X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Meat executive fired for biting into non-vegan meat
    Originally posted by BBC
    Beyond Meat executive exits after biting incident

The Beyond Meat executive who was accused of biting a man's nose is leaving the vegan food company.

The US firm, known for its plant-based burgers, had suspended Douglas Ramsey, then chief operating officer, indefinitely after the incident.

His departure comes amid a broader shake-up at the company, which is struggling with faltering demand for fake meat.

The firm also said it was axing 200 staff, about 20% of its workforce.

"We believe our decision to reduce personnel and expenses throughout the company, including our leadership group, reflects an appropriate right-sizing of our organization given current economic conditions," Beyond Meat boss Ethan Brown said.

"We remain confident in our ability to deliver on the long-term growth and impact expected from our global brand."

Beyond Meat, which started selling its plant-based food in 2012, has blamed cost-of-living pressures for pushing shoppers to less expensive options, including traditional meat.

The company has also seen its edge eroded by a wealth of new competitors, including from food giants such as Kellogg and Tyson Foods.

Executives warned investors on Friday that sales this year are likely to fall 9% to 14% compared to 2021.

It is the second time the company had cut its forecast in recent months - and marks a sharp slowdown from the more than 20% growth the firm had initially projected.

The company said it had been "negatively impacted by ongoing softness in the plant-based meat category overall, especially in the refrigerated subsegment, and by the impact of increased competition".

"Inflation is believed to be an underlying factor exerting pressure on the category as consumers trade down into cheaper forms of protein, including animal meat," it added.

Beyond Meat had announced an earlier round of job cuts in August. Multiple executives in addition to Mr Ramsey have also left the company in recent weeks.

The company did not respond to a request for comment about Mr Ramsey.

He was arrested last month for reportedly biting a man's nose during a row after a football game in Arkansas. His last day was 14 October, the company said.

Before joining Beyond Meat last year, Mr Ramsey had a three-decade career at meat processing giant Tyson Foods, where he oversaw the company's poultry and McDonald's business units.
    Douglas Ramsey was suspended from his post last month after he was accused of biting a man's nose in Arkansas.
    Last edited by Broken_Erika; October 14, 2022, 17:59. Reason: missing d
    I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• pchang
      pchang commented
      Editing a comment
      Beyond Meat is based on pea protein. My wife says it tastes like peas and won't buy it.

• Beyond meat is pretty good, but it's better just to eat a whole food plant-based diet and cut out the substitutes.
    "

Comment

• Beyond meat is OK, but I can't eat a lot of it. It is better than some of the standard stuff... but I actually like the black bean burgers (which I don't see around as much now, unfortunately) and falafel burgers better. I also can eat them more often, even if I am really hungry I am not eating a second beyond meat burger in a sitting.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• In totally other news the Bibs turned 100 today. Gratz.

Blah

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
          Japan heritage worker backs car into oldest toilet at Kyoto temple

A man whose job it is to help preserve Japan's cultural heritage has accidentally smashed his car into the country's oldest toilet at a centuries-old Buddhist temple.

The communal loo at Tofukuji in Kyoto dates back to the 15th century and is designated an important cultural asset.

Its ancient door was ruined after the employee hit the gas without realising the car was in reverse, police said.

No one was injured and the actual latrines inside remained intact.

The unnamed man, who works at the Kyoto Heritage Preservation called police soon after the crash, telling them he had crashed into the temple. He was said to be visiting the temple on business, according to the Sankei Shimbun newspaper.

A photo in the newspaper showed what appeared to be the car after it drove into the toilet's 700-year-old wooden door and pillars.

Toshio Ishikawa, director of the Tofukuji Research Institute, was "stunned" by the scale of the accident.

Another official said that although the damage is repairable, restoring the outhouse to its original state would require "lots of work".The unused communal toilet - known as tōsu - was built in the first half of the Muromachi period (1336-1573) and is located inside Tofukuji temple.

It's nicknamed the "hyakusecchin", which means 100-person toilet, as it was used by more than 100 trainee monks at the temple practicing religious self-discipline, the newspaper Asahi Shimbun reported.

The paper describes it as a structure containing a stone row holding around 20 circular holes.
          The man, whose job is to help preserve cultural heritage, accidentally reversed into the toilet.
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
            Uncle Sparky commented
            Editing a comment
            That man narrowly avoided being in deep doo doo...

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
          Wow. That's a pisser
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
            Philippines: Student 'anti-cheating' exam hats go viral

Images of students wearing so-called "anti-cheating hats" during college exams have gone viral on social media in the Philippines, sparking amusement.

Students at one college in Legazpi City were asked to wear headgear that would prevent them peeking at others' papers.

Many responded by creating homemade contraptions out of cardboard, egg boxes and other recycled materials.

Their tutor told the BBC she had been looking for a "fun way" to ensure "integrity and honesty" in her classes.

Mary Joy Mandane-Ortiz, a professor of mechanical engineering at Bicol University College of Engineering, said the idea had been "really effective".

It was implemented for recent mid-term exams, which were sat by hundreds of students at the college in the third week of October.

Prof Mandane-Ortiz said her initial request had been for students to make a "simple" design out of paper.

She was inspired by a technique reportedly used in Thailand some years previously.

