company did this Paradox for a game called Hearts of Iron . They did a update release called Hearts of Iron Platinum which contained a new mod from was almost remake of the whole game made by fans of the game. I know this is something that is not likely to happen but if Civ3 sold as well as is did having so many problems I think a polished version of Civ is not something anyone will pass up

Comment

I'm pretty sure many people here on Apolyton would love to play a significantly improved version of CtP2... bug, interface and other fixes from source code, balance, AI and gameplay improvements from AoM.... looks positively great. I don't think anything can change minds of Activision though . I think everyone who's there is by now so fed up by CtP2 they're wishing it had never seen the daylight.

Comment

As long as you continue to persue the hosting at Apolyton avenue, I think we all will be happy. As has been said before, to the majority of users 400mb is nothing.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Stan, sorry I didn't reply. I think that address is @$*!'ed, it's not getting anything. I'd love a CD - it sounds impressive.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

"I don't think anything can change minds of Activision though . I think everyone who's there is by now so fed up by CtP2 they're wishing it had never seen the daylight." ; Solver.

Refer to previous comments by me.

CTP2 nearly broke Activision and still has some aggressively active detractors because it was sold unfinished (Go to the Civ 3 forum and say CTP2 and see what happens). The threat of detonating a small nuclear device in Santa Monica is about the only thing I can see changing their minds.

A business plan was put to Activision to develop a sequel at no risk to them but they rejected it, instead wanting a large sum for a commercial license to use the code ($250,000 US). That is one reason why I kept going with AOM, as I thought at one stage they would agree, till I hit the brick wall.

In my negotiations I pointed out to Activision that there was another precedent for what I proposed, the first Cossacks sequel which was basically ONLY Cossacks with a players mod thrown in, which you could get for free anyway. They were not interested, nor impressed when I pointed out at the end of our discussions, that they might owe the gaming community something for the hash they made of the CTP2 release.

Unless you are prepared to pass the hat round and see how much you can collect, I think it is a complete waste of time to even think about a commercial outcome in any way, shape or form. I have already spend nearly $1000 AUD, not counting anything for any time at all, on getting AOM to this stage and my wife is pretty pissed off about it.

Comment

Ben, email me at
                            stankarp@bigpond.com.au with your address.

It would be my pleasure to send you a Disc.

Comment

OK Ben, got the PM, shipping today.

Comment

Cool. Thanks
                                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                                X