No announcement yet.

Wot no coronavirus thread? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about your super spreader events...
    Organizers say dozens of swingers have tested positive after attending a sex convention in New Orleans last month.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Ted Striker
      Ted Striker commented
      Editing a comment
      Couldn't they just do a Zoom call?

• Hey, a record 2,831 Americans died of COVID-19 today.

2nd straight day with over 200K new cases, too.

Trump? Doesn't care.
    Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 3, 2020, 01:04.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Yep... all Trump cares about is trying to steal the election and pardon himself, family and friends while Americans continue to die while he does nothing. It is kind of ironic that if he had actually showed some leadership and empathy about the whole situation, he probably would have won in a landslide...
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Trump lied Americans died

Comment

• And who can forget the classic...
          "That's all I hear about now. That's all I hear. Turn on television—'Covid, Covid, Covid, Covid, Covid, Covid.' A plane goes down. 500 people dead, they don't talk about it," Trump told his supporters at a campaign rally in Lumberton, North Carolina, on October 24th. "Covid, Covid, Covid, Covid.' By the way, on November 4, you won't hear about it anymore,"
          Boy did he get that wrong
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• big question: what do you think the peak number for covid deaths per day is going to be? It's currently at about 2700, and the 7 day average lags behind hospitalizations. My guess is that we'll see that number double at worst, but likely at best hit about 4k.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased View Post
              big question: what do you think the peak number for covid deaths per day is going to be? It's currently at about 2700, and the 7 day average lags behind hospitalizations. My guess is that we'll see that number double at worst, but likely at best hit about 4k.
              I think it is hard to guess-
              After all the numbers oft active cases in the USA are still on the rise, with no sign of peaking anytime soon.

I also think that there may be jumps in the numbers of deaths per day, thanks to local ICU capacities (in cities or even states) getting overwhelmed by critical CoViD-19 cases (and therefore people die who, with proper treatment, could have survived)
              Last edited by Proteus_MST; December 3, 2020, 17:42.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• 1% of the US dying in one year would be over 8k a day, so I'll go with that as the peak figure

Comment

• Over 3,000 *new* COVID-19 deaths in the US today. What silly fake news! Why is poor Donald Trump not King yet? That is the real question.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• MRNA up to $157/share.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• The UK preordered a total of 355 million vaccine diesels from the various companies. That’s enough to vaccinate everyone in the UK 2.5 times.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

• N35t0r
                        N35t0r commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No vaccine petrols or vaccine EVs?

• pchang
                        pchang commented
                        Editing a comment
                        stupid autocorrect.

• Uncle Sparky
                        Uncle Sparky commented
                        Editing a comment
                        At least they aren't using bleach.

• US has prepaid for the following vaccine doses that I know of:
                      Moderna - 100 million
                      Pfizer BioNtech - 100 million
                      AstraZenica Oxford - 500 million
                      Johnson and Johnson - 100 million

This is enough to vaccinate everyone in the US ~1.33 times. (Johnson and Johnson may only require 1 dose)
                      Last edited by pchang; December 4, 2020, 12:42.

Comment

• What's the J&J vaccine?
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• pchang
                          pchang commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Johnson and Johnson owns Janssen and so some might list that vaccine as the Janssen one while others list it as Johnson and Johnson.

• Originally posted by pchang View Post
                        US has prepaid for the following vaccine doses that I know of:
                        Moderna - 100 million
                        Pfizer BioNtech - 100 million
                        AstraZenica Oxford - 500 million
                        Johnson and Johnson - 100 million

This is enough to vaccinate everyone in the US ~1.33 times. (Johnson and Johnson may only require 1 dose)
                        The interesting question may be, if the vaccine doses make it to the points of distribuition in all states intact.

AFAIK thre are special requirements like an intact cooling chain (AFAIK the BioNTech, for example, has to stay at -70 or -100°C or the like),
                        so the distribution may need especially thorough planning ot warehousing and the logistic chains.

I doubt that the federal government is able to do this (too many experts having beern fired and replaced by Yes-Men) ...
                        and I also wouldn't think that the expertise for such endeavour may lack in several US states.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• If they can deliver dry ice (and they can) to every state, they can deliver the Pfizer vaccine. All others require standard freezing (equivalent to delivering ice cream) at worst.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            In Canada, we are putting the military in charge of distribution and storage.
                        Working...
                        X