No announcement yet.

Thread for obviously newsworthy stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gribbler you have been on a rampage lately, and for your own sake should calm down. Watching Fox News and voting for Trump next election will do wonders for your anger-management issues!
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Comment

• The last President not to have a dog was William McKinley, who died of gangrene a year into his second term after a failed assassination ...
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aeson View Post

Given that vast amounts of produce are left on fields or composted due to lack of demand, it’s likely not an idle threat. Farmers in the US have definitely been hurt already.
          Chinese tariffs have had an impact, what I don’t see is Russia’s actions having any significant additional effect unless they are increasing production.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post

Chinese tariffs have had an impact, what I don’t see is Russia’s actions having any significant additional effect unless they are increasing production.
            The rising demand for russian soybeans and poultry in China (due to the trade war) could be the right incentive for them to do so.
            They surely have enough fertile soil that could get turned into additional fields.

And they also have the advantage (over the USA) of a land border to China, meaning that any agricultural produce could be sent via freight trains instead of having to be transported a long distance via ships (with the transport via train possibly also being better for the environment (less CO2 produced))
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• pchang
              pchang commented
              Editing a comment
              Rail links between Russia and China are not as good as you assume.

• Over all, total world demand for these farm goods has not changed despite the trade war. So the goods will just end up flowing to different places and probably be less efficient about it as established trade patterns are over altered. It simy will not be as big an impact as people think plus Chinese users are going to have to accept lower quality inferior products which is why they bought American to begin with.

If it ends up forcing American agrocorps to diversify production then I count that as a long term good thing.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• If it was economical to ship US produce to these markets you think will soak up US produce that otherwise would go to China ... the US would already be shipping part of our surplus to those markets.

The reality is that there is more food produced than there are consumers with means to consume, and those other markets aren’t going to get less competitive... they will get more competitive.

US farmers can’t drive market diversification on a mass scale either. Consumers and economics determine who is going to buy what. If you grow stuff that doesn’t have excess demand at best you will make growing that less economical, and at worst you’ll have no one to sell to and remain solvent.

Also most farmers do not have the capital to change their operations and equipment is often very specialized. If your land and equipment is suited for soy, you can’t just turn your 1500 acres into market gardens (or even less so into orchards) without a massive investment into new equipment.

This is bad for the US farmer. No amount of trade war apologetics is going to change that. Even Trump understands that, which is why he’s paying off farmers to get through it.

Comment

• All true, at least in part, but to use soy beans as an example: Brazilian and Russian soy beans used to be sold some where, now they are being shipped to China as replacements for American soy beans due to the trade war. The people who used to buy those Russian and Brazilian soy beans presumably still need and want some soy beans. Yes, prices will be lower and markets less efficient for a time but things will adjust.

Comment

• AOC gets four pinocchios for blatant lies then tries to make weak excuses. She is more like Trump then you think; ignorant, vain, and doesn't really care about the truth.

Comment

• Uncle Sparky
                    Uncle Sparky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Isn't it great that you can refer to her by her initials, and a Canadian knows exactly what newly elected 29 year old Democrat you're talking about. She will have a long, successful career, long after President Pvssygrabber dies...

• Dinner
                    Dinner commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is easier than typing out her whole name. Also you don't seem to have had any troubles figuring it out. As for a long and successful career... It will depend on how stupid her district voters are and how much they value style over substance.

• Everyone who makes a stupid tweet is just like Trump!

Comment

• A 60 minutes interview where her claims got four pinocchios (the worst possible rating) by the Washington Post. This isn't the first time and instead is a pattern.

Comment

• -Jrabbit
                      -Jrabbit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      She's 29 and just got sworn in for her first term. Trump will tell you that anything said during campaigning can't be considered a lie. So it's probably a bit early to declare that OCS has a "pattern of lying." Obviously, there's cause for concern, but maybe we should judge her by her actions while in office.

Just a thought...

• Dinner
                      Dinner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I do not like Trump, this should be obvious to anyone who pays attention, but saying "Trump does it" should not be good enough for Democrats and we should demand better.

• The 60 Minutes interviewer was asking her about a tweet that had been rated as "four pinocchios", she didn't make the four pinocchio statement during an interview. And really WaPo was exaggerating, the media doesn't want to be accused of having a liberal bias so they try to pander to conservatives by being very harsh on Democrats.

Comment

• Dinner
                      Dinner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WaPo was not exaggerating. It is extremely fair to say AOC was, at the very least, exaggerating but more likely was just a clueless ******** when she claimed there was 21 trillion in military misallocations and expenditures. That is just unforgivably stupid.

• Imagine you had a fall when ricing a bike and now have 20k in debts despite having a health insurance.

Good sign that not only you are living in the USA, but that you might, more preciselöy, living in the San Francisco Bay area.

Seems like there is a hospital that is greedy even for US standards, the Zuckerberg SF general hospital (nope, it isn't owned by Mark Zuckerberg, but he once donated 75 mio to it)
                    Seems like this hospitals ER is out of network with all private insurers, so the insurers cover only a small percentage of the costs.

And people who have to go to the ER usually don't have a say to which hospital they are taken (and even if, most don't know which hospitals have contracts with their health insurance provider), so most emergencies end up getting taken to the Zuckerberg hospital (and, later, receive a not so nice surprise with their ER bills)

Must be horrible to always have to know which hospital you can or cannot visit, due to your health insurance providers contracts
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Dinner
                      Dinner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is horrible. I am glad I have VA as it is the best single payer provider in the country plus it is free for us vets (though there are some copays for medications).

• Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                    All true, at least in part, but to use soy beans as an example: Brazilian and Russian soy beans used to be sold some where, now they are being shipped to China as replacements for American soy beans due to the trade war. The people who used to buy those Russian and Brazilian soy beans presumably still need and want some soy beans. Yes, prices will be lower and markets less efficient for a time but things will adjust.
                    If shipping produce to market X was demonstrably deemed not viable before tariffs... what makes you think it will be viable when prices drop making it even less viable?

The adjustments here will be government intervention and/or US farmers getting screwed.

Comment

• Trump supporter complains shutdown is 'not hurting the people he needs to be hurting'

A prison employee in Florida who voted for President Trump argued that Trump is to blame for the current government shutdown. “I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” Crystal Minton told The New York Times in an article published Monday. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

Minton's comments came as part of an expansive report from the newspaper on how the government shutdown, as well as a hurricane, have impacted a Florida town.

The Times notes that a federal prison in Marianna, Fla., lost much of its roof as a result of Hurricane Michael, which hit parts of the state last October. The damage caused hundreds of inmates to be relocated to a facility in Yazoo City, Miss.

Corrections officers from Florida have had to commute 400 miles to the site of the prison since then for two-week stints in their jobs. As of this week, the corrections officers are now doing so without being paid.

“You add a hurricane, and it’s just too much,” Mike Vinzant, a 32-year-old guard and the president of the local prison officers’ union, told the newspaper.

A partial government shutdown began on Dec. 22 after Democrats and Republicans failed to reach an agreement on a new Congressional spending bill.

Trump has asked that the bill include $5 billion for a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, which Democrats oppose.

The shutdown has impacted hundreds of thousands of federal workers around the nation. The Times noted that the federal prison in Marianna employed 300 people.

The newspaper additionally noted that Minton, a secretary, had previously obtained permission to postpone her job responsibilities in Mississippi until February. She is a single mother caring for disabled parents, The Times noted.
                      https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-the-people-he

I wonder who are the people Trump voters were trying to hurt

Comment

Working...
                      X