Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BBC
    Cancer patient set on fire during operation in Romania
    A hospital patient has died after being set on fire during surgery in Romania.

Surgeons at Floreasca Hospital in Bucharest used an alcohol-based disinfectant on the woman, 66, before carrying out her operation for pancreatic cancer on 22 December.

But they then used an electric scalpel - which, as it came into contact with the alcohol, set the woman's body alight on the operating table.

She suffered burns to 40% of her body, and died in hospital a week later.

Police have opened an investigation into the woman's death, local media report.

The victim's family told Romanian media they hadn't been told of "the gravity of the situation" or the details of what had happened - only that it was "an accident".

"We found out some details from the press, when they were broadcast on TV stations," they said. "We aren't making accusations, we just want to understand what happened."

Health minister Victor Costache has promised to investigate the "traumatic" incident.

"We hope to learn from this troubling episode," he said in a statement. "Both myself and the Ministry of Health team that I coordinate will do everything possible to find out the truth."

Deputy minister Horatiu Moldovan added: "The surgeons should have been aware that it is prohibited to use an alcohol-based disinfectant during surgical procedures performed with an electric scalpel."

Romania spends the least on its healthcare system of any EU country, both per resident and as a percentage of its GDP. It has the highest child mortality rates on the continent, along with an underdeveloped hospital infrastructure and a persistent shortage of medical staff.
    The woman, who was having an operation for pancreatic cancer, died after suffering severe burns.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Happy new decade
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
        Happy new decade
        Will this be considered the first FULL decade of the Trump Era?
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Whilst it will be Trump-Kushner 2024, Bernie will make his breakthrough with the Sanders-Beyoncé 2028 ticket beating Trump-Kanye
          Last edited by Dauphin; January 1, 2020, 15:44.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Iran just made a reasonable offer with regards to the assassination of Soleimani:
            Hand Trump over (so that he can stand trial in Iran for the crime) and Iran will be open to further negotiations.
            https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/12...939259905?s=19

According to the comments in the Tweet, it seems to be a good deal for most people in the USA
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Can't accept unless they also take Mike Pence.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                -Jrabbit commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, I'd be fine with Pence holding the bag for a year.

• In the mean time, the Iraqi PM wants Yankee to Go Home. The Iraqi Council of Representatives vote to expel foreign troops... will the US comply, or change its mission to occupation? I wonder why Fox and Friends isn't featuring this?
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• NATO suspends Iraq training mission...

NATO has suspended Canadian-led training of Iraqi security and armed forces to ensure the safety of several hundred mission members after a U.S. airstrike in Baghdad killed a top Iranian general, an alliance spokesman said on Saturday.

Comment

• Two months ago:

Iran discovers new oil field with over 50 billion barrels

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran has discovered a new oil field in the country’s south with over 50 billion barrels of crude, its president said Sunday, a find that could boost the country’s proven reserves by a third as it struggles to sell energy abroad over U.S. sanctions.

The announcement by Hassan Rouhani comes as Iran faces crushing American sanctions after the U.S. pulled out of its nuclear deal with world powers last year.

Rouhani made the announcement in a speech in the desert city of Yazd. He said the field was located in Iran’s southern Khuzestan province, home to its crucial oil industry.

Some 53 billion barrels would be added to Iran’s proven reserves of roughly 150 billion, he said.

“I am telling the White House that in the days when you sanctioned the sale of Iranian oil and pressured our nation, the country’s dear workers and engineers were able to discover 53 billion barrels of oil in a big field,” Rouhani said.

Oil reserves refer to crude that’s economically feasible to extract. Figures can vary wildly by country due to differing standards, though it remains a yardstick of comparison among oil-producing nations.

Iran currently has the world’s fourth-largest proven deposits of crude oil and the world’s second-largest deposits of natural gas. It shares a massive offshore field in the Persian Gulf with Qatar.

The new oil field could become Iran’s second-largest field after one containing 65 billion barrels in Ahvaz. The field is 2,400 square kilometers (925 square miles), with the deposit some 80 meters (260 feet) deep, Rouhani said.

Since the U.S. withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal, the other countries involved — Germany, France, Britain, Russia and China — have been struggling to save it. However, they’ve offered no means by which Iran can sell its oil abroad.

Any company or government that buys Iran’s oil faces harsh U.S. sanctions, the threat of which also stopped billions of dollars in business deals and sharply depreciated Iran’s currency, the rial.

Iran has since gone beyond the deal’s stockpile and enrichment limits, as well as started using advanced centrifuges barred by the deal. It also just began injecting uranium gas into centrifuges at an underground facility.

The collapse of the nuclear deal coincided with a tense summer of mysterious attacks on oil tankers and Saudi oil facilities that the U.S. blamed on Iran. Tehran denied the allegation, though it did seize oil tankers and shoot down a U.S. military surveillance drone.
                  Buried beneath Iran's oil-rich south, a new oil field has been discovered, potentially boosting the country's proven reserves by a third.

Why did they put their country on top of our oil????

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So that Jesus and Trump could secure it for the chosen people!

• I wonder if Iran can do anything after they have been nuked to the stone age. I suggest we find out. The animals are not fit to do anything else.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                    -Jrabbit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Trying to be the new Kid? Well, I must admit, you are a total dick.

• Is calling an entire nation of people "animals" who should be killed allowed here?

Comment

• Originally posted by BBC
                    Trump threatens Iraq with sanctions if US troops are expelled

President Trump has threatened severe sanctions against Iraq after its parliament called on US troops to leave the country.

"We have a very extraordinarily expensive air base that's there. It cost billions of dollars to build. We're not leaving unless they pay us back for it," he told reporters.

Tensions are high after the US assassinated Iranian General Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad last week.

Iran has vowed "severe revenge".

Soleimani, 62, spearheaded Iranian military operations in the Middle East, and was regarded as a terrorist by the US.

The general's remains have now returned to his home country, where mourners packed the streets of Tehran early on Monday.The new head of Iran's Quds force - which Soleimani led - has vowed to expel the US from the Middle East.

"We promise to continue martyr Soleimani's path with the same force... and the only compensation for us would be to remove America from the region," state radio quoted Esmail Qaani as saying.

The strike that killed Soleimani also claimed the life of Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, a top Iraqi military figure who commanded the Iranian-backed Kataib Hezbollah group.

What did Trump threaten Iraq with?
                    Speaking from the presidential plane, Mr Trump said that if Iraq asked US forces to depart on an unfriendly basis, "we will charge them sanctions like they've never seen before, ever. It'll make Iranian sanctions look somewhat tame."

Some 5,000 US soldiers are in Iraq as part of the international coalition against the Islamic State (IS) group.

On Sunday, the coalition paused its operations against IS in Iraq, and Iraqi MPs passed a non-binding resolution calling for foreign troops to leave.The resolution was pushed through by the parliament's Shia Muslim bloc - which is close to Iran.
                    The US president warns Iraq of sanctions "like they've never seen before" if US troops are expelled.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Seems like he doesn't want to bring'em home anymore
                      Blah

Comment

• Great, destroy Iraq's economy so ISIS can make a comeback

Comment

• And drive them closer to IRAN. Great thinking. At least back in Saddam's day they acted as checks on each other.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                          X