No announcement yet.

Wot no coronavirus thread? Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank God... it will keep that criminal from spreading the virus more and killing more Americans.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• well the virus is galloping here. overwhelmed everything and it is the same in most parts of europe.
      and on top of all that the french girl came again here from france.

wtf, she wants to go out on a drink. we can't go out everything is closed

Comment

• pchang
        pchang commented
        Editing a comment
        Then I guess you will have to stay in

• Ahem, I want to be a responsible citizen, you understand

Comment

• Hey look: actual data! From very-red Tennessee!

Areas With Mask Mandates Have Lower Covid-19 Hospitalization Rate, Study Finds

Alison DurkeeForbes Staff
        Business Topline

Covid-19 hospitalizations in Tennessee have risen at a far lower rate in areas that have mask-wearing mandates than those that don’t, a new analysis from Vanderbilt University researchers found, reinforcing evidence showing that face masks play a significant role in slowing coronavirus transmission.

The study found that in Tennessee hospitals where less than 25% of patients came from counties with a mask mandate, hospitalizations as of Oct. 23 had risen by more than 200% since July 1.

Hospitals in which 26% to 50% of patients were from counties with mask mandates saw hospitalizations rise by approximately 100% since July 1.

In hospitals where patients came from counties where more than 75% of patients were under mask mandates, there was virtually no change in the level of hospitalizations since July 1, and hospitalizations only slightly increased in hospitals where 51 to 75% of patients were under mask mandates.

The researchers note that areas that have mask requirements also have “greater changes in other community behavior” that could reduce Covid-19 transmission, so the lower hospitalization rates may not be attributable to masks alone.

The researchers also make clear that with hospitalizations going up across the state, “masking alone is not a silver bullet” to prevent hospitalizations entirely.

The Vanderbilt analysis also tracked mobility data and consumer spending habits and found that lower mobility was associated more with higher Covid-19 rates than stay at home orders, meaning people were less likely to go out if cases were higher in their area than if there were shutdown restrictions in place. As a result, the researchers concluded that “the best way to manage the economic fallout is to definitively manage the virus using proven strategies that can break chains of transmission.” “Only when transmission is reduced will individuals feel comfortable participating in activities that support the local economy as they did before the pandemic,” the researchers wrote.

Big Number

44,212. That’s the number of current Covid-19 hospitalizations in the U.S. as of Wednesday morning, according to the Covid Tracking Project, out of 465,777 total hospitalizations since the pandemic began. Covid-19 hospitalizations have been surging as cases have risen nationwide, and hospitals across the country are starting to face capacity issues, activate field hospitals and discuss how to ration medical care if needed.

Key Background

The Vanderbilt analysis is the latest in a string of studies to show that face masks play a key role in reducing Covid-19 transmission or reducing the severity of the disease, and health experts including Dr. Anthony Fauci have advocated for a national mask mandate as cases continue to rise across the country. Mask wearing has become a source of partisan controversy, however, exacerbated by President Donald Trump and his allies’ refusal to wear masks or impose mask-wearing restrictions.

North Dakota and South Dakota, the two states currently experiencing the worst Covid-19 cases per capita in the country, are both led by Republican governors who have refused to implement mask mandates even as cases have soared. “Those who don’t want to wear a mask shouldn’t be shamed into wearing one,” South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem wrote in an op-ed for the Rapid City Journal last week, citing sources that “question the effectiveness of masks.”

White House coronavirus response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx said North Dakota had “the least use of masks that we have seen in retail establishments of any place we have been” in a visit to Bismarck Monday, calling the lack of mask-wearing “deeply unfortunate.”
        TL/DR: The more mask-wearing, the less Covid hospitalizations.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          This is making international headlines, but not national headlines in the US because of the corrupt fake national news.

[Some baseless drivel]
          So you're saying that all those Mexicans are secretly escaping and crashing ohio's hospital system?
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• What Kiddy think is a good idea :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• If anyone thinks masks don't work, please explain Japan.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                If anyone thinks masks don't work, please explain Japan.
                Easy.
                They didn't rebrand flu deaths as COVID, thus showing that coronavirus doesn't even exist.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• pchang
                  pchang commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe it's because French is your primary language, but that makes no sense at all.

• N35t0r
                  N35t0r commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think (hope) he's being sarcastic.

• Both of my parents were covid-positive, as well as my aunt, the family of my gf, my ex-gf and nearly an half of my unit I was working with every day.
                But thanks God and our medicine all of them are fine now and covid-negative as myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                  If anyone thinks masks don't work, please explain Japan.
                  The masks do work!

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb View Post

The masks do work!
                    I know, but there are a worrisome number of people who contest this.
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Those people called idiots.
                      If I didn't wore a mask and there was no other precaution measures like checkpoints where their measure your body temperature every morning, I would have been be dead now.

Comment

• But thatnks to those and all other simple measures Russia has +20K covid positives every day now out of 150mil population, while USA has over +100K with popultation of 330mil.
                        And the death rates are not even comparable. It's like a day and night.

Comment

• As cases are rising in Europe and the US current WH folks stay the course:

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has tested positive for coronavirus, according to two officials familiar with the matter, becoming the latest official in President Donald Trump's administration to become infected with the virus after a string of outbreaks in the West Wing.

Two other Trump staffers have also tested positive, officials said, lending further disquiet to an already-tense post-election White House.
                          (snipsnap)
                          At least five people within President Donald Trump’s orbit have tested positive for coronavirus, including his chief of staff and a top campaign aide, becoming the latest administration officials to be infected with the virus after a string of outbreaks in the West Wing.
                          Blah

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                            Uncle Sparky commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I wondered what jobs Trump WH staffers could hope to have after they are expunged (Except for conservative commentator) ,,, I think medical school cadaver could join that list.

• In other news:

Mink are cute, but they're out to get us it seems. Unfortunately it does not look good for them

Denmark will cull all its mink - as many as 17 million - after a mutated form of coronavirus that can spread to humans was found on mink farms.
                          full: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54818615

Blah

Comment

Working...
                          X