No announcement yet.

In Other News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another secret ANTIFA member going to jail for peaceful protest in Washington... Wait... secret ANTIFA members were rioting and Trump patriots were peacefully protesting. Sorry. I should keep better track of such things. With a name like Klete Keller, he's probably al-Qaeda too.

Five-time Olympic swimming medallist Klete Keller pleaded guilty Wednesday to a felony charge for storming the U.S. Capitol during the Jan. 6 riot and faces 21 to 27 months in prison.
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Squirrel Hides Over 150 Pounds of Nuts in Chevy Truck in Four Days

One North Dakota man had his work cut out to clear his truck of this squirrel's secret stash.

Squirrels are much like humans in that they are capable of forward planning to manage their food stores over a long period of time. However, the cute little mammals aren't capable of real agriculture, nor building silos to store their harvest. Instead, one enterprising little rodent decided to stash its nuts for the winter in the engine bay of a truck, reports the Grand Forks Herald.

North Dakota man Bill Fischer found his Chevrolet Avalanche overflowing with black walnuts after leaving it parked for just four days, according to the Herald. In photos posted to Facebook, Fischer shows off 5-gallon buckets filled to the brim with nuts. Apparently the work of a single industrious red squirrel, every nook and cranny of the engine bay and fenders had been stuffed full. Fischer ended up removing the entire front clip of the vehicle in order to clear everything out.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.fische...79775248734733

"I had to pull the fenders off and clean out all the walnuts out," Fischer told the Herald, noting that his efforts were not 100% successful. "I have some rolling around the frame, rails wells as well, that I can't get at," Fischer added.

One photo posted by Fischer shows he was able to fill a total of seven buckets with the nuts pulled out of the truck. With each bucket apparently averaging 26 lbs, that one enterprising squirrel apparently managed to harvest well over 150lbs of walnuts for the winter. It certainly would have made for good eating. Fischer later stated he had 42 gallons of nuts available, "Naturally grown" and "all hand (paw) picked by a squirrel." The Drive reached out to Fischer who confirmed that he was able to get the job finished and the Chevy back on the road.

It's something we've seen before, too; a Kia Sorrento from Pittsburgh got absolutely loaded up with walnuts back in 2019. In that case, the engine bay was also stuffed with plenty of moss and branches too. Such situations can lead to disastrous results. Overheating likely due to a lack of airflow, and fires possible where combustible material is jammed up next to a hot exhaust. If driven in such a state, a vehicle could quickly be totaled if things go wrong.

If you live in an area with squirrels or other rodents that store food or nest, it bears checking under the hood from time to time to make sure nothing is amiss. It's particularly important for vehicles that are left to sit for extended periods of time. Sometimes though, even if the critters don't leave anything behind, they'll simply gnaw on the wiring instead. Headaches abound either way!

Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• -Jrabbit
        -Jrabbit commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that's what I call "Other News"!

• Berzerker
        Berzerker commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a problem with rats building nests in engine compartments, it dont take long. I trickle charge my trucks every month and discovered one with a hole in the vacuum assist hose to the brake cylinder.
        Last edited by Berzerker; October 9, 2021, 15:48.

• Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	9425341
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• A ‘Historical Event’: First Malaria Vaccine Approved by W.H.O.
        Malaria kills about 500,000 people each year, about half of them children in Africa.

Of course, there will be skeptics who decline...
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Golden retriever handed Guinness World Record for fitting most tennis balls in mouth

An adorable golden retriever has been written into the history books – as he’s smashed the world record for holding the most amount of tennis balls in his mouth in one go.

The seven-year-old pooch, named Finley, can fit a whopping six tennis balls in his mouth at once.

Finley’s impressive feat means he’s beaten the previous record of five, which stood for 17 years and was made by another golden retriever from Texas, USA.

And Finley’s record-breaking achievement has been officially documented, as he’s been recognised by the Guinness Book of Records and will feature in the 2022 edition of the brand’s annual book.

Proud owners Cheri and Rob Molloy and their daughter Erin are over the moon with their pooch’s skills and couldn’t be more excited to see Finley’s feat in writing.

Erin, from Canandaigua, New York, US, said: "It's just so exciting.

"When I look at him, I'm like, 'I want to squeeze you, I love you so much’."

Finley also has his own Instagram account, and the record-breaking dog shared his “big news” with his 47,000 followers.

A post on his account read: “Big news!

“I can officially say that I am in the Guinness World Records book for 2022.

“This of course wasn’t easy, and certainly felt like forever and a day to accomplish.

“Thank you to all my friends and fans who have been following my tennis ball journey since the beginning.”

Finley’s family – who have had the pooch since he was a 10-week-old puppy – said they spotted he could pick up lots of balls at once when he was two years old.

And while they used to grab their phones to record him whenever he got close to breaking the world record, they no longer have to worry about getting proof that he’s the world’s best.
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
            Uncle Sparky commented
            Editing a comment
            A friend of mine used to have an Irish Wolfhound... she probably could have held 2 or 3 Golden Retrievers in her maw...

• Poorly chosen font transforms shop's Halloween message into something very rude

Keep on Civin'

Comment

• Blah

Comment

• Monty Python's Hell's Grannies have become reality it seems.

Across China’s public parks and squares, in the early hours of the morning or late in the afternoon, the grannies gather.

The gangs, made up mostly of middle-aged and older women who went through the Cultural Revolution, take to a corner of a local park or sporting ground and dance in unison to Chinese music. Loud music.

The tradition has led to alarming standoffs, with the blaring music frequently blamed for disturbing the peace in often high-density residential areas. But many are too scared to confront the women.

The dilemma of the dancing grannies has prompted some to seek out tech solutions. One went viral online this week: a remote stun gun-style device that claims to be able to disable a speaker from 50 metres away.

Reviews of the item were positive. “Downstairs is finally quiet. For two days the grannies thought their speaker is not working!”, said one on Taobao, China’s version of eBay.

“Great invention, with this tool I will be the boss in the neighbourhood now,” said another. “This is not just a regular product, it is social justice!”

(...)
              Bolding by me.

full: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ables-speakers
              Blah

Comment

• Tea and sympathy: Canadian frigate helps Royal Navy solve a high-seas catering crisis

HMCS Winnipeg boosted British morale with three boxes of Earl Grey

The Canadian Navy came through for its U.K. cousin this past week by donating badly-needed stocks of Earl Grey tea to HMS Queen Elizabeth while at sea in the Pacific.
                I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Earl Grey. Hot!
                  Blah

Comment

• This Alberta bear came in the bedroom window. The family's dilemma was how to get it out

An uncommonly close encounter at an acreage near Fort McMurray, Alta.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

• Elk wandering Colorado for two years with tyre around neck is freed

An elk roaming the hills of the US state of Colorado with a tyre around its neck for two years has finally been freed, wildlife officials say.

Wildlife officers in the US state of Colorado say the elk is in good shape after removing its antlers.

Comment

• Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• It is now roaming the hills tyrelessly
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Blah

Comment

Working...
                            X