This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merriman should be fine.

I don't get all the hoopla saying he will never play again.

Wishful thinking?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The crazy thing is that even with Strahan's retirement and this Umenyiora injury, the Giants are STILL deep at DE with Tuck, veteran Renaldo Wynn, and the option of moving Kiwanuka back to DE.

Comment

Giants are a lot like the Bears. Good defense, good running for the most part, but not overall as good as the Bears. The rest they plug in. When Phil Simms is your recent QB of note, that's a problem. A) Length since departure and B) He wasn't great by any means, he was just the best they've offered up lately, as in the last couple of decades.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sloww:

Good defense, good running for the most part, but not overall as good as the Bears.
          Good running?

Cedric Benson: 3.4 yards/carry.
          Brandon Jacobs: 5.0 yards/carry.
          Derrick Ward: 4.8 yards/carry.

Jacobs got only 6 more carries yet racked up 335 more rushing yards. Hell, Derrick Ward had only 125 carries to Benson's 196 yet Ward had only 72 less yards.

Comment

Uh, no. More along the lines of Gale Sayers, Walter Payton and even Neal Anderson.

If you're going to quote me, quote all of me. Don't take one sentence out of context. Dumbass.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Merriman deciding whether to play or have surgery

Updated: August 23, 2008, 11:20 PM ET

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers Pro Bowl linebacker Shawne Merriman said Saturday he has two torn ligaments in his left knee and has been told by doctors that he could suffer a possible career-ending injury if he attempts to play without having surgery.

Merriman said he has tears in both the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments. He said doctors agree that he needs surgery to repair the damage.

"It could be career-threatening if I did [play]," Merriman said. "It's a possibility. That possibility is still open."

A course of action has not been decided. Merriman, who will consult with a doctor in Miami early next week before making a decision, has been told reconstructive surgery would keep him out for the 2008 season. Another option is a less-invasive surgery that would allow him to play at some point in the season.

"They've all said the same things about the injury," Merriman said. "[They're] kind of surprised that I've been playing with it up to this point."

The Chargers open the regular season Sept. 7 against the Carolina Panthers. Merriman wants to play this season.

"That's first and foremost," Merriman said. "That's what I want to do. That's why this decision is even out there still and not already made, because I want to play, period. The question is what should I do? How long should I play with it?

"It's a thousand different options at this point and I'm just trying to make the best one."

Merriman left the team Tuesday to seek opinions from other doctors, a trek that included a visit with renowned surgeon James Andrews on Wednesday in Birmingham, Ala. He said he is seeking as many opinions as he can for a reason.

"I'm just trying to make the best decision possible for the team and for my career," Merriman said.

Coach Norv Turner has remained optimistic all week that Merriman will be able to play this season. He again expressed that hope Saturday.

"Right now, in talking to him, his mind-set is he's doing everything he can to get ready for Carolina, our opener," Turner said. "He just wants to get a little bit more information on his knee."

Merriman has made the Pro Bowl in each of his three NFL seasons. He has 39½ sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player.
              Shawne Merriman told the Chargers he has a torn lateral collateral ligament and posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.

With two torn ligaments, why risk your career?
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

He won't. Not if he has any brains at all, which is in doubt.

Comment

Aug 24, 5:38 PM EDT

Falcons make rookie Matt Ryan their starting QB

By GEORGE HENRY
                  Associated Press Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Matt Ryan will be the Atlanta Falcons' starting quarterback this season. The No. 3 overall draft pick was chosen Sunday by first-year Falcons coach Mike Smith, who indicated that Ryan will likely play just the first series of Atlanta's preseason finale Thursday night at Baltimore.

The Falcons, who went 4-12 last year, host Detroit to begin the regular season on Sept. 7.

Ryan began training camp last month second on the depth chart behind Chris Redman, but the rookie was poised enough in a preseason win Friday over Tennessee to win the job.

The former Boston College star completed 15 of 21 passes for 102 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions. He directed a touchdown drive on his last series, the first possession of the third quarter, when Brian Finneran caught a 1-yard TD to give the Falcons a 10-3 lead.

Comment

Sloww:

the rest of the paragraph you were just talking about Phil Simms. It had nothing to do with runningbacks.

But as you requested:

Giants are a lot like the Bears. Good defense, good running for the most part, but not overall as good as the Bears. The rest they plug in. When Phil Simms is your recent QB of note, that's a problem. A) Length since departure and B) He wasn't great by any means, he was just the best they've offered up lately, as in the last couple of decades.
                    Good running?

Cedric Benson: 3.4 yards/carry.
                    Brandon Jacobs: 5.0 yards/carry.
                    Derrick Ward: 4.8 yards/carry.

Jacobs got only 6 more carries yet racked up 335 more rushing yards. Hell, Derrick Ward had only 125 carries to Benson's 196 yet Ward had only 72 less yards.

Comment

With two torn ligaments, why risk your career?
                      Norv will sit him if that's the case.

