Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Couldn't be more wrong about that JR.

Picking one spot behind the ideal draft, is the absolute worst place to be. I'd have been better off with the end draft than the beginning draft.

I prefer drafting the ends, I've had considerable success with it. Didn't like the two seed, and mentioned that during the draft. Had a lot of folks that I wanted go a few picks in front of me.
    Oh please. Those "folks you wanted" would have been just as gone if you drafted first.

I tend to like the ends as well, but in my mind that includes the 1-2-3 and 8-9-10 (or 10-11-12 as the case might be) slots. Personally, I'm a big proponent of the #2 position (either 2nd or 2nd from last), but I've only had that slot a couple times.

The draft is about adapting your strategy and tactics to the situation. My philosophy is that for any given draft order, in any given year, there's a winning strategy. And with 14 playoff (top-4) teams out of 22 Yahoo leagues played over 9 years (15/23 if you count 2012 Auction League, which is draft-neutral), I think I can make a pretty solid case for that.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Alby, you should keep quiet. The team in your city is such crap that you cheer a crap team in another city.
      You're not even a slut, you're a brain-dead crack whore.

Ditka: Bears firing Smith is 'ridiculous'

Legendary Chicago Bears coach Mike Ditka called coach Lovie Smith's firing "ridiculous" after the team's 10-6 season.

Talking with WBBM-TV on Monday night, Ditka pointed out that if the Green Bay Packers had won, the Bears would have made the playoffs and Smith probably would have kept his job.

"You find out as you get through life if you're a coach there's a good chance some day you might be fired, and there's no loyalty," Ditka said.

The former Bears coach, who was fired by the organization after the 1992 season, famously saying "This, too, shall pass" after his dismissal, said Smith easily will find another NFL head-coaching gig.

Smith was fired Monday after his team failed to make the playoffs after a 7-1 start, marking the second consecutive season in which the Bears suffered a major second-half collapse.

While Ditka blasted the decision, he said the Bears have the right to do what they deem is in their best interest.

"The people who own the ball and bat -- they've got a right to call the game," Ditka said. "So, if they want to fire someone, they fire them."
      Mike Ditka doesn't agree with the Chicago Bears' decision to change coaches. In fact, Ditka went as far as to call Lovie Smith's firing "ridiculous."
      Last edited by SlowwHand; January 2, 2013, 02:18.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Oh please. Those "folks you wanted" would have been just as gone if you drafted first.
        Bresus?

Going Bresus/SJax/Gore/Witten would have been the ideal result.

I tend to like the ends as well, but in my mind that includes the 1-2-3 and 8-9-10 (or 10-11-12 as the case might be) slots. Personally, I'm a big proponent of the #2 position (either 2nd or 2nd from last), but I've only had that slot a couple times.
        Well, then, swap with me, and run the numbers. I have. The numbers show that levelling out the draft, and inserting your picks into it - the worst performing slot is 2. Of course, that assumes that I pick at the same level as everyone else, which seems like the proper assumption to make when asserting this.

The draft is about adapting your strategy and tactics to the situation. My philosophy is that for any given draft order, in any given year, there's a winning strategy. And with 14 playoff (top-4) teams out of 22 Yahoo leagues played over 9 years (15/23 if you count 2012 Auction League, which is draft-neutral), I think I can make a pretty solid case for that.
        Actually, if you run the numbers in that draft - nobody can match yours even with ideal selections. So yeah, there were no winning positions after about pick 9. I'm not finished, maybe I find a combination that works. This is why your complaining is so laughable - you don't even understand what you just did.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I never heard of Leslie O'Neal before you brought him up and I see now that he was a hell of a player.
          Then I consider myself vindicated.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Going Bresus/SJax/Gore/Witten would have been the ideal result.

Well, then, swap with me, and run the numbers. I have. The numbers show that levelling out the draft, and inserting your picks into it - the worst performing slot is 2.
            That's just bull****. It doesn't even require analysis. If we swap spots, and assuming you would have taken Brees, plus the "ideal" picks you listed, my team simply substitutes Aaron Rodgers (-28 total pts) in the first round and is otherwise EXACTLY THE SAME drafting from the 2 slot.

Hey, believe what you want. Keep blaming your bad season on drafting second. Whatever gets you through the night.

But let's move it back to the FF thread.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Hmmm so drafting 2nd sucks?????? I drafted 2nd in my fantasy league, and had the best record. I guess you just didn't know how to make the right picks...

In most drafts I've seen, it matters more on the person that is drafting than it does on the actual draft order. Smart fantasy players can win from any draft position.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Take it to the fantasy thread, please .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Where's the playoff picks thread?
                  And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

• That's just bull****. It doesn't even require analysis. If we swap spots, and assuming you would have taken Brees, plus the "ideal" picks you listed, my team simply substitutes Aaron Rodgers (-28 total pts) in the first round and is otherwise EXACTLY THE SAME drafting from the 2 slot.
                    Ok - now try it with you keeping your first nine picks as is. Find a comparable team that could be drafted that slots up with yours in the 2 spot. Can't be done. You won this entire league the first 3 days, something I don't think anybody has done before. Different picks would have made me a better team - but I still wouldn't have won.

Hey, believe what you want. Keep blaming your bad season on drafting second. Whatever gets you through the night.
                    Hrm? I blame my bad season on Fitz stinking up the joint with PR and about -3 wins of luck. White + Manning would have made a .500 team. Roll my squad out in luck balanced league and I have 4 wins instead of 1.

Comment

• In most drafts I've seen, it matters more on the person that is drafting than it does on the actual draft order. Smart fantasy players can win from any draft position.
                      Then sign up for IDP next year. All hat no cattle.

Comment

• One more time:

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Take it to the fantasy thread, please .
                        I may not do all that much around here, but I can still give a 24 hr ban if I want.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• And he has one leg of his jeans inside his boot and the other outside. Poor bastard doesn't know if he's buying or selling.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Looks like Andy Reid will re-unite with Kevin Kolb in Arizona.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Hey, so far Kolb's team is 2-0 for a better record than Vick's team.

Comment

Hey, so far Kolb's team is 2-0 for a better record than Vick's team.
                                What?
                                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                                X