Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post

The farmers in the affected states will have fewer people buying their crops forcing them to sell at lower prices, slashing their income.
    Maybe they aren't even able to sell their whole produce, possibly forcing them to use it as expensive animal feed or let it rot in the Silos
    (especially theUS corn farmers come to my mind, which predominately seem to produce for export to mexico ... and may be doomed if mexico enacts punitive tariffs on corn (and mexican food producers get their corn from southern america instead of the USA))
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post

Maybe they aren't even able to sell their whole produce, possibly forcing them to use it as expensive animal feed or let it rot in the Silos
      (especially theUS corn farmers come to my mind, which predominately seem to produce for export to mexico ... and may be doomed if mexico enacts punitive tariffs on corn (and mexican food producers get their corn from southern america instead of the USA))
      No. They will sell everything. It's a world market.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Broken_Erika View Post

The farmers in the affected states will have fewer people buying their crops forcing them to sell at lower prices, slashing their income.
        But that's the point of comparing total production to what sales might be lost. It's insignificant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          Yeah, but Kid knows better than those actually affected. Like this Missouri farmer -

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/trump-s...lies-1.4686734
          Just some farmers opinion, not based on any calculation of potential loss.

Comment

• Probably individual Americans will feel the hurt more by the import tariffs that increase the price of imports, than by the retaliatory tarriffs. We run a massive trade deficit after all, and have a glorious history of agricultural subsidies and paying farmers to not grow stuff. So the losses in exports will be socialized, spread around enough to dilute and obscure the effect.

If the USD ends up being dropped as world reserve currency then the trade deficit would hurt a lot more.

Comment

• That's the real fear. If we can't just print money when we need it, the long term effect would be devastating.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• For the USD to be dropped something has to be able to take over and I don't see that.

Comment

• A model of a man
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• DP ... dunno why
                    Last edited by Proteus_MST; June 1, 2018, 16:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post

Just some farmers opinion, not based on any calculation of potential loss.
                      ""Here's this harm we're inflicting on ourselves. I feel like I should be able to do something about it. And I can't," said Hurst, who is also the president of the Missouri Farm Bureau. "

A Missouri corn farmer is worried about NAFTA and what could happen to his farm, his family and his community if the U.S. pulls out of the trade agreement, as President Donald Trump has threatened to do.

Would you like some lotion for that burn? It's still tariff free afaik.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• How do you make it through a day? Man you are some kind of stupid.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

How do you make it through a day? Man you are some kind of stupid.
                          And you have just come to this conclusion...
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                            Silvio Berlusconi Agrees!
                            Bunga! Bunga!
                            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ming View Post

And you have just come to this conclusion...
                              There should be some sort of test before someone is allowed to own a keyboard.

Comment

""Here's this harm we're inflicting on ourselves. I feel like I should be able to do something about it. And I can't," said Hurst, who is also the president of the Missouri Farm Bureau. "

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nafta-c...rump-1.4406520

Would you like some lotion for that burn? It's still tariff free afaik.
                                Do you ever try to understand things reasoning with economics, or do you just repeat other people's opinions that you like?

Comment

Working...
                                X