Merriman figures the Bolts could go all the way this year. Wouldn't you want to ride the trip all the way to the Super Bowl?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It does have to do with the Bears. Neither have had a QB of note lately. That was my point.
                        Good defense, good RB, no QB or WR. Are we on the same page yet? Do we need a bouncing ball to allow all to follow along?

Comment

The Bears don't have a good RB (or didn't last year anyway) and didn't have a good defense; they had a couple of quite good WRs.

The Giants didn't have a good RB, had a quite solid QB, a somewhat better defense (last year), and better WRs, but both teams had solid WRs really.

So, no, they don't share much in common...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            The Bears don't have a good RB (or didn't last year anyway) and didn't have a good defense; they had a couple of quite good WRs.

The Giants didn't have a good RB, had a quite solid QB, a somewhat better defense (last year), and better WRs, but both teams had solid WRs really.

So, no, they don't share much in common...
                            Giants lose Umenyiora for season Story Highlights
                            Osi Umenyiora will miss the season with a knee injury
                            The defensive end is one of the top defensive players for the Super Bowl champs
                            Umenyiora was hurt in the Giants preseason game against the Jets

Osi Umenyiora tore his lateral meniscus in Saturday's preseason game.
                            AP

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- With the retirement of seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan, the job of repeating as Super Bowl champions was going to be difficult for the New York Giants.

Now it might be near impossible with the news that fellow Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora is out for the season with a knee injury.

An MRI on Sunday showed that Umenyiora tore the lateral meniscus in his left knee in a preseason game against the archrival Jets on Saturday night.

The two-time Pro Bowler will have surgery on Tuesday at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City. The recovery period is about four months.

Dr. Russell Warren, the team surgeon, never discussed a non-surgical option, coach Tom Coughlin said.

"My number one concern is about Osi," Coughlin said in a telephone conference call on Sunday. "I did talk to him on the phone a short while ago and told him that he is in everyone's thoughts and prayers."

The devastating report came less than 24 hours after the team had thought it had caught a break in the wake of the second-quarter injury, which happened when Umenyiora's foot seemed to stick to the turf as he tried to beat Jets tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson to the outside.

Umenyiora was carted off the field with what the team described as a locked knee. X-rays taken during the game revealed no ligament damage. An MRI on Sunday found the torn meniscus on the 26-year-old who led the team with 13 sacks last season.

"It was obviously the news that I did not want to hear," Coughlin said. "But after listening to the explanation and Dr. Warren's thoughts on it, I am convinced that this is the right procedure and the right way to go."

The combination of the injury and Strahan's retirement leaves the Giants very thin at defensive end.

Coughlin said the team is considering all its options, with the most obvious being enticing the 36-year-old Strahan to come out of retirement.

Strahan retired in June, ending a 15-year career highlighted by the Giants' stunning Super Bowl victory over the unbeaten New England Patriots.

Coughlin recently talked with Strahan about his new career working on Fox's pregame NFL show on Sundays.

"The only thing I talked with Michael about was his new challenge, moving forward in his new assignment and he was very excited about that," Coughlin said.

Agent Tony Agnone said the Giants have not contacted him to ask about Strahan, who is out of the country on vacation.

"Obviously, he loves the Giants and obviously he is working for Fox," Agnone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "Right now he is relaxing and getting ready for his Fox gig."

Strahan missed all of training camp last season while mulling retirement. He reported to the team a little more than a week before the season opener and played well.

However, he trained while thinking about retirement last year and was in good shape.

The Giants open the season on Sept. 4 against the Washington Redskins.

Justin Tuck has replaced Strahan at left end. Replacing Umenyiora at right end will not be easy. He has had 401/2 sacks over the last four seasons. His team-high 13 sacks last season was highlighted by a franchise-record six against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 30 at Giants Stadium.

Coughlin has three choices to replace Umenyiora. He can start either Renaldo Wynn, the veteran free agent who was signed in the offseason, or second-year pro Dave Tollefson, who played well late last season in a backup role.

The other option would be to move strongside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He was switched to linebacker last year so the team could put its best 11 players on the field.

"I haven't talked to any of the players or to Kiwi or anyone this afternoon and until I do that, I will just refrain from any thoughts about what might happen within our team," Coughlin said.

Coughlin said losing a player in a preseason game is difficult.

"I think the number one thing that brings frustration, anxiety, and knots in your stomach, all the things that go along with the injury to the players which do not allow your team to function as it is presented on paper," Coughlin said. "Those types of things are very difficult for coaches, no matter what age you are."

This is gonna hurt the Giants

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Come back Strahan!

Tuck/Kiwanuka will be a capable DE pairing... only problem is now we'll need another OLB which we didn't really have to begin with.

Comment

Brandt: Bolt-ing to the NFL?

Could Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt make the jump to the NFL? Put it this way: If Tex Schramm and I were still running the Cowboys, we'd be in Jamaica right now waiting for Bolt's plane to land.

I have no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X