Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas jumped ship to the SEC, and that worked out just REAL well for them.

Arkansas makes more TV money than any Big 12 school does. Their move to the SEC worked out great for them.

Nebraska will make even more than Arkansas once it ramps up to a full share of Big Ten Network revenues.

Toodle-loo, rivalry with Oklahoma.

The Big 12 already killed the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry. Nebraska had no important rivalries to lose.

I sincerely doubt Nebraska will have trouble filling the stadium in the foreseeable future.

I doubt Nebraska will ever have trouble filling Memorial Stadium. We've played a lot of crappy teams since 1962, but they've never failed to sell out.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• What about bringing in TCU, Slowwy? TCU is a better team than Nebraska anyways.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Texas won't let TCU in. It sounds like BYU and Air Force have the best chance of joining the Big 12.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Abilene Christian!

Murray State!!

Austin Peay!!!

Oral Roberts!!!!
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            Arkansas jumped ship to the SEC, and that worked out just REAL well for them.

Arkansas makes more TV money than any Big 12 school does. Their move to the SEC worked out great for them.

Nebraska will make even more than Arkansas once it ramps up to a full share of Big Ten Network revenues.

Toodle-loo, rivalry with Oklahoma.

The Big 12 already killed the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry. Nebraska had no important rivalries to lose.

I sincerely doubt Nebraska will have trouble filling the stadium in the foreseeable future.

I doubt Nebraska will ever have trouble filling Memorial Stadium. We've played a lot of crappy teams since 1962, but they've never failed to sell out.
            Arkansas didn't make out fine, and Arkansas isn't Nebraska.
            The Big 12 killed the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry? I don't think so.

Tell me about your crowds for the games that I already pointed out.
            When you come back and tell me that you filled the stadium on all your Home games, I can call you a liar.

I don't think Texas would have a problem with TCU coming back into the fold. That's not your worry anyway, outsider.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Arkansas didn't make out fine

Yes, they did. More than fine, actually.

The Big 12 killed the Nebraska/Oklahoma rivalry? I don't think so.

Yes, it did. The rivalry died once Nebraska and Oklahoma only played each other two years out of every four.

Tell me about your crowds for the games that I already pointed out.
              When you come back and tell me that you filled the stadium on all your Home games, I can call you a liar.

Nebraska has sold out for 304 consecutive home games, a streak that started in 1962. Memorial Stadium will be full for every game against Purdue, I promise you.

I don't think Texas would have a problem with TCU coming back into the fold.

Of course they would. TCU doesn't bring a new TV market along with it, which means less money for Texas.

I look forward to refuting your next post full of idiotic statements.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Keep working on this last one. TCU most certainly does bring another market. You wouldn't know that, being in Nebraska. Four high schools and one university.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Keep working on this last one. TCU most certainly does bring another market.

No, it doesn't; Dallas/Fort Worth is already amply covered by Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas Tech. Adding TCU to the Big 12 adds absolutely no value to the conference's TV package.

Any more stupidity you'd like to inflict on us?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Idiot. Some people would rather watch TCU in Ft. Worth rather than Texas in Austin, speaking as a Dallas resident. Don't even talk to me about it. Trying to tell me about my own state. Just drag your wuss team out of the picture. It's none of your concern anymore.

You've been running your head for months about the ultimate demise of the Big 12 and I told you it wouldn't happen.
                    I have to admit, they managed to make me wonder. The fact remains, I was right and you can kiss my ass.

Comment

• Idiot. Some people would rather watch TCU in Ft. Worth rather than Texas in Austin, speaking as a Dallas resident.

That doesn't matter; Texas alone already delivers Dallas/Fort Worth for TV purposes. Why don't you learn how television networks treat TV markets when bidding for the rights to broadcast athletic conference games and then get back to us?

You've been running your head for months about the ultimate demise of the Big 12 and I told you it wouldn't happen.

I admit that I was wrong. I thought that teams in the Big 12 other than Texas and Nebraska had brains and/or balls. That turned out to not be the case.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• This sounds about right...

Some reactions to the latest developments in conference realignment:

I. WINNERS

Nebraska – More than doubling your TV money, raising the academic profile of the university overall and not having the Austin bogey-man anymore in the shotgun reconciliation of the Big 12-ish? Not bad.

Big Ten – A week ago, we were wondering if Jim Delany might have gotten played by Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott and Delany protege Kevin Weiberg. As it stands now, though, the Big Ten is the only conference that is clearly stronger than before by adding one of the top 10 programs of all-time and the formation of a lucrative conference championship game. With the apparent new TV money getting thrown at the Big 12, one could only imagine the type of increase that the Big Ten is going to garner with another marquee school in the fold. Now, I do believe that it’s going to be necessary for the Big Ten to address shifting population trends in the long-term (whether it’s going to the East Coast or after some Southern-based schools), but if we stay at 12 with just Nebraska for awhile, I believe most Big Ten partisans are going to be perfectly fine with that.

Texas – I’ll be honest: I severely underestimated the need for Texas to have control as opposed to sheer money (although they go hand-in-hand). Sure, lots of Big 12 partisans have complained about the Texas control for years, but I always thought it was overstated and that the “control” really came in the form of simply TV revenue. Well, it appears that they really do love control over everything else since they just turned down a spectacular opportunity to effectively bring all of its rivals to a more stable and prestigious conference with larger markets in the Pac-10 in order to save the Big 12-ish. As I noted in the “Underrated Players in Conference Realignment” post a few weeks ago, the Longhorn Sports Network turned out to be critical. Why the heck Texas still believes that a solo sports network will be better off in the long-term compared to a share in the Big Ten Network or what would’ve been created in the Pac-10 is beyond me, but DeLoss Dodds is going to get his chance to create his baby. Regardless, Texas got what it wanted: more control over its own conference and expanded local TV rights, which translates into more revenue across-the-board. Like the Big Ten, though, this is only a temporary win for Texas. The way that the Big 12-ish got a reprieve isn’t exactly a harbinger of conference stability, so we might be going through this process again with the Longhorns in 5 years or so.

Some reactions to the latest developments in conference realignment: I.  WINNERS Nebraska – More than doubling your TV money, raising the academic profile of the university overall and not ha…

The two smartest schools in the Big 12 are the only ones who came out ahead in this cluster****. Natural selection...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Arkansas moving to the SEC has worked over very well, thank you very much. Best thing Frank Broyles ever did, and if Anne Richards and the Texas legislature wouldn't have stuck their nose into the issue, Texas and A&M probably could have moved at the same time to the SEC.

Broyles also made comment that Ark was never going to be included in the Big 12 as those discussions were happening around the same time as the Hogs move to the SEC.

Revenue sharing in the SEC is equal, unlike the new Big 12 (or Texas and the little 9). This year, it is a little over 17 million to each school, it was over 11 million for 2009.

The SWC in the late 80s was a nightmare, only 3 schools did not have sanctions against them in the 80s, and attendance at most games across the conference were going down, not up.

Sure, the Hogs rivalries are not as big in the SEC and the games against UT and A&M were, but now every conference game is big, week in and week out, plus they have another 9 years at Jerryworld with A&M, and I think they will play UT again in the next couple of years.

Comment

• The Conference just DOUBLED the ENTIRE Conferences' TV Revenue AND . . . Colorado and Nebraska have to pay exit fees of 2 mil each (which is split among the Universities remaining in the Conference).
                            Big 12 gets rid of some dead wood.

Comment

• The dead wood is glad to be gotten rid of.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Win-win
                                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                                X