This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough sentence reflects judge's displeasure with Vick

RICHMOND, Va. -- In the months since Michael Vick pleaded guilty for his role in a federal dogfighting case, Vick should have been trying to impress federal officials with his honesty and contrition. It would have reduced his time in prison considerably.

Instead, Vick flunked a drug test, lied about his drug use and failed a lie-detector test on his role in the executions of fighting dogs that failed to perform.

In his sentencing hearing Monday in Richmond, Va., Vick paid the price.

U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson sentenced Vick to 23 months in a federal penitentiary. With time off for good behavior, Vick would be eligible for release in May of 2009.

If Vick, who filed a guilty plea Aug. 24, had cooperated with FBI agents and probation officials, the sentence could easily have been between 12 and 18 months.

It was apparent in the opening moments of the hearing that Hudson was not happy with Vick's performance in the presentence procedures. As Vick's attorney, Billy Martin, tried to explain that Vick had "accepted responsibility" for his role in the dogfighting scheme, Hudson interrupted, describing two specific statements Vick had made and the exact dates when he made them.

Hudson demanded to know how Vick, sitting at a table in the courtroom in a black-and-white-striped chain-gang jail jumpsuit, could have denied a personal role in the execution of seven dogs in April 2007 and how he could have lied to an FBI agent about his marijuana use.

Martin tried to explain, suggesting that Vick merely handed a dog to a cohort for hanging and that the disgraced NFL star was smoking dope as "self-medication for clinical depression."

Neither explanation seemed to impress Hudson.

Martin described the false statements as "hiccups" and "bumps on the road to redemption."

The judge quickly responded that Vick's story on executions was contradicted by two of Vick's cohorts, and that Vick had tested positive for marijuana.

"These were false statements to federal agents," the judge observed, closing the discussion.

Acceptance of responsibility is a critical factor in the calculation of federal sentences. If Vick had shown he accepted responsibility, his sentence under federal guidelines would have been in the range of 12 to 18 months.

But Hudson refused to give Vick any credit for acceptance of responsibility, asserting that Vick made "false denials" to government agents about executing the dogs and "was less than candid about his drug use."

Hudson's ruling pushed Vick into a range of 18 to 24 months in prison -- with Hudson sentencing him to one month less than the maximum under the guidelines.

In addition to the deception on drugs and executions, federal prosecutor Michael Gill explained that Vick "had made a calculated effort to hide the truth" on four other issues in interviews with federal agents.

Vick's lawyers made no effort to deny Gill's assertion, and when Gill offered to support his claim with testimony from an FBI agent, attorney Martin quickly told Hudson that would not be necessary. The subjects of these FBI queries are not known because they are sealed in court files unavailable to the media and the public.

In addition to the 23 months in a minimum-security penitentiary, Hudson ordered Vick to serve three years of "closely supervised probation."

It is a maximum sentence under federal rules and will require Vick to report to a probation officer frequently. He will be subjected to drug tests and forced to tell the officer about everything he does, from applying for a new credit card to buying a new home.

Hudson's tough approach to the Vick sentencing was instantly apparent when Vick entered the courtroom. As he walked down two steps from a lockup in the rear of the courtroom, spectators saw the chain-gang outfit and gasped.

Vick's attorneys had requested permission from Hudson to allow Vick to change into a suit before the court appearance. Hudson refused, requiring Vick to wear the uniform of the jail in Warsaw, Va., where he began serving his time last month.

In six to 10 weeks, Vick will be assigned to a federal prison where he will serve the remainder of his time.

Vick's family members, including brother Marcus, were permitted to sit in a front row of the courtroom but were separated from Vick by a low wall and a phalanx of federal agents. In previous court appearances, Vick's family sat inside the low wall, close enough to talk with and touch him.

Even Michael Vick's personal apology did not impress Hudson. As Vick tried to make a statement, Hudson admonished him, saying he should "be apologizing to the millions of kids who idolize you."

In addition to prison and supervised release, Vick must pay the government nearly $1 million for its care of the dogs seized on his property.

Vick's financial situation is increasingly precarious, with creditors piling on with lawsuits against him over a car rental business, a line of credit and a wine shop.

In addition, an NFL arbitrator has ruled that Vick must return nearly $20 million in bonus money. Vick is appealing that ruling, and many legal experts expect him to succeed in reversing the arbitrator's decision.

Vick's sentence concludes a rocket ride through the criminal justice system that began with a raid on his kennel property in Surry, Va., on April 25, 2007, and concluded with his prison sentence seven months later.

As his lawyer, Martin, said outside the courthouse after the sentencing, "Never has someone fallen so hard, so fast and so far."
    Michael Vick didn't do himself any favors by failing a drug test, lying about his drug use and failing a lie-detector test about his role in a dogfighting scheme. ESPN.com's Lester Munson explains how Vick is paying the price now.

I guess he was uncoachable.
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• q f t

who knows, year and a half more in prison, he may be the dog that learns how to fetch a bone
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• My wife informs me that the hot doggy present for this Christmas is a Michael Vick chew toy...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Shouldn't he get claim to royalties of his likeness? Help him pay who he owes.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Well, my guess would be that it's not an officially licensed arrangement.
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Found this on AOLsports...

Michael Vick Chew Toy: The Only Thing You Can Still Buy With Vick's Name on It

Michael David Smith
              Posted Aug 6th 2007 10:00AM by Michael David Smith

You can't buy a Michael Vick jersey anymore. You can't buy his Nike shoes, you can't buy Vick-related apparel from the NFL's online shop and you can't buy his stuff at sporting good stores.

So the Vick dog chew toy is just about the last thing you can purchase with Vick's name on it. The manufacturers explain:

[I] Is it different you ask? You bet it is! The Vick Dog Chew Toy is made of state of the art "dog" material. The Vick Toy Doll is so strong and flexible, it will challenge even the most aggressive breeds. Especially Mike's Favorite Breed, The Pit Bull.

Unlike Vick, our manufacturer is so sure of its durability they guarantee it against the most aggressive dog destruction. It Bends. It Bounces. It Flies. It Floats. And best of all, it lasts through the whole season and more![I]

Vick and the NFL could probably sue to stop sales of this product, since it uses Vick's name and likeness and a Falcons jersey without permission. But the NFL might not want to call any more attention to the Vick case, and Vick's lawyers have more important things to do right now.

Comment

• This miscreants selling it are at vickdogchewtoy.com...

Comment

• I'd think the NFL would sue, since they're so rabid about protecting their brand.

So they're saying Bush is out for the season with a partially torn PCL, though maybe he could be back for a playoff game.
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                  Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

• Falcons had a big 60-yd punt, down at the 1. So what? Saints drive 99 yds for a TD. Chris Redman, who was selling insurance not so long ago, now a starting NFL QB playing on MNF, throws a TD to tie it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                      Last week of the regular season in fantasy football, and I need some help to make the playoffs over Berz. So for today, I'm a big fan of the Deviations, hoping they get a huge day from Peyton Manning.
                      I was going to say it was looking good, but then Drew Brees started putting up Brady points...
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• In one of my leagues I will finish #1, about 3800 points with a 10-4 record, tied for first but due to most points,(leader and number one in playoff settings) currently by 3 as long as Jerious Norwood dont frigg me up

Comment

• Falcons look like they should have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express

Comment

• 3800 pts in 14 weeks? WTF kind of scoring system is that???

Comment

• How did this not get posted? JR, you and I get our wish

Orton
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• go 'Hawks
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X