Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Difference is Trump didn't stab him in the back. Trump ran on this. Trudeau knew this was coming a long time ago.
    Trudeau didn't stab Trump in the back. Trump knew (or could have known) this was c oming a long while ago.
    This is a news article from end of May (so, more than a week before the G6+1-meeting) in which Trudeau already announced retaliatrory tariffs:

OTTAWA
    —Canada hit back at U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday by announcing tariffs on dozens of U.S. products in retaliation for American steel and aluminum tariffs that Prime Minister Justin
    Trudeau called a “turning point in the Canada-U.S. relationship.” Trudeau said Trump’s tariffs, imposed on supposed national security grounds after NAFTA negotiations stalled, were “totally unacceptable” and “an affront” to a country whose soldiers have fought and died with American soldiers...

Trudeau responded with a list of tariffs to take effect July 1 on more than 100 U.S. products. The list includes not only industrial steel and aluminum items but consumer products, from ketchup to dishwasher detergent to boats to toilet paper to playing cards to insecticide to washing machines.
    Source:
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...t-tonight.html
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I posted the list here at the time. Poly knew about it but the President somehow missed it.

Trumpites are stupid.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

True, you have no choice ... but at 25% higher prices
        No. The opposite. You will have to lower your prices now because of the tariff.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• So not rolling over and bending to trumps whim is stabbing him in the back?
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Trumpites think everyone else are as stupid as they are.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No. The opposite. You will have to lower your prices now because of the tariff.
              Depends on whether our steel manufacturers can find other customers for our high grade steel or not. The USA are just one customer for high quality german steel ... it is sold to customers world wide.
              And considering that the EU currently strengthens its trading ties with lots of countries around the world, including Mexico, Canada, the south american countries and the countries in asia (as replacement for the USA which has become a highly toxic and unreliable trading partner) this could result in more steel (and aluminium) getting sold elsewhere.
              Most probably the steel manufacturers will have to lower the prices just a little bit (say 1-5%) in order to be able to sell the same amounts as before
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• I wouldn't rule out government support for affected industries.

We can ride out the Trump insanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  Trumpites think everyone else are as stupid as they are.
                  Not quite, they think that they are bigly yuuuge geniuses and everyone else is stoopid.
                  I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!

Comment

Depends on whether our steel manufacturers can find other customers for our high grade steel or not. The USA are just one customer for high quality german steel ... it is sold to customers world wide.
                    And considering that the EU currently strengthens its trading ties with lots of countries around the world, including Mexico, Canada, the south american countries and the countries in asia (as replacement for the USA which has become a highly toxic and unreliable trading partner) this could result in more steel (and aluminium) getting sold elsewhere.
                    Most probably the steel manufacturers will have to lower the prices just a little bit (say 1-5%) in order to be able to sell the same amounts as before
                    No. No one is just going to buy your product for a higher price. They will buy less. So you will sell less, at a lower price.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out government support for affected industries.

Until the states get a sane government or until it disintegrates. Then we can make trade deals with the New Californian Republic and other new nations while avoiding the toxic ones.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out government support for affected industries.

You've been supporting industries all along and it's hurting our workers. No more or else. You can not hold out.

Comment

• Such a joke. The Canadian economy can't even stand alone, not without US. Backstabber is trying to stab himself.

Comment

No. No one is just going to buy your product for a higher price. They will buy less. So you will sell less, at a lower price.
                            The other countries in the world don't have the US tariffs on steel. They pay the same prices as before.
                            The US manufacturers are just one customer of many ... if we, for example, lower our steel prices by 2 % and this results in cutomers in Canada and Asia ordering more steel (and enough to offset the lower US demand for our steel (due to them being affected by the tariffs)) then, from the standpoint of german steel makers, everything is fine

Also:
                            If US manufacturers need steel of a higher quality and their only major source for said steel is the EU (due to the US steel industry and china only producing low quality steel) then they will have to buy this steel, no matter the 25% tariffs or not.

Comment

• Yes we can. If all the republican states loose their export markets, before long trump's political career will go the way of Caesar.
                              Forget Trudeau, it's his fellow republicans he should be worried about.

Comment

The other countries in the world don't have the US tariffs on steel. They pay the same prices as before.
                                The US manufacturers are just one customer of many ... if we, for example, lower our steel prices by 2 % and this results in cutomers in Canada and Asia ordering more steel (and enough to offset the lower US demand for our steel (due to them being affected by the tariffs)) then, from the standpoint of german steel makers, everything is fine
                                That's not how it works, but let's say that it does. Then you haven't been harmed, and can't legitimately complain.

Comment

Working...
                                X