No announcement yet.

MLB 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the cubs winning the world series is the greatest sports achievement possible, really

only other thing on my sports wishlist is probably a bears super bowl win, but that wouldn't be historic or anything

and they seem like they're gonna take about 108 years to get there, so **** them
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
      the song is terrible

and when it is played after a win

"hey chicago whattaya say, the cubs ARE GOING (emphasis me) to win today"

not "hey they just did win..."

but no

they're "GONNA" win

****ing retarded
      Sava, you're the one being a bit slow. If you're really going to go grammar nazi on the the lyrics, put it in context.

The team did not start using the song after games until 2007. Blame them.

The Steve Goodman song "Go, Cubs, Go" was written in 1984 at the request of WGN Radio, specifically for use as intro music BEFORE the games (replacing the dated "It's a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame" IIRC). For many years, that was how the tune was used.

Goodman was a successful singer-songwriter (won two Grammies; "City of New Orleans" his biggest hit) and a big Cubs fan, which is how he got the commission to write the tune. Fun fact: Goodman, then 36, was scheduled to sing the national anthem before the first playoff game in 1984. Unfortunately, he died of leukemia a few weeks before. Jimmy Buffett sang it instead, and dedicated it to Goodman.

Ran across this on YouTube: Steve Goodman performing his song, "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request." No one knew it at the time he recorded it, but it was autobiographical. (His leukemia came back after 8 years of remission, and he didn't tell anyone.)

Another fun fact: Goodman's ashes were, in fact, scattered over Wrigley Field.
      Last edited by -Jrabbit; October 24, 2016, 14:34.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Totally correct. I knew Steve Goodman (my oldest brother was a good friend of his and his brother David and I were also good friends all through college) and I doubt he would care if it was changed to "The Cubs have just won today". Don't hate Steve because TV took the song over and put it in wrong place.

Comment

Yeah, that used to annoy me to no end, but after hearing the story, less so.
          And seeing them win more an more, EVEN less.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Cleveland is the large market? They've moved up in the world.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It's a beautiful day for a ball game.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And it didn't turn out so well Sports radio this morning is the doom and gloom that was similar to when the Cubs feel behind 2- 1 to the Dodgers.
                All we really need is a split in the first two games, so it isn't time to panic... yet

Let's hope they can actually get the game in. I like that they moved it up an hour to try to beat the rain... we shall see.
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I guess I listened to a more optimistic group.

But even then, it was a game of inches. Lester got squeezed a touch in the first which could have made a big difference. And the tribe got a few calls. (not making excuses)
                  Those little things can make a big difference overall in the game. And when the top of your lineup goes 0-9 the first three times through, it doesn't help.
                  Or 1 for whatever with RISP and id didn't even score a run. Ya gotta score to win. Tip my hat to the tribe.

Good seeing Kyle swinging. He'll be of help before it's over.
                  Go cubs. Let's hope they beat the rain tonight. If nothing else it gives us a slightly earlier start.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Even with the early start... a 4+ hour game...

But the Cubs did what they had to do. A split in Cleveland and now back to Chicago.
                    Go Cubs Go!
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

6 games or 7?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

However many it takes.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            However many it takes.

Comment

While I'd love to see them win it in Wrigley, i'd settle for ANYWHERE.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Indians fan creates Joe Buck & Kyle Schwarber wedding registry
                                A disgruntled fan took it another level on Thursday afternoon by creating a Bed Bath & Beyond wedding registry for Joe Buck and Kyle Schwarber.

The Cleveland Indians lost 5-1 to the Chicago Cubs in Game 2 of the World Series on Wednesday. Some of the Indians fans were upset about the perceived bias of a

Comment

Working...
                                X