No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny that Kid bemoans Roseanne getting axed but hopes Netflix is destroyed for having Obama.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post
      Free market ... you cost your boss more than you bring in, you get canned. Tim and Roseanne crossed THAT line. There’s countless ways to do that in show business, which is why the vast vast majority of us don’t have shows.
      Sure, but I suspect these decisions are often made from a place of extreme risk aversion. Media companies often don't know exactly which outrage will result in real damage to the bottom line (something something viral social media), but they know it's happened in the past. So they're looking at the expected utility of dropping/keeping problematic employees. If most of the time this blows over, but every once in awhile it doesn't and the company gets slammed, this is a hard calculation to make.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• What exactly did she do? Something off-set? Is she the writer/director of the show as well and is therefore blamed for all the content?

I did not read all the above posts carefully, TBH. Age is slowing me down at alarming rates.
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
          The show is called Rosanne. It's nothing without her. ABCs loss. But America's loss too.
          While "Two and a half men" didn't bear Charlies name in its title, there was also the false belief (especially by Charlie Sheen himself),
          that the show would die without him (no surprise, considering the room he took in the show).
          Well, the show ran for 4 additional years (=seasons) after Charlie was fired

(Cannot comment on whether this would be true for Roseanne, as well ... not one of the shows I watch)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Tim and Roseanne crossed THAT line
            While I'll concede that Roaseanne's comment was on the racist side, Tim's never were. He just did some tame Obama jokes. 20 time tamer than most of the Trump Jokes. So if his jokes were over the line than SNL and a host of other shows should be cancelled. (just plain silly)
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post

Sure, but I suspect these decisions are often made from a place of extreme risk aversion. Media companies often don't know exactly which outrage will result in real damage to the bottom line (something something viral social media), but they know it's happened in the past. So they're looking at the expected utility of dropping/keeping problematic employees. If most of the time this blows over, but every once in awhile it doesn't and the company gets slammed, this is a hard calculation to make.
              Ideally everyone gets to determine the level of risk they are willing to accept. I don’t see a problem here?

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                While I'll concede that Roaseanne's comment was on the racist side, Tim's never were. He just did some tame Obama jokes. 20 time tamer than most of the Trump Jokes. So if his jokes were over the line than SNL and a host of other shows should be cancelled. (just plain silly)
                The line they both crossed is saying something their boss thought was bad for the bottom line.

Comment

The line they both crossed is saying something their boss thought was bad for the bottom line.
                  And what about Colbert's "Johnson holder" joke? That's literally putting down homosexuals.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Aeson
                    Did you even watch the show? I have many times and it was really tame and still mostly respectful. It just shows the bias of the business. You can call the president an orangutan as long as he's a republican. (as funny as I usually find it) Everyone makes fun of FOX for it's bias but have no problem trashing Trump at every turn. It used to be better than that.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                      Uncle Sparky commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The last president that got as much abuse as Trump was Nixon, and that only took off when he lost the respect of most Americans. Trump never had respect... he was/is the Andrew Dice Clay of presidents: he's proud of his infamy. I suspect he'll have his own public breakdown too once he's indicted.

• CBS must have thought Colbert was still a good bet to make them money.

For an advocate of free speech and captalism you sure don’t seem to like how either works....

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                      Aeson
                      Did you even watch the show? I have many times and it was really tame and still mostly respectful. It just shows the bias of the business. You can call the president an orangutan as long as he's a republican. (as funny as I usually find it) Everyone makes fun of FOX for it's bias but have no problem trashing Trump at every turn. It used to be better than that.
                      Why would I need to watch a TV show to know that people like to make money?

Comment

• nvm. stupid gif won't embed properly... stupid autocensor..
                        I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                        Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                        Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Ideally everyone gets to determine the level of risk they are willing to accept. I don’t see a problem here?
                          The uncertainty about the risk is high enough that they might actually be making a bad decision financially, which means they're being poopy capitalists. /me shrugs. They're perfectly within their rights to do this and I understand why they're doing it.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Yah, I wish I could make perfect decisions too, I’d own the world by 5pm. Actually, that would be a mistake, as I’d be killed by 6pm. Instead Id retire to my private island (opps typhoon) make that mountain hideaway (oops volcano) make that ... I have no idea what Id do ... which is kinda the point.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZEE View Post
                              What exactly did she do? Something off-set? Is she the writer/director of the show as well and is therefore blamed for all the content?

I did not read all the above posts carefully, TBH. Age is slowing me down at alarming rates.
                              She called someone a cross between a Islamist and a Ape (non-human).
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X