Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BBC
    Rats taught to drive tiny cars to lower their stress levels

Learning to drive small cars helps rats feel less stressed, scientists found.

Researchers at the University of Richmond in the US taught a group of 17 rats how to drive little plastic cars, in exchange for bits of cereal.

Study lead Dr Kelly Lambert said the rats felt more relaxed during the task, a finding that could help with the development of non-pharmaceutical treatments for mental illness.

The rats were not required to take a driving test at the end of the study.

How did the rats learn to drive?
    Dr Lambert and her colleagues built a tiny electric car by attaching a clear plastic jar to an aluminium plate, fitted to a set of wheels.

A copper wire was then threaded horizontally across the jar - the cab of the car - to form three bars, left, right and centre.To drive the car, a rat would sit on the aluminium plate and touch the copper wire. The circuit was then complete, and the animal could select the direction in which they wanted to travel.

After months of training, the rats learned not only how to make the ratmobile move but also how to change direction, researchers wrote in the journal Behavioural Brain Research.

What did they find?
    Some of the rats in the experiment had been raised in a lab, while others lived in "enriched environments" - that is, they had more natural habitats.

The rats raised in "enriched environments" were significantly better drivers than the lab rats.

After the trials, researchers collected the rats' faeces to test for the stress hormone corticosterone, as well as for dehydroepiandrosterone, an anti-stress hormone.

All of the rats had higher levels of dehydroepiandrosterone, which the scientists believe could be linked to the satisfaction of having learned a new skill.

Dr Lambert told AFP news agency that the findings could prove useful for future research into treatments for different psychiatric conditions.

"There's no cure for schizophrenia or depression, and we need to catch up," she said.

"I think we need to look at different animal models and different types of tasks and really respect that behaviour can change our neurochemistry."
    Researchers taught rats to drive tiny "ratmobiles" in exchange for food, which helped the rats relax.

I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
    Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
    Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by giblets View Post
      If Trump has any leads have the FBI investigate Biden, otherwise shut up about it
      If you have any evidence of Trump doing anything wrong let's hear it. Otherwise STFU (goes for the media too).
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• -Jrabbit
        -Jrabbit commented
        Editing a comment
        They have TONS of evidence of Trump doing wrong. The inquiry is in its initial stages. Let the committee do its job, get all its investigation done, and then we will move forward with the public-facing side of this inquiry. The fact that Team Trump is all focused on Pelosi's process and not on the evidence shows how desperate they are.

Oh, and Trump's lawyer (Consovoy) threw Pence under the bus again yesterday, going out of his way to say "Trump cannot be indicted, even for shooting someone, but the VP can." Dude has zero loyalty, even to his closest enablers.

• Kidlicious
        Kidlicious commented
        Editing a comment
        Accusations and hearsay isn't evidence and no you can not conduct a Soviet-style show trial. This is America. ACT LIKE AMERICANS!

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

If you have any evidence of Trump doing anything wrong let's hear it. Otherwise STFU (goes for the media too).
      How about he admitted it, and so did his chief of staff... oh, and there is a transcript... and all the people testifying about it... you know, all that stuff, real evidence

Unlike Biden (and I think the whole thing sounds fishy and more investigation would be nice) where there has been NO EVIDENCE of any wrong doing "to date"

So why don't you stop telling people to STFU... because that kind of crap isn't allowed either. GOT IT!
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Kid wouldn't recognize evidence if he was eat it.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Act like Bolsheviks win Bolshevik prizes.

Comment

• Is nonsense all you got? Of course that all you got when faced with multiple testimony against your orange idol.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
              Kid wouldn't recognize evidence if he was eat it.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	01-wildlife-awards-yongqing-bao---wildlife-photographer-of-the-year.jpg Views:	1 Size:	527.5 KB ID:	9384170

Kiddy experiencing fact and evidence

Text slightly modified :

The Kiddy looks paralysed by fear, its fingers splayed and mouth agape. The truth and evidence is poised to pounce. It’s a freeze-frame of chaos, impulse, and terror—nature at its essence.

origin
              Last edited by BlackCat; October 24, 2019, 15:03.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post

How about he admitted it, and so did his chief of staff... oh, and there is a transcript... and all the people testifying about it... you know, all that stuff, real evidence
                "Don'tt believe the things you hear or the things you see.
                Only believe the things I wants you to believe"

Roughly the essence of that Trump once said to his folowers
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Hey BC, well done. I saw that picture someplace else and figured it would be perfect for something. You hit the nail on the head. Well done.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

"Don'tt believe the things you hear or the things you see.
                    Only believe the things I wants you to believe"

Roughly the essence of that Trump once said to his folowers
                    He didn't admit any wrong doing. That's just a ridiculous lie. It's like 5 yrs old ****.

Comment

• That's why I ignore Ming and his brother.

Comment

• He didn't admit any wrong doing. That's just a ridiculous lie. It's like 5 yrs old ****.
                        And that's why everyone here laughs at you. Go figure.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          Act like Bolsheviks win Bolshevik prizes.
                          and
                          That's why I ignore Ming and his brother.
                          I see you just can't help yourself, when cornered, you simply post more nonsense...
                          Ignore me again, and you won't have to in the future.... because you won't be posting here

Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I didn't admit to whatever.

Comment

• You keep claiming you ignore us but then you keep responding to us. It's like Trump and his tweets. He just can't help himself and tweets out more stupidity.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X