This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    Well, I told you all to check out the stat categories and tell me to fix them if they were broken. It's not fixable now...
    MY 3 goalie team now somehow seems a little stronger
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I was just looking at the schedule and although this is a long week in duration, its actually pretty short in numbers of games played. So not much will be that decided until Saturday.

I am also finding it a hoot to organize two teams-- I find I am always considering tweaks to my "draft" team while my auction team is status quo so far. I don't know if thats because an 8 manager league means you are nowhere as deep into the marginal guys as a 14 manager league or if the fact that you could bid on anyone means you are more into your selections (as opposed to taking somebody you don't like because they are of a certain level and all the people you really like are gone)
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm making a lot of changes in all of my leagues. I hate this staggered season start ****.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher

Warrener and Eriksson have been put on waivers again. If they clear they will go to the AHL where the Flames still have to pay their salaries but it gets subtracted from their salary cap calculation

Other clubs have up until 10 a.m. today to make claims. I wonder will anyone bite? Eriksson did play pretty regularly last year for a playoff club so it wouldn't shock me if someone decided their defensive depth could use another guy. Warrener? Looked too hurt all last year . . . Someone could take a chance--- But both are now "depth" defencemen in their 30s-- I figure most clubs want to fill those spots with their young guys to look to the future and for salary cap reasons

Thats probably the reality of the salary cap--

Comment

My capsule look at the NW

Flames-- Better up front, D is at least as good as last year (better if Giordano emerges)- The Flames should lead the division but there is a question in goal. Kipper was not great last year and has not looked good in preseason. If he struggles he could bring down the rest of the team-- If he rebounds to the good/great Kipper of the past, this team could take the division pretty clearly.

Oilers-- Young core is mostly back and they should be IN a playoff spot if Garon plays anywhere near what he did last year. No team can get decimated by uinjuries two years in a row can they?

Canucks-- A bit of an enigma right now. With the players they lost compared to last season they should be a substantially weaker team. But a strong pre-season, with Luongo looking very sharp, gives pause. But I see them out of the playoffs though as Luongo is not able to stop everything. ... but a team that will be tough to beat

Wild-- They should be tough as usual. I see them around where they were last year but think both Calgary and Edmonton could surpass their point totals. -- A playoff team but fighting to the end to make it

Colorado-- A step back I think-- Perhaps Statsny can go from star to superstar or perhaps a true number one goalie can emerge. Still a tough team to play and my assessment changes if they get a top goalie but I currently see them out of the playoffs

MY west prediction

Detroit
            San Jose
            Calgary
            Anaheim
            Dallas
            Edmonton
            Minnesota
            Chicago

The only certainty I offer about my prediction is that it will be wrong in many rerspects. There is so much uncertainty and parity that who really knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
              Asher

Warrener and Eriksson have been put on waivers again. If they clear they will go to the AHL where the Flames still have to pay their salaries but it gets subtracted from their salary cap calculation

Other clubs have up until 10 a.m. today to make claims. I wonder will anyone bite? Eriksson did play pretty regularly last year for a playoff club so it wouldn't shock me if someone decided their defensive depth could use another guy. Warrener? Looked too hurt all last year . . . Someone could take a chance--- But both are now "depth" defencemen in their 30s-- I figure most clubs want to fill those spots with their young guys to look to the future and for salary cap reasons

Thats probably the reality of the salary cap--
              I think they've both played their last NHL games.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'd put Minnesota above Edmonton and potentially above Calgary.

There's questions like if Gaborik can stay healthy, but it's a very familiar squad that's only gotten better and their goaltending pairing is fantastic. If Gaborik stays healthy and Kipper sucks, Minnie will be 1st in the NW. But that's the only case.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I think they've both played their last NHL games.
                  I think thats a bit harsh-- It may be what happens but I can envision any number of scenarios where they play-- heck --two injuries on d and one of them is called up and playing

Comment

I'd put Minnesota above Edmonton and potentially above Calgary.

