No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Canadian government said Wednesday that it was contemplating its options. Liberal MP Wayne Easter, chair of the Commons finance committee and co-chair of the Canada-U.S. Interparliamentary Group, said retaliatory tariffs could target “endless products because there’s endless trade. One of the areas the U.S. is certainly most vulnerable is their farm sector. And you know who won all those states in the last election?”
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
      The Trump Trade War is on.

I expect our government will be targeting agricultural products.

The Trump supporters in the red states can feel the pain brought about by their guy's policies.

Winning!
      Seems like the red states will get hit double by the Trumpian trade war.
      Their metal working and car manufacturing industry will get hit by the import tariffs on steel, aluminium and auto parts ....
      and their farmers (and foodstuff and beverage producers) will get hit by the retaliatory tariffs on agricultural products.

But I guess it will be the fault of the Democrats again
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Trump has been using the threat of tariffs as a cudgel in our ongoing NAFTA negotiations.

We don't respond well to bullies.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Nobody likes bullies. Unfortunately, that doesn’t help when you’re getting a beat down.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• But very pleasing when the bully gets the beat down.

Comment

• "We'll see what happens"
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Our PM with a parliamentary majority can maintain unity better than Trump can manage his herd of Republican cats.

I see from US news the Repugs are already grumbling - On the first day.

Canada is #1 export for US food exports. The hayseeds will feel the reaction.

Republicans on Capitol Hill were fuming after the White House abruptly announced it would begin imposing steel and aluminum tariffs Friday on US allies Canada, Mexico and the European Union.

Comment

• Currently the US produces about 60% of the aluminium it uses... most of the rest comes from Canada. It will now be more expensive. Hahahahahahaha. It is almost as though President Monkey-butt Face doesn't understand anything about trade. And yes, red states will be reduced to dustbowl status by the time US mid-terms take place.
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Canada can not do that.

Comment

• He said: what were you thinking when you did this? I said: I thought she was white, she looks like my family! He scoffed & said: "what u have done is egregious, and unforgivable.' I begged 4 my crews jobs. Will I ever recover from this pain? omg
                      -Roseanne

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                        The Trump Trade War is on.

I expect our government will be targeting agricultural products.

The Trump supporters in the red states can feel the pain brought about by their guy's policies.

Winning!
                        Just make sure you target stuff from fly over country and not California. So... Soy beans, corn, and wheat are good, but wine, cheese, fruits, and veggies are bad.

Don't make us do a tomato embargo on your asses. Your pizza will be dry and lacking in pizza sauce. You want your cauliflower smothered in hollandaise sauce and bacon bits, right?

Canadians: "My doctor told me to eat more veggies and I found once I drenched them in a sauce made with melted cheese and lots of butter then top it all with fried bacon they are pretty good."
                        Last edited by Dinner; May 31, 2018, 22:18.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                          Uncle Sparky commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Citrus fruit is on the list... from Florida, not California. EU & Mexico are taking similar steps.

• The list is out. For the most part it is a very focused list of items aimed at Trump's supporters. ie chocolate from PA

25% on steel and alum and 10% on a whole host of items.

https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consul...cmpcaa-eng.asp

Comment

• Don't get too uppity, Wezil, remember that 87% of NAFTA is the US so even though everyone gets hurt in Trumps trade war some can get hurt far more then others despite flag wave politicians saying otherwise.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                            Don't get too uppity, Wezil, remember that 87% of NAFTA is the US so even though everyone gets hurt in Trumps trade war some can get hurt far more then others despite flag wave politicians saying otherwise.
                            For at least some important products there seem to be alternatives that become viable if targetedin a trade war.
                            Example:
                            If Mexio puts punitive tariffs on corn (which seems to be likely) AFAIK there already are southern american countries which would be more than happy to replace the USA as main supplier for their corn products. Considering that corn farming in the USA is done primarily for export and less so for consumption at home, this will be a huge hit for corn farmers
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• True words:

Comment

Working...
                              X