Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-...-affected.html

More evidence natural immunity acquired from covid infection is better... still better... than a vaccination

boosters dont help people who already got infected but do help people who got the original 2 shots
    So you're telling me that my best chance to avoid catching COVID is to catch COVID?

Good to know.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
      Uncle Sparky commented
      Editing a comment
      The same is true for STDs. Just ask Trump.

• Berzerker
      Berzerker commented
      Editing a comment
      No, the science shows if you got covid you're better protected from Omicron than vaccinated people... By this point most everyone has either been vaccinated or gotten covid, the boosters dont help the latter. That is good to know.

• N35t0r
      N35t0r commented
      Editing a comment
      That's not what a lot of studies have concluded though, for example:
      Individuals who, despite having been vaccinated against COVID-19, develop the disease and are hospitalized are less likely to go to an intensive care unit (ICU), more likely to have a shorter hospital stay, and less likely to die in the hospital than individuals hospitalized for COVID who were never vaccinated, according to a national study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s VISION Network. These findings confirm that vaccination, while not 100 percent effective in preventing COVID, has reduced disease severity during the periods of Delta and Omicron dominance.

• get yer vitamin D folks - big study shows a 1/3rd reduction in mortality for people with good levels... and lose weight

its kinda weird how fat is such a major factor, its like the body's organs get squished together maybe even at a cellular level making it easier for bugs to jump to other organs. Or maybe thats just gibberish

Comment

• Yes. That was gibberish:
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• What kind of lunatic turns off someone else’s oxygen machine? This kind.
        A hospital patient has been arrested after she allegedly twice switched off the oxygen equipment on which a fellow patient depended because it was too noisy, German authorities have said.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Obama made a Freudian slip while trash talking Herschel Walker, he called him "Uncle Joe" while describing a mentally deficient family member

in other news, looks like Twitter was conspiring with the DNC, the Biden campaign and the FBI to censor damaging information about Biden family corruption. These are the people saving democracy from the fascists and you better be grateful or else.

Comment

• When asked if he was ready to make his concession speach, Herschel Walker said, "Yes. I'd like two loaded footlongs, and a coke."
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-...-affected.html

More evidence natural immunity acquired from covid infection is better... still better... than a vaccination

boosters dont help people who already got infected but do help people who got the original 2 shots
              Also, none of what you say is what the linked article claims. In fact, quite the opposite.

Originally posted by the conclusions from the paper
              IIn this study, we observed that primary vaccination provided significant but limited protection against Omicron (lineage BA.1) infection among people with and without a documented prior infection. While booster vaccination was associated with additional protection against Omicron BA.1 infection in people without a documented prior infection, it was not found to be associated with additional protection among people with a documented prior infection. These findings support primary vaccination in people regardless of documented prior infection status but suggest that infection history may impact the relative benefit of booster doses.

So, summing up: vaccinated people still are better protected from omicron than non vaccinated people, (regardless of if they have had COVID or not, so having caught COVID doesn't appear to give any benefit over vaccinating) and boosted people without a prior infection were even better protected than boosted people with a prior COVID infection (who were on par with vaccinated but not boosted people).

In the paper, they cite another study done among correctional facility population in which the booster does improve protection among previously infected people, and mention it might be a really particular to that population, or it might be sampling error on their part (they had a small sample size of boosted and infected people)

If you look further into the paper, they mention that even in people who have already had COVID, a primary vaccination (so COVID + 2 mRNA doses) is 41% more effective at preventing symptomatic cases than only a previous infection.
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• "While booster vaccination was associated with additional protection against Omicron BA.1 infection in people without a documented prior infection, it was not found to be associated with additional protection among people with a documented prior infection."

iow, the boosters dont add protection for people who already got Covid but it does help people (temporarily anyway) who got the original 2 shots or never got either.

Another study showed vaccinated people were more likely to get and spread Covid than the unvaccinated. Wanna guess why? It would be funny if people didn't die as a result, but Fauci and the media and government were telling people if they got vaccinated they wouldn't get or spread Covid. Well, for 2-3 weeks the vaccinated were doing better than the unvaccinated but then the antibody spike faded and vaccinated people convinced they were safe went about life while the unvaccinated people were still social distancing.

As a result over several months vaccinated people were getting and spreading Covid at higher rates than the unvaccinated. But as time went on in the study the news of "breakthrough" infections increased so vaccinated people started taking better precautions but they were still getting and spreading Covid more than the unvaccinated months after the shots.

Comment

• if a booster doesn't help people who got covid but does help people who got the original 2 shots, then my conclusion is natural immunity is better than the 2 shots. Now if they want to argue getting Covid followed by 2 shots does add protection, thats not what I was addressing. I'm talking about the boosters and the 2 shots wear off while natural immunity appears better long term.

Also, the studies I've seen comparing Covid immunity to Covid immunity + the 2 shots show Covid immunity is doing the heavy lifting. The shots help a little but the shots without the prior infection don't match natural immunity. As I recall one large study from SoCal showed vaccinated people were 25x better protected than the unvaccinated whereas Covid immunity was 50x better. Covid immunity + 2 shots was 55x better.

Comment

• Okay?
                    "

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                      When asked if he was ready to make his concession speach, Herschel Walker said, "Yes. I'd like two loaded footlongs, and a coke."
                      At least he gave a concession speech, progress I think
                      Blah

Comment

if a booster doesn't help people who got covid but does help people who got the original 2 shots, then my conclusion is natural immunity is better than the 2 shots.
                        You're free to conclude whatever you want, but just so you know that reasoning goes against the evidence.

They were not comparing COVID vs COVID+booster and vaccines vs vaccines+booster separely. They were comparing both against the baseline (not vaccinated).

You seem to think that they are somehow getting their immune systems and checking how strong they are, and that no improvement means that they must already be strong.

No.

They are comparing how many people get symptomatic COVID among the several populations. If a booster doesn't help people who got COVID but does help people who didn't, it means that the people who didn't get COVID got sick less than the people who had gotten COVID earlier.

This is exactly the opposite of what you claim.

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                        Now if they want to argue getting Covid followed by 2 shots does add protection, thats not what I was addressing. I'm talking about the boosters and the 2 shots wear off while natural immunity appears better long term.
                        Then post a study that supports that.
                        You posted the above study and then claimed that it supports the opposite of what it does. If you don't like what they argue, then I guess you shouldn't post it, not complain about it.

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post

Also, the studies I've seen comparing Covid immunity to Covid immunity + the 2 shots show Covid immunity is doing the heavy lifting. The shots help a little but the shots without the prior infection don't match natural immunity. As I recall one large study from SoCal showed vaccinated people were 25x better protected than the unvaccinated whereas Covid immunity was 50x better. Covid immunity + 2 shots was 55x better.
                        Please post these studies. Above I posted a link to a recent study (published December 7th), that found that:

Originally posted by https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/973610
                        Individuals who, despite having been vaccinated against COVID-19, develop the disease and are hospitalized are less likely to go to an intensive care unit (ICU), more likely to have a shorter hospital stay, and less likely to die in the hospital than individuals hospitalized for COVID who were never vaccinated,
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Griner released in prisoner swap for Russian arms dealer.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                            Griner released in prisoner swap for Russian arms dealer.
                            Good for Brittany, but not an equal exchange. Victor Bout is a very dangerous man and should never have been let free. Still...it is good to see Brittany on the way home.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO View Post

Good for Brittany, but not an equal exchange. Victor Bout is a very dangerous man and should never have been let free. Still...it is good to see Brittany on the way home.
                              I guess that the US doesn't consider him very dangerous anymore? It's not like Russian weapons will be a very hot item in the near future.
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X