There's questions like if Gaborik can stay healthy, but it's a very familiar squad that's only gotten better and their goaltending pairing is fantastic. If Gaborik stays healthy and Kipper sucks, Minnie will be 1st in the NW. But that's the only case.

perhaps you are right that I am too high on Edmonton at the moment-- But for some intangible reason I just don't see the Wild as stepping it up another notch. I see them standing still and getting surpassed by an improved Calgary. Obviously if Kipper sucks, the Flames will have troubles even making the playoffs let alone surpassing Minny but thats more about the Flames than Minny

In all this I don't see the gaps as being that large and fully expect that the NW will continue to be pretty tight

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I think thats a bit harsh-- It may be what happens but I can envision any number of scenarios where they play-- heck --two injuries on d and one of them is called up and playing
                      I'm expecting at least one of them to just retire.

Rhettro is rumoured to be taking a position with the organization in a non-player capacity, for instance...

Comment

I'm expecting at least one of them to just retire.

Rhettro is rumoured to be taking a position with the organization in a non-player capacity, for instance...
                        That would not surprise me.

My actual only surprise was that I heard also that Lundmark was on waivers. perhaps it was just easier to move him (two-way contract perhaps-- I don't recall) but I would have much rather kept Lundmark around than Primeau.

To me primeau hasn't done much of anything in his last couiple of seasons but perhaps the fact that he was pretty animated in a couple of pre-season games was enough for the coaches to give him one more try?

so its

Giordano Phaneuf
                        Regehr -Aucoin perhaps
                        Sarich -Vandermeer
                        Pardy

Depending on how things go, I could see Vandermeer sometimes moving up on the wing

So forwards (14 remaining)

Iggy-Langkow-Bert
                        Cammalleri- Lomabardi-Bourque

Then I'd have

Mossy-Boyd-Glencross but Conroy is likely in there

leaving one of the above 4 to go with

Roy, Primeau, Prust, Nystrom

Comment

Lundmark just pissed me off -- why sign him back in the end of July, sign him to a contract ,then waive him? We have already had him on our team recently, we know he sucks... don't get it.

Here are the configurations I expect:

Kiprusoff
                          McElhinney

Phaneuf - Giordano
                          Regehr - Sarich
                          Aucoin - Vandermeer
                          Pardy

Bertuzzi - Langkow - Iginla
                          Bourque - Lombardi - Cammalleri
                          Glencross - Boyd - Moss
                          Primeau - Conroy - Roy
                          Nystrom, Prust

Comment

Hmmmm... My uninformed top 8 in the west:

Detroit
                            San Jose
                            Calgary
                            Anaheim
                            Minnesota
                            Chicago
                            Dallas
                            Colorado
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Chicago over Dallas. Ballsy.

Colorado over Edmonton? Very very ballsy.

I think Edmonton is going to make the playoffs. Even without the legendary Gilbert Brule, who they just demoted.

Comment

Lundmark just pissed me off -- why sign him back in the end of July, sign him to a contract ,then waive him? We have already had him on our team recently, we know he sucks... don't get it.
                                Well its better to sign and release rather than to have him here all year doing not much. I figured that ANYONE they sign just before training camp must be because you are pretty certain he will be on your roster.

Here are the configurations I expect:

Kiprusoff
                                McElhinney
                                well duh

Phaneuf - Giordano
                                Regehr - Sarich
                                Aucoin - Vandermeer
                                Pardy
                                Yup-- Although I see Aucoin as being closer to being a top 4 d-man all around than Sarich, we probably will see Sarich in there with Regehr as part of a shut-down pairing. So Aucoin could be relegated to 3rd string and 2nd team PP- a lot will depend on how Giordano does and of course there will be injuries

Bertuzzi - Langkow - Iginla
                                Bourque - Lombardi - Cammalleri
                                They have signalled these as the top two lines but neither Bourque nor Lomabardi are locks to stay.

Glencross - Boyd - Moss
                                I liked this line a lot in the pre-season and hope they gat a chance as a trio again

Primeau - Conroy - Roy
                                Nystrom, Prust
                                Conroy onn the 4th line? But to me as well thats where he fits and subbing in higher up when injuries hit.

Of those guys I would play Primeau the least until he shows something.

I actually wouldn't mind Nystron-Conroy- Prust -- Conroy has looked a bit slow last year but maybe playing with two middleweight buzzsaws will perk him up. For sure those two will be buzzing around and annoying the heck out of the other team. Roy? I don't know enough. Personally I always hate having to waste a roster spot on a pure goon so hopefully he can be more than that

Comment

Working...
                                X