No announcement yet.

MLB 2007 - World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing is that the Rockies need to compete more than once to really grow their revenue, I'd think. If they are a legit contender next year too, and the year after that... then they will be in a position to capitalize on an enlarged fan base/fan interest. They won't be the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs... but they can become more of a "mid-market" team than a "small-market" one. See: Seattle Mariners.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• The Rockies pull in a pretty good amount of money. Until a few years ago they were #1 in ticket sales since their inception, over 10 years prior. Of course, they're not the same price as a ticket in Yankee Stadium would be, but when you sell out 50,000 seats regularly it's going to bring in some cash.

That popularity has dropped off the last few years, but even during the days of milk and honey the Rockies were never big spenders. I'd be surprised if much of the core team that did so well this year was still around in 3. The ownership wanted to trade Todd Helton at the start of this season, and without him their payroll would be pretty well near last in the league.

Jon

Comment

• Atlanta is football country... Hell, they couldn't even sell out play off games.

Colorado is different. They can add to attendence, and an expanding base of fans can add to the TV and Radio revenue. Granted, they aren't a Big Market, but they can do better than their current deal.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Shafer
          The Rockies pull in a pretty good amount of money. Until a few years ago they were #1 in ticket sales since their inception, over 10 years prior. Of course, they're not the same price as a ticket in Yankee Stadium would be, but when you sell out 50,000 seats regularly it's going to bring in some cash.

That popularity has dropped off the last few years, but even during the days of milk and honey the Rockies were never big spenders. I'd be surprised if much of the core team that did so well this year was still around in 3. The ownership wanted to trade Todd Helton at the start of this season, and without him their payroll would be pretty well near last in the league.

Jon
          50,000 seats a game? If they did that regularly they'd hit 4m seats, which is well beyond even the cubs (admittedly, sellout of Wrigley is like 36000 or something, I think?) ... didn't realize Coors was that big, but I guess with the cavernous size and all it must have a decent number of seats in it.

They're certainly a growing area, I always thought of them as football country (ie the Atlanta comparison). I suppose if they hit 3.5m seats a season it would be worth it ... who knows, maybe with the Holliday/Tulowitzki combination they can bring in more fans. I'd honestly have preferred them trade Helton, he's getting old for that team and it makes sense to grab a good player or two at AAA for him if you can to have a deeper team three to five years from now when Tulowitzki and Holliday are in their prime.

Perhaps if they start to regularly sell out next year they'll convince management to pay for a better team They don't even have any huge holes besides pitching, and their pitching isn't horrible (though they definitely need stronger pitching).
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• They hit almost 4.5 million for a number of years. They were #1 in ticket sales from their inaugural season until 2000 (when they dropped to 3rd). Colorado loves its sports. The Rockies have just been, well, terrible lately.

Jon

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
              -Arrian, who must now purchase his wife some sort of "2007 Red Sox: WS Champion" gear for Christmas. Sigh.
              Condolences, Arrian. That's gotta be tough. It must be love...
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
                Atlanta is college football country... Hell, they couldn't even sell out play off games.
                Made more specific
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Edgar Renteria
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    Edgar Renteria
                    Rent-a-wreck
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Shafer
                      They hit almost 4.5 million for a number of years. They were #1 in ticket sales from their inaugural season until 2000 (when they dropped to 3rd). Colorado loves its sports. The Rockies have just been, well, terrible lately.

Jon
                      Hmm, that's true. I'm amazed the stadium holds that many, baseball stadiums are made small nowadays ... at least there are plenty of Coloradoans to fill the seats, with Aurora and whatnot growing by leaps and bounds

Maybe I'll get my dad to take me to a game next time I visit during the season... no way he'd go to a Broncos game, sadly, as he hates Elway and thus the team (due to the Baltimore thing... he holds a grudge like nobody I know)
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                      X