Wot no coronavirus thread? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
    Easily. But the pharma and med industries have based their global business models on the current market inequities of the US system (Medicare not allowed to negotiate drug prices, separate pricing for the uninsured, etc), so the changeover would be extremely bumpy.
    I find it quite weird that you don't say anything about the insurance companies - they are probably one of the worst problems you have when exploiting sick people.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
      What percentage of the population has cancer?
      Cost of cancer care in the US is about $174bn. The US spends about $3.5tr. Cancer care doesn't represent much of the cost, albeit a slightly outsized cost

Learn about the health and economic costs of chronic disease in the US and how preventing or managing symptoms can reduce the cost.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Interesting link, says 90% of the expenditures are from chronic ailments (mostly heart disease) and mental health diseases. Prevention can cut down alot of those factors. Sedentary lifestyle, diet, and stress (inflammation) are all items that need an overhaul
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• On Wednesday, the U.S. reported 181,490 new COVID-19 cases and 2,297 deaths. The disease has killed more than 268,000 Americans (wiping the equivalent of St. Petersburg FL off the map) and infected at least 12.7 million (more people than Pennsylvania, our 5th largest state).

Also on Wednesday, Trump told the nation in his Thanksgiving proclamation that they should "gather" and made zero mention of safety protocols to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Another demonstration of the fact that he doesn't give a crap about actual people.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends. Stay safe.
          Last edited by -Jrabbit; November 26, 2020, 15:37.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• I had not anticipated the US topping 3000 deaths per day. It looks like we will though.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• The silver lining is there will be fewer Republican voters in the future.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                -Jrabbit commented
                Editing a comment
                No. Remember, last Spring the administration took quiet joy in learning that COVID was concentrated in cities and disproportionately affecting people of color. Equally stupid. That has changed over time, and we know that the virus does not discriminate.

There is no silver lining.

• Uncle Sparky
                Uncle Sparky commented
                Editing a comment
                The virus doesn't discriminate, but medical care in the US does. The poor are being hit hardest and that will continue. And in the US, that will hit POC more than white people. But, as the Dakotas have shown, poor white people will die in droves too; they will not realize what killed them because they are believing the pathetic liars in the GOP leadership.

• The Oxford vaccine seems to be ~70% effective (might be greater, they accidentally gave half-dose as the first of two inoculations to a small subset, and they faired really well, although were mostly on the younger side). This is great news, since it costs an order of magnitude less than the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, only needs standard refrigeration, and AstraZeneca van produce more than twice as many doses as Moderna and Pfizer put together during 2021.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• I waiting for folks to argue that Bill Gates will force-vaccinate everyone using chemtrails
                Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                  I waiting for folks to argue that Bill Gates will force-vaccinate everyone using chemtrails
                  I am sure Michael Wendler and Attila Hildmann will be busy spreading this ... as well as, in the USA, lots of people of QAnon
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                    -Jrabbit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The anti-vax movement is clearly QAnon's next target, encouraging everyone to avoid the Covid vaccines so they won't be "controlled" by the government.

• pchang
                    pchang commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We have been thwarting Darwin for too long.

• It's November 28. That's 4 weeks of November. In that time, the US has so far recorded more than 4 million official coronavirus cases.

That's roughly 30% of the country's pandemic total of 13.1 million total official cases, according to Johns Hopkins University data. In under a month. And that suggests that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Daily deaths, 7-day moving average: 1,529.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• 74 million Americans still think Trump is doing a great job. We're ****ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
                      74 million Americans still think Trump is doing a great job. We're ****ed.
                      Too many anti-covid peeps are spreading the virus like wildfire. I'm not sure how Trump or whoever you want will sit on power will do to make that in their control.

Comment

• Dr Scott Atlas, Trump's Covid non-expert, has resigned. Tho says his contract just run out.

(...)he said his advice had "always focused on minimising all the harms from both the pandemic and the structural policies themselves, especially to the working class and poor".
                        Bitter irony.

Dr Atlas clashed with other scientists after questioning the need for masks and other measures.

Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                          Uncle Sparky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I wonder f the 'No sex with demons' doctor is available to replace him? Or maybe Paula White...

• Proteus_MST
                          Proteus_MST commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How about Sarah Palin? After all we know, thanks to this History Movie from the Future named "Iron Sky", that she will be PotUS one day and will lead the nations of earth in their fight against the Moon Nazis
                          Last edited by Proteus_MST; December 2, 2020, 14:20.

• Ted Striker
                          Ted Striker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          HAHA I loved Iron Sky

• Atlas had no prior expertise in infectious diseases or pandemic response before joining the White House. His medical background is in diagnostic radiology, while his bio page at Stanford University’s right-wing Hoover Institution, where he is a senior fellow, states that his focus is on “the impact of government and the private sector on access, quality, pricing, and innovation in health care.”

Despite Atlas’ lack of qualifications, he confidently adopted a contrarian view on the virus early in the pandemic. In April op-eds for The Hill, he argued that “unprecedented isolation policies and near-total economic lockdowns” were not sustainable and that the “appropriate policy” was to “protect the known vulnerable, self-isolate the mildly sick and open most workplaces and small businesses with some prudent large-group precautions.”

Sounds familiar

Comment

• With his bg in radiology he should have pushed for rayguns to shoot the virus. So we could have Pfizer guns by now...
                          Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Maybe he can go into practice with Rand Paul... Did he create his own professional association too? They could have gotten NRA funding. Paul could have developed a COVID gun site that would have allowed a radiologist/marksman to pick off a virus at 100 meters (or about 100 yards for 'Mercans).
                        Working...
                        X