NFL Football - 2012 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    I hope you are still showing the same confidence next week when Brady is home watching the AFC Championship game MtG!
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Well, I've see this show before from Wade Phillips. *sigh*.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Phillips is in good company. Lots of DCs and head coaches have failed to stop the Patriots from December on.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Wade Phillips is very good on Defense. He needs to stay there.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Phillips is in good company. Lots of DCs and head coaches have failed to stop the Patriots from December on.
            Did the same with the Bolts back in 2006. The more things change, the more they stay the same. *sigh*. Too many reminders of the Marty game.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
              Phillips is in good company. Lots of DCs and head coaches have failed to stop the Patriots from December on.

"Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Anyone catch what Skip had to say on First Take today about the Denver Broncos? I didn't so I would love to know.

Also,

Last edited by Al B. Sure!; January 14, 2013, 22:43.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• You are so strange.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Yes. The Giants won. Twice. That doesn't have much affect on the Patriot's overall record from December 1 on for the last 11 years and counting. The Giants didn't make the playoffs this year, either. Oh, neither did Philly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      Oh but his completion percentage stinks!

Well let's think outside of the box. Why does completion % matter? Because it means you're getting net positive plays with every completed pass. What about a run for a gain? Is a 7 yard run different from a 7 yard completion to the outcome of a game? No. Not at all.

What if we treated every Tebow run as a completion? Before you scoff, again, what is the difference between a 7 yard run and a 7 yard completed pass to the outcome of a game?

Marking every run as a completion, Tebow is 342/555 in his only 16 starts, a 61.6% rate.

A QB doesn't HAVE to be a primary passer. His job is to call the signals and direct the offense! That's it. There was a time when every NFL QB was barely distinguishable from a HB or FB. QB's were just as much 'backs.

Get out of the post-Walsh, post-Coryell mindset. It is possible to be a run-first QB. Every rushing yard counts the same as every passing yard.
                      Did you ever play football past Pop Warner? The difference between a 7 yard run and a 7 yard pass is EVERYTHING at the pro level. A 7 yard pass is typically an out pattern or may be to a TE or RB. It may be the intended play, e.g. a sideline pass to get OB and stop the clock in a two-minute offense, or it may be an outlet if your deep or slot receivers are not open. Either way, it can be all over the field with deeper threats, and forces the defense to read and react, and if you have deep threats you can actually reach (e.g. you are not Tebow), you spread the defense. If all you've got is the running game in current NFL football, you will get stuffed.

Completion % matters because you are forcing the defense to react to multiple potential threats all over the field and you are taking defensive options off the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Fact is, all you heard last year was the defense and Matt Prater carried Tebow. Somehow even though he was winning games and had a 300 yard passing day in a playoff victory, it wasn't him; it was the defense and Matt Prater.
                        Tebow had two in his career. Peyton Manning has had 80, including 8 in the playoffs. NEXT!

Meanwhile Peyton Manning has an improved WR (Decker and Thomas were among the worst WR's in dropping balls last year since they were so raw) and TE corps, an even better defense, and in the playoff game, gets TWO special teams scores, and still can't get it done; no, in fact, he loses because he does precisely what Tebow doesn't do: throw interceptions.
                        Manning was out of the game for how long with what kind of injuries? Tebow can't throw a catchable ball (by anybody) downfield, and his receivers dropping balls were at least in part because of bad throws.

I love how Tebow haters say a Tebow-led team can't put up points like they didn't drop 38 on Oakland, 35 on Minnesota, and 29 on Pittsburgh. Only one of those touchdowns was from defense/special teams. The rest was all offense.
                        The Vikings? The 2011 Vikings is one of your prime examples of Tebow's offensive prowess? LMFAO. The 3-13 Vikings who gave up 449 PA? The Steelers were banged up and didn't make the playoffs this year. Oakland? Are you serious again? Oakland sucked, like they have for years.

Tebow haters don't have a leg to stand on. He's started 16 games and gone 9-7. He's racked up over 3600 yards in those games and between his starts and spot duty, has scored 32 touchdowns with only 7 picks. (26 touchdowns in his 16 starts).

A QB passes for 3600 yards and 26 passing touchdowns with 7 interceptions and we say he had a very good year.
                        And the people who do this for a living, even those with ****ty QBs, who have access to more Tebow analysis and footage than any of us, all seem to think he's not worth bothering with. Perhaps they know something you don't? Or perhaps you should be an NFL GM or DPP now?
                        Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; January 15, 2013, 18:15.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat View Post
                          If all you've got is the running game in current NFL football, you will get stuffed.
                          You need to qualify that statement, sir. "If all you've got is the running game in current NFL football, unless you have Adrian Peterson, you will get stuffed

Checkout the latest stats for Adrian Peterson. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, college, draft, and more on Pro-football-reference.com.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• And the people who do this for a living, even those with ****ty QBs, who have access to more Tebow analysis and footage than any of us, all seem to think he's not worth bothering with. Perhaps they know something you don't? Or perhaps you should be an NFL GM or DPP now?
                            To be fair, there are days I wonder if I should be one given some of the decisions out there... but probably not because of this one. Tebow, like Miami's Wildcat, was never going to be effective once enough tape existed for people to figure out how to stop him.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Bears HC position down to Arians, Bevell and Trestman.

I, personally, would like to get Trestman. Bevell would be my second choice of the three, but I don't think I would be upset with any of them.
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Chargers pick up McCoy. Happy they didn't take Lovie. Now, they just have to hire the OC and they should be set.

Comment

Working...
                                X