MLB 2007 - World Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Red Sox

What an incredible year. I loved every second of it.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Congrats to the Red Sox. Clearly the best team in MLB 2007, from start to finish. Very impressive.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Congratulations to the BoSox.

They were the big winners with Colorado and Fox being the BIG losers.

The networks usually need 5 or more games to make money... and that assumes average or better ratings.
        I don't think they got either

On to the hot stove league.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Congrats to the Red Sox & their fans.

-Arrian, who must now purchase his wife some sort of "2007 Red Sox: WS Champion" gear for Christmas. Sigh.
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Congrats to Boston. They were clearly the better team, although I'm proud of what the Rockies were able to do. Hopefully they can come back and compete next year, although I wonder how long the team can be kept together with this kind of success and the 26th highest payroll...

Jon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Shafer
              Congrats to Boston. They were clearly the better team, although I'm proud of what the Rockies were able to do. Hopefully they can come back and compete next year, although I wonder how long the team can be kept together with this kind of success and the 26th highest payroll...

Jon
              The team will probably generate more money next year thanks to their successes this year, and they will spend it to keep their players. Hopefully they won't pull a "Marlins"
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

• The Sox really owe a lot to the Farm System for this year. With big money busts like Drew and Gagne, and the underperformance of other big money names, the Sox were helped by home-grown talents under the $500,000 mark (Papelbon, Lester, Buckholtz, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury) who stepped up and were the real stars of this team.
                "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming
                  The team will probably generate more money next year thanks to their successes this year, and they will spend it to keep their players. Hopefully they won't pull a "Marlins"
                  Well, the team ownership is keeping about 50% of ticket revenues already, whereas most teams are about 25%, so I can't say I have a lot of faith in them.

Jon

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                    Congrats to the Red Sox & their fans.

-Arrian, who must now purchase his wife some sort of "2007 Red Sox: WS Champion" gear for Christmas. Sigh.
                    Don't buy too soon - you might be able to get her an A-Rod jersey. (Though I hope not - I'd much rather keep Mikey)

I've got my Eastern Div champs gear and AL champs gear already, and WS champs gear on the way.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                      The Sox really owe a lot to the Farm System for this year. With big money busts like Drew and Gagne, and the underperformance of other big money names, the Sox were helped by home-grown talents under the $500,000 mark (Papelbon, Lester, Buckholtz, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury) who stepped up and were the real stars of this team.
                      Especially toward the end, there was indeed a good mix of the established stars and the young guns. I would say that the "real stars" include Manny, Ortiz, Beckett, Lowell, and other vets too, though.

I like the youth movement in Boston and the Bronx. Hopefully those guys - the ones you mentioned on the one hand and the Yankee young guns on the other - will duke it out for years to come.

One more thing, concerning the rookie of the year...
                      Dustin Pedroia: the player people think David Eckstein is.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Don't buy too soon - you might be able to get her an A-Rod jersey. (Though I hope not - I'd much rather keep Mikey)
                        2007 WS Champions gear, man. Unless ARod signs with the Sox AND has a time machine...

I've got my Eastern Div champs gear and AL champs gear already, and WS champs gear on the way.
                        That's what I call investing yourself in your team...

-Arrian

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Shafer

Well, the team ownership is keeping about 50% of ticket revenues already, whereas most teams are about 25%, so I can't say I have a lot of faith in them.

Jon

50%... greed is an evil thing. Maybe they will learn the 25% of a larger total is better than 50% of a smaller total. A continued winning tradition is a great way to earn tons of money.
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                            The Sox really owe a lot to the Farm System for this year. With big money busts like Drew and Gagne, and the underperformance of other big money names, the Sox were helped by home-grown talents under the $500,000 mark (Papelbon, Lester, Buckholtz, Youk, Pedroia, Ellsbury) who stepped up and were the real stars of this team.
                            The Sox are going to have some serious problems (or serious spending to do) around '09 and '10. Most of the above players will be free-agent eligible by then, and get a lot fatter contracts. Tek will be done, Wake and Schill will be long done (Wake's back/shoulder problem isn't good news). Absense of Wake will make Dougie irrelevant, but he's old already.

Manny's option years will be out, and it'll be interesting what he has to bring after next year.

Things look great for next year, but after that, I think there will be a lot of spending/rebuilding.

The best news, right here, right now, unless Epstein simply goes crazier-than-a-****house-rat crazy, is that Gagme has made the transition to Gone?-Yay!!!
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

2007 WS Champions gear, man. Unless ARod signs with the Sox AND has a time machine...

That's what I call investing yourself in your team...

-Arrian
                              Got a whole closet full of stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming

50%... greed is an evil thing. Maybe they will learn the 25% of a larger total is better than 50% of a smaller total. A continued winning tradition is a great way to earn tons of money.
                                I think the problem is that it's not... unless you can generate attendance and TV numbers the way the Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees do, you aren't going to double your revenue totals by winning even if you win the WS every year. Look at the Braves for a case in point - they had the best team in baseball for the decade of the 1990s, and they couldn't manage decent numbers... it has so much to do with the fans and their home city.

I don't think the Rockies could double no matter how good they were. Thus, you have to hope the owners care about the team's performance as well as their incomes...

Maybe you can sell the Rockies to Mark Cuban, if he's not buying the cubs...
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X