IDP Rules Amendment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDP Rules Amendment

Since JR screwed up applying his own BAPAY rules, I think it's time they were reworded more clearly. I find the way that they are written is confusing and not clear, and makes quite a few assumptions that matter in selecting bapays that aren't explicitly stated. But 'everyone knows it works this way'. Actually, no JR. People don't know it works this way, when even you mess it up.

So let's see:

As worded at present:

The BAPAY victim will be assigned the top available player at Yahoo at a position of need, using the "Actual" filter for offense and the "Fantasy Points" filter for defense. Position of need will be decided according to the following priority list. Try to pay attention to Bye week issues, especially for QB and TE. However, this is not a strict requirement.

PRIORITY LIST BY POSITION
    1. Offensive starter, skill position (QB, RB, WR, TE) -- includes 5 total RB/WR
    2. Defensive starter, any position: 2-DBs, 2-LBs, 1-DL
    3. Backup skill position, in this order: RB3 - WR3 - RB4 - WR4
    4. QB2 (Bye alert)
    5. TE2 (Bye alert)
    6. RB5/WR5
    7. QB3
    8. DEF6
    9) Kicker

Thus, for our 22-round draft, an all-BAPAY team would be assigned, in order, as follows:

Round/Position
    1-7) Offensive skill positions (2-ea RB and WR, 1-each QB, W/R and TE), by Actual
    8-12) DL1, LB1/2, DB1/2, by Fantasy Points (Really, JR? DL first? WTF?)
    13-15) WR - RB until team has 4 of each
    16) QB2
    17) TE2
    18-19) RB5/WR5
    20) QB3
    21) DEF6 (any position)
    22) Kicker

This procedure (used successfully last year) makes the BAPAY process reasonably fair for the victim yet easy to administer for any league member.
    Proposed amendment:

The BAPAY victim will be assigned the top available player at Yahoo at a position of need, using the "Actual" filter for offense and the"Fantasy Points" filter for defense. Position of need will be decided according to the following priority list. Try to pay attention to Bye week issues, especially for QB and TE. Kickers are always lowest priority.

1. Offensive starter, (NO PRIORITY) Fill starting offense before filling starting defense
    2. Defensive starter, (NO PRIORITY) Fill starting defense before filling backup offense
    3. Offensive backup, (RB3/WR3, RB4, WR4)
    4. QB2 (Bye alert)
    5. TE2 (Bye alert)
    6. RB5/WR5
    7. QB3
    8. DEF6
    9) Kicker

Thus, for our 22-round draft, an all-BAPAY team would be assigned, in order, as follows:

Round/Position
    1-7) Offensive starter positions (NO PRIORITY) Draft the highest Actual Filter Offensive Starter
    8-12) Defensive starter positions (NO PRIORITY) Draft the highest Fantasy Point Defensive Starter
    13-15) Offensive backup positions (RB/WR3, RB4, WR4)
    16) QB2
    17) TE2
    18-19) RB5,WR5
    20) QB3
    21) DEF6 (any position)
    22) Kicker

This procedure makes the BAPAY process reasonably fair for the victim yet easy to administer for any league member.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 19, 2011, 12:51.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Pros:

Superfluous, confusing information removed. Since order of defensive players is irrelevent, defensive players are now listed as (no priority), rather then by DL first so that there's no distinction made between LB/DB/DL. The list no longer lists them in two different fashions that are contradictory with one another. List now has proper parallelism. Various formatting fixes to make things clearer.

Anyways, there you go. As applied, the rules are no different then what we use now, just worded in a different fashion that's clearer then how they were used before.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The rules are clear as written. If you can't follow them, don't bother trying to be helpful and let someone else do it. Also, the **** that you wrote now assigns a position priority to offense starters where there doesn't need to be.

Now shut the **** up and go play with Asher.
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Also, the **** that you wrote now assigns a position priority to offense starters where there doesn't need to be.
        JR's rules as written, assigns this priority already. Of course, it's never done 'as written'. People just do it how they think JR wants it. Which is bad.

Comment

Offensive starter by actual is not a position priority.

Comment

We will not be changing the rules in the middle of the draft.

Since JR screwed up applying his own BAPAY rules,
            Ben Kenobi, you are an ass.

I made an honest mistake and admitted it. It had nothing to do with the rules or how they are written. In fact, I applied the rule correctly, but used the wrong Yahoo league. You, OTOH, didn't even apply the rule in the way you claim to have interpreted it. And you damn well know it.

Make that: You are a disingenuous ass.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Right now, there's 1,2,3,4,5,6 QB's listed on top of offensive starter by actual.

Yeah, there's a position priority.

Comment

I made an honest mistake and admitted it.
                So did I. I made a honest mistake and you accused me of trying to bend the rules? WTF? C'mon JR.

It had nothing to do with the rules or how they are written. In fact, I applied the rule correctly, but used the wrong Yahoo league.
                So you didn't use the correct filter in the correct league. That's a big mistake. Yeah you screwed up, so did I.

You, OTOH, didn't even apply the rule in the way you claim to have interpreted it. And you damn well know it.
                I said that. I then realized looking back THAT THE RULES DIDN'T ACTUALLY STATE what you said. So I want to damn well fix it so that the rules do state what you said.

Comment

We will not be changing the rules in the middle of the draft.
                  Well sure. But the rules should be changed so that they state how you are applying them. Right now they don't. Right now, we aren't actually going by the rules as written.

All these changes would do is reflect WHAT IS ACTUALLY GOING ON. So some poor sap can actually apply the rules correctly without getting JR accusing them of trying to break the draft.

Comment

Ok, if that's how JR wants things to work, then let's do that, but that's a functional change from what the rules at present say.

Comment

No, it isn't.

Comment

No, it isn't.
                        The rules at present list a priority, QB1, RB1, WR1, TE1.

Comment

1. Offensive starter, skill position (QB, RB, WR, TE) -- includes 5 total RB/WR
                          This isn't very clear. Does it mean:

QB1, RB1, WR1, TE1, RB2, WR2, Flex?

QB1, RB1, WR1, RB2, WR2, TE1, Flex?

QB1, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, Flex, TE1?

My Change:

1. Offensive starter, (NO PRIORITY)
                          So now, it actually selects the highest listed player by Actual. Then it fills by starter position until all the starters are filled.

Comment

"Offensive starter" means just that. The positions are listed for those that may not be aware which positions are offensive and which are defensive.

Comment

Exactly so, CW.

THERE IS NO ORDER. The parenthetical listing is -- as I patiently explained in a PM late last night -- a list of the positions involved, and nothing more. Basically, it's just to prevent someone from deciding that Kicker is an offensive position and assigning one early. The fact the Flex isn't listed would, to a person with even a modicum of comprehension skills, be ample evidence of that.

One cannot predict what positions will have already been taken; one cannot predict what position of need will have the highest Actual listing. If the BAPAY victim needs more than one offensive starter, they get the player that is higher on the Actual list, regardless of which needed position that might be. THAT'S WHY THERE'S NO STRICT LISTING OF POSITIONAL PRIORITY in the first two categories.

No should there be. Nor will there be.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X