Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Football '10 - Conference switching chaos!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
    I would bet on Lucas Oil, although I'm not psyched about going to Indy after my road trip. Maybe they'll rotate the site? Now that it looks like Texas won't be joining the Big Ten, I guess we don't have to worry about it being permanently in JerryWorld...
    Nebraskans have such deeply ingrained inferiority complexes, just like I said.
    It wasn't Jones that caused it. You people were pouting all on your own. Nothing suited you. Good riddance.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; June 12, 2010, 01:03.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Good riddance.

Yep. Nebraska couldn't be going to a better conference.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Big 10 sucks. So does Pac 10, but oh well. Road games will suck.

UT, Texas Tech, OU and OSU are planning to exit to the expanding Pacific-10 conference next week, multiple sources familiar with the process confirmed Friday.
        Find breaking news, investigations, reviews and opinion on business, sports, arts, entertainment, food, real estate, crime and more at dallasnews.com.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• The Big Ten is the best BCS conference in the country from a financial and academic standpoint. Texas is also fortunate enough to have a chance to join, but they care too much about being the most powerful school in whatever conference they're in, which they have no hope of being in the Big Ten. As such, they'd rather join a lesser conference like the Pac-10 with a bunch of their lackeys and try to take it over. That's fine, but building a Pac-16 into a conference that can compete with the Big Ten and SEC is no small task and could easily fail just as the Big 12 has.

I think most Nebraska fans are completely happy with joining the Big Ten. Perlman and Osborne just assured that Nebraska has the best destination of any Big 12 school.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm the same way with Baylor. And Minnesota, quite frankly.
            It helps that we have the Little Brown Jug to play for (college football's oldest rivalry trophy), but yeah, Minnesota hasn't done **** in decades. Now, back in the day, they were a true power, have some national titles to their credit; same can't be said of Baylor.

All this talk of 1997 and Baylor and Colorado reminds me of something.

Our first home game in the fabled 1997 season was against #8 Colorado (way way way overranked, as it turned out), a team that had, two years previously, beaten us on that famous 75-yard Kordell Stewart hail mary. They were favored by about a touchdown or so.

We ****ing destroyed them, 27-3. It was an epic beatdown. There was a Colorado student sitting in the row behind me, and he looked like he wanted to jump off the top row of the stadium. Our next opponent was Baylor. They asked Baylor's head coach what he did after watching the Colorado game tape:

"First, I cried. Then, I threw up."

Eventual final score: Wolverines 38, Bears 3.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The Big Ten is the best BCS conference in the country from a financial and academic standpoint.
              QFT.

Well, finances may be up for debate, depending on the SEC's TV deals, but academically, no contest. The ACC and Pac-10 may match us at the very top, but no one is our equal top to bottom. Texas would have fit in very, very well; A&M as well. Too bad.

Comment

• Now, back in the day, they were a true power, have some national titles to their credit;

Tied with Nebraska and Ohio State for most in the Big Ten at four, according to the Big Ten Network. Of course, they screwed Nebraska out of their share of the 1997 title by only counting AP titles since 1936, but being tied for first isn't really something to complain about.

Texas would have fit in very, very well; A&M as well. Too bad.

There's still a tiny glimmer of hope that they'll come to their senses. The Pac-16 is far from a done deal.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Right. I admire Nebraska's willingness to take on such traditional football powerhouses like Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Right. I admire Nebraska's willingness to take on such traditional football powerhouses like Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern. Good luck.
                    Dude. Seriously?

They now have to deal with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State, three of the top ten winningest programs of all time.

If Texas goes to the Pac-10, they'll only be adding USC in that group.

In addition, they'll have to deal with next-tier traditional and current powers Iowa and Wisconsin; only Oregon would fit into that picture.

Nebraska is definitely moving to the tougher conference, both historically and currently.

Comment

• There's no need to be butt hurt because Nebraska called Texas' bluff and escaped to greener pastures, Sloww. The Longhorns will be alright, even after the Pac-16 collapses like the Big 12 and SWC. Hell, maybe we'll finally see ya'll in the Big Ten when that happens.

Nebraska is definitely moving to the tougher conference, both historically and currently.

QFT

The Big 12 might have been slightly tougher at the top over the past five years with Texas and Oklahoma both playing at a high level, but the Big Ten is definitely deeper with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and now Nebraska. Hopefully Pelini will have our team ready to compete in 2011, as I sure as hell don't want Iowa to have the bragging rights of beating us in our first Big Ten showdown with them.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I'm not thrilled about the Pac 10. Just wait until the Big 10 gets a constant barrage of Nebraska whining.

And again, it's y'all. Incapable of learning? Typical of Nebraska.

Comment

• While looking up the AP national titles on Wikipedia, gobsmacked by Drake's assertion a few posts above, I learned a way-cool, and utterly-meaningless fact:

Michigan, in spite of their laughable offense the last two seasons, holds the longest current streak of not being shut out, last going scoreless against Iowa in 1984 (298 games).

Comment

• Just wait until the Big 10 gets a constant barrage of Nebraska whining.

Why would we whine? None of the things we complained about in the Big 12 are relevant in the Big Ten. It's their conference and we're joining, not our conference being taken over by Texas. We'll be gaining new rivalries with Iowa and Penn State, not losing our rivalry with Oklahoma. The conference title game is going to be played in some central location, not in Dallas every year. And everyone is treated equally in the Big Ten.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Where'd that DP come from?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• I'd also like to point out that of the quartet of teams Sloww pointed to to prove the Big Ten's weakness, three of the four (yes, even Minnesota) have had some degree of success in the past decade, including BCS appearances by Illinois, and multiple bowl appearances by both Northwestern and Minnesota, as well as a few 8 and 9-win seasons for the Wildcats.

Nothing that Iowa State, or Baylor, or even Colorado can aspire to in the past decade matches up. Even K-State's success early in the decade is roughly equivalent to the occasional out-of-nowhere teams from Illinois.

Comment

Working...
                                X