Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Hockey 2012-2013

We doing this again this year?

The pending lockout ****s it up, I know...

But when do we start?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I didn't think they'd put it up, but I guess they did.

I'll activate the league.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm in. Let's hope Bettman is too.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I owndering if we where going to bother with it... I'm in
        Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

I should be good to go, though as usual I'll proabably be out of town for part of the draft, depending on the timing. More to the point, though, how are we handling this whole almost-certainly-going-to-be-a-lockout thingy? I assume we wouldn't have a draft ready to go before the lockout date of September 15, so are we going to proceed even if there is a stoppage and the fantasy league will just run whenever (if ever) the season starts?
          "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
          "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
          "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

In. Hope the league is as well.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki View Post
              I should be good to go, though as usual I'll proabably be out of town for part of the draft, depending on the timing. More to the point, though, how are we handling this whole almost-certainly-going-to-be-a-lockout thingy? I assume we wouldn't have a draft ready to go before the lockout date of September 15, so are we going to proceed even if there is a stoppage and the fantasy league will just run whenever (if ever) the season starts?

I'm thinking we can be relaxed, but have to keep in mind that The Bettman and The Fehr could pull something out at the last minute.

I'd say start the draft around the usual time or a bit later. It's not as if teams and players will disappear, right? Right?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Off topic, but what's everyone's take on the labour situation? I found myself slightly more with the owners last time, but this time I'm almost 100% with the players. The owners clearly "won" the last go-round in terms of getting what they want, and then they royal f**ked themselves over. And from what I've read about the players' proposal, it basically calls the owners' bluff that they really care about the long-term viability of all the teams.
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

I think revenue sharing should be a bigger piece of league revenue, but that the players at 57% is way, way too much. There are also things deemed to be hockey related revenue that don't seem right.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

I'm in again this year if they salvage the season

Comment

Appropriate title.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Off topic, but what's everyone's take on the labour situation? I found myself slightly more with the owners last time, but this time I'm almost 100% with the players. The owners clearly "won" the last go-round in terms of getting what they want, and then they royal f**ked themselves over. And from what I've read about the players' proposal, it basically calls the owners' bluff that they really care about the long-term viability of all the teams.

I am having a heck of a time finding ANY sympathy with either of them

The owners won last time, got the deal they wanted and are now saying its not good enough... they seem to want protection from themselves as it is these same owners that did the signing Parise, Weber, Kane, Wideman etc etc signings.. they bid up the salaries and then say they need to take it back ????

The players?? My understanding is that the other three leagues share something like 50% of revenue with players. NHL players get 57% and now the NHL is offering 49% which seems in the ballpark. Its hard to imagine any reason why hockey players would get a greater proportion than the other leagues. Also the fact that players are starting to jump to Europe within days... hard to sympathyze... it would look better if they stuck around for a bit

I just dont see how in the long run though, that the owners dont get what they want. They are often billionares where hockey is not a main income earner. There isn't the same money elsewhere ( some huge splashy KHL numbers notwithstanding
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                          I just dont see how in the long run though, that the owners dont get what they want. They are often billionares where hockey is not a main income earner. There isn't the same money elsewhere ( some huge splashy KHL numbers notwithstanding

Indeed. A majority of owners are likely better off financially if they don't play under the 57% requirement. They lose less if the puck is not dropped.

As an added dimension, the NHL came back stronger after the last full season lost. ie, their businesses were not damaged, but were increased in value.

Add it up and you get to the point where the game will start when the players accept 50-50, and not a moment sooner. Based on what I know, the owners won't back down.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

I agree the 57% figure seems high, and it may well be. But again, this is what the owners wanted the last time around and as Flubber points out, they've been bidding up salaries right to the last second before the lockout. Also, the NHL doesn't have nearly the TV contracts the other major leagues do, so I think this skews the numbers somewhat.

Don't get me wrong - I dont' think the players are hurting at all or deserve more money. I just can't stand the hypocrisy of the owners when they got what they wanted last time ostensibly in large part to help smaller market teams and now they say that the model they are almost entirely responsible for building is a bad deal.

Comment

Admittedly, hockey players are asking for 57% of a much smaller pie. 50% of NFL revenues are mindbogglingly high, even with larger teams; the lack of a good TV contract really hurts them. Add to that the fact that hockey players have a lot more health risk than anyone outside of NFL, and they probably feel that they deserve more.

Frankly NHL needs to get on ESPN regularly. Take less money from them, pay them to show NHL games in decent timeslots, whatever. That's the key to growing revenue, not being on VERSUS or whatever.
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X