Clear All

• The College Football Thread 2006

The old one went past 500.

You can continue discussing the rankings and the BCS selections

You can find the old thread here:

Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Originally posted by Guynemer
    Ohio State HUGE over Florida. We're talking a woodshed, redheaded stepchild, pimpslapping type of blowout, three touchdowns at least.

Florida's defense is too stout for this to be a likely outcome. They will be the best D Ohio State has faced all year...

Final rankings...

1. Ohio State
    2. Louisville
    3. USC
    4. Texas
    5. LSU
    6. West Virginia
    7. Michigan
    8. California
    9. Oklahoma
    10. BYU

BCS Games (projected winner in bold)

Ohio State v. Florida

Michigan v. USC

Oklahoma v. Boise State

Louisville v. Wake Forest

LSU v. Notre Dame
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

McCoy got hurt. Unfortunate, but he did.
      What did you want Oklahoma to do? Stay home in sympathy protest?

Peterson got hurt, Bomar got expelled, OU didn't collapse like Texas did.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Drake, care to make an avatar bet on that MIchigan/USC game?
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

BYU is in your Top 10 but not Florida at all?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            He forgot to take Texas out of the Top 10.

ACK!

Comment

That too.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

And California.

ACK!

Comment

Florida would be just outside the top-10, like at #11. Their defense is great, but their offense is too questionable for me to consider them a top-10 team.

Drake, care to make an avatar bet on that MIchigan/USC game?

Not really. Like Dan said, you can't be sure which USC team is going to show up.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

My quick picks...

OSU by 17 over Fla. Professor McSweatervest will get his boys ready for a big game. The thing is, OSU hasn't blown many people out in big games, even if the outcome is never in doubt during the game. Likely, he'll get up early and manage the clock. Fla plays a gimmicky offense, which matches up very poorly with OSU's defense (disciplined, aggressive, smart). I can definitely see OSU's D feast on Leak and Tebow. Go Bucks!

USC by 2 touchdowns over Michigan. Or it really could be Michigan by 2 touchdowns over USC. As stated, USC is an inconsistent team, so it all depends on how USC comes out. But if I had to guess, I would think they come out hot. Anyway, I base my opinion on the ND-Michigan game and the ND-USC game. Michigan was opportunistic in the ND game with regard to turnovers. USC lost the turnover battle with ND, but it didn't matter, because USC made plays all over the field. F.e., Quinn had an excellent game, and threw a lot of perfect passes. But USC's D was most often there to bat the ball away at the last moment. In the end, Michigan may try to follow the UCLA D blueprint. Go Michigan!

Oklahoma by 1 touchdown over Boise State. It wouldn't surprise me to see Oklahoma underestimate Boise State and Boise State pull off the upset. No dog in this fight.

Louisville big over Wake Forest. Even though I haven't seen a lot of Louisville to know for sure, it seems like once they get the train going, they can blow people out (f.e., Miami). No dog in this fight.

Notre Dame by 4 over LSU. LSU's another inconsistent team, or at least its QB is inconsistent. To tell the truth, Russell's an enigma. Sometimes he completes most of his passes, but LSU still doesn't score many points (F.e., 18/21 against Bama, but only 28 points -- if Quinn did 18/21, ND would be hanging 45 on its opponent). Anyway, when Guy mentions the lack of a dynamic offense, that makes sense to me. It's hard to judge an SEC defense like LSU's because the SEC offenses have been so poor lately, so I will not venture an opinion. We all know the limitations of ND's defense. In the end, I'm guessing this will be a weird game, like the ND-UCLA game. Go Irish!
                    Last edited by DanS; December 3, 2006, 23:44.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

People are making similar mistakes with Florida as they did with the 2002-03 Ohio State team. Both teams won unimpressively throughout the year, leading many to think they weren't all that good, but they found ways to pull out wins. Florida has a very, very good defense and an offense that just does enough usually. I think this'll be a fairly low scoring game with Ohio State winning by 7 at the end (24-17 is my pick, if you are wondering).

edit: Though, the interesting thing is Florida saved its best offensive performance for its last game where it just rolled against the Arkansas D.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

im not sure im underrating florida. they are a good team and osu will need to play like champs to be the champs.
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Not according to Drake.

Comment

The problem that Fla has is that its O is based on misdirection, trick plays, and the like. OSU is exactly the worst D to go against with this kind of O. They're nothing if not disciplined.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It OSU is favored by over 7, I'll take the bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X