No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea and Cuba are the only places you can't buy Coca-Cola.

Comment

• According to a study developed for National Geographic in 2011, the world's "most typical person" is right-handed, makes less than $12,000 per year, has a mobile phone, and doesn't have a bank account.

Comment

• Seriously?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
          Seriously?
          not long ago those would have all been new threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
            North Korea and Cuba are the only places you can't buy Coca-Cola.
            I was in Cuba and could buy coca cola.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• (...)

On 29 June this year, Earth racked up an unusual record: its shortest day since the 1960s, when scientists began measuring the planet’s rotation with high-precision atomic clocks.

Broadly speaking, Earth completes one full turn on its axis every 24 hours. That single spin marks out a day and drives the cycle of sunrise and sunset that has shaped patterns of life for billions of years. But the curtains fell early on 29 June, with midnight arriving 1.59 milliseconds sooner than expected.

The past few years have seen a flurry of records fall, with shorter days being notched up ever more frequently. In 2020, the Earth turned out 28 of the shortest days in the past 50 years, with the shortest of those, on 19 July, shaving 1.47 milliseconds off the 86,400 seconds that make up 24 hours. The 29 June record came close to being broken again last month, when 26 July came in 1.5 milliseconds short.

(...)
              Analysis: Reflecting a recent trend, 29 June was the shortest day on our planet since the 1960s. What’s going on?

Earth is spinning faster and faster. If the trend continues this way there will be a point when the centrifugal force becomes so strong that we'll all fly off the planet!

Blah

Comment

• There's probably a large block of dense crust subsiding deep into the mantle.
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• EPW
                  EPW commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You seem awfully well informed about this

• N35t0r
                  N35t0r commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's just a wild guess. Oceanic crust gets denser as it ages (and is denser than continental crust), and often large chunks stay surprisingly together after subducting into a fault. I'm not at all aware of what they do once they've done so, and whether my theory is at all valid or not.

• could be material sinking closer to the center like a skater pulling their arms in or maybe a warmer climate creates less drag

Comment

• [BREAKING] FBI is raiding Mar-a-Lago. Trump is still at large.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• The deep state makes law enforcement executing legal search warrants now!

And don't get me started on the Trump-appointed FBI chief

Blah

Comment

• 'But her e-mailes', he whined as they pulled out the extra small handcuffs.
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Donald the Fifth. (named for his favourite ammendment.)

Comment

• Someone hired a plane to fly over Mar-A-Lago with a "Ha Ha Ha"-Banner

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• look at the latest javelin variant. it is hard to really understand what you are looking at. that smoke screen tank is toast. it's the same javelin... just new code. nice!!!!

Comment

• So, did Trump not return the nuclear launch codes? Is that what was in his bigliest safe?
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X