In 2013, an image went viral appearing to show a room of university students in Bangkok taking test papers while wearing "ear flaps" - sheets of paper stuck to either side of their head to obscure their vision.

Prof Mandane-Ortiz said her engineers-in-training took the idea and ran with it - in some cases innovating complex headgear in "just five minutes" with any junk they found lying around.

Others donned hats, helmets or Halloween masks to fulfil the brief.

A string of the professor's Facebook posts - showing the youngsters wearing their elaborate creations - garnered thousands of likes in a matter of days, and attracted coverage from Filipino media outlets.

They also reportedly inspired schools and universities in other parts of the country to encourage their own students to put together anti-cheating headwear.

Prof Mandane-Ortiz said her tutees performed better this year, having been motivated by the strict examination conditions to study extra hard.

Many of them finished their tests early, she added - and nobody was caught cheating this year.
            College students were asked to create headwear to help resist the urge to peek at others' papers.

Comment

• Best pic from that article:

Blah

Comment

• In Sweden, the concept of idle chit-chat or small talk is described as ‘dead talk’.
                ​

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post
                  Zlad - Anti-Pope
                  ​

Comment

• Sometimes the journey of many miles ends very badly
                    Originally posted by CBC
                    Deer swims all the way to P.E.I. only to be struck by transport truck

Diane Griffin was about to cross the Confederation Bridge on her way to New Brunswick on Tuesday when she pulled off to the side of the road to take a phone call.

Then, as she looked out her windshield, she thought she saw a white-tailed deer come up over the bank and graze in the grass.

Could it be? Deer are not native to P.E.I.

How did it get here? Should she hang up and call the authorities?

The intrigue then turned to shock.

"All of a sudden right in front of me it dashed across the road onto the pavement and a big transfer truck was coming off of the bridge and just, smuck. The poor deer was killed instantly."

Officials with P.E.I.'s Department of Fish and Wildlife believe the deer is the first to successfully swim across the Northumberland Strait.

"There are no known white-tailed deer on P.E.I. but they are common in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia," the department said in an email to CBC.

"We have occasionally collected dead deer on South Shore beaches that were presumed to have drowned."

The deer was brought to the Atlantic Veterinary College. Due to the condition of the animal after the collision, little information could be obtained, but officials believe the deer was only on P.E.I. a short time before it was killed.

Griffin, a retired senator from P.E.I., said the incident "kept me awake" during the rest of her trip.

"We're not used to seeing them. It's when we go over to the New Brunswick side of the Confederation Bridge that most of us start to get more cautious about worrying about deer or moose," she said.

"So it was very intriguing to even see the deer here to start with, but to see it hit such an end so suddenly was a pretty powerful thing to have happened."

Wildlife officials say for the the first time to their knowledge, a deer successfully swam across the Northumberland Strait. But it didn't have much time to celebrate.

Comment

• Oh deer...
                      Blah

Comment

• Bees ‘count’ from left to right, study finds

Latest finding adds to theory that animals, including humans, naturally arrange things in a certain order, even without being able to count
                        Latest finding adds to theory that animals, including humans, naturally arrange things in a certain order, even without being able to count

Blah

Comment

• Attacked owl rescued by fishing crew 100 miles out to sea

A long-eared owl shocked crew on board a fishing boat over 100 miles off the north coast of Scotland.

The bird was rescued by a crew member who spotted it being attacked by seagulls.

It suffered minor injuries but was cared for by the team on board Peterhead-registered Benarkle II for the rest of their trip.

It is believed the owl had been blown off its normal course before landing on the boat.

The Benarkle II crew said the poorly creature perked up a great deal after being "beefed up" with some chopped steak.After returning to harbour, the owl was handed over to the Huntly Falconry Centre who said it was very unusual for it to have been so far from land.

Crew members said the bird appeared on board the trawler in the middle of their trip last week - and seemed perfectly happy once it had settled into its new surroundings.

A social media post from the team added: "[It] was starting to become used to the comings and goings of crew in the wheelhouse, even letting him out to stretch his wings.

"Although getting an unwilling owl to go back into his temporary home isn't the easiest of operations!"

Once the trawler returned to Peterhead, the owl was taken to the Huntly Falconry Centre to fully recover.

John Barrie, who owns the centre, said: "The owl is just tired after the journey.

"They'd fed it up on the boat, and we'll do the same here.

"It just needs a bit of beef on it.

"It'll be here for a week or two then released back into the wild."

Mr Barrie said the bird was over 100 miles out from the coast.

He added: "It wasn't in its own environment, it must've just got blown off course.

"These same guys brought in a hobby falcon a couple years ago and it was about 400 miles out.

"It's funny that that's twice they've brought in a bird. There's obviously someone on board who knows about birds."

Long-eared owls are known for their distinct white eyebrows and striking bright orange eyes.

Despite being called the long-eared owl, the tufts on its head aren't actually ears at all.

The large head feathers are simply used to make it look bigger when the bird is alarmed.

They are said to be the most nocturnal of all the owls.

The breed looks deceptively long and thin while flying, but is usually no larger than a woodpigeon.

And they traditionally prefer dense coniferous woodlands to being at sea.
                          The long-eared owl was rescued after being attacked by gulls off the north coast of Scotland.

Comment

• Piet Mondrian artwork displayed upside down for 75 years

Who'd have known?
                            Blah

Comment

Working...
